Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Kent Lake Bass Club

Started by McCarter, September 20, 2007, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

The 4 boat curse is in full effect.  And we even had a new boat again.  Everybody weighed fish this time.

The fishing started out pretty tough for me and Kev.  We hit a couple of our 'good' spots but couldnt get anything going.  The wind was howling pretty good which i thought would have put the fish in full blown feed mode, but bites the first hour and a half were hard to come by.  Kev finally hooked up with our first keeper on a rattle trap.  I was burning a spinnerbait past shoreline trees and went unbitten for quite some time.  Finally, i hooked into a 13.8739" largie that we couldnt stretch.  But next cast, i hooked a 15" smallie.  From there, i thought we figured it out.  But with the exception of a few shorts, there would be no more keepers on fast moving baits.

We finally got onto a pod of fish on some deep rocks using jigs and hula grubs.  We made a limit and culled the two smaller fish out to bring our 3 fish limit weight about 6.5 lbs.  It got kinda slow for the next 20 minutes, but with 10 minutes left Kev set the hook on a pig.  He was using a Nemesis 5" stick bait (oh yeah) in black with silver flake on a shakey head.  After a couple jumps and a couple good runs, she was in the net.  With only a couple minutes remaining, we culled out our smallest and headed to the ramp.

Heres the breakdown.

1st place:  Kevin Barrows/Brian McCarter 8.90 lbs $140

2nd place: Chris Harrison/Brian Langer 7.94 lbs

3rd place: Grant Shively/Jeff Cox 7.61 lbs

4th place: Kim Veenstra/Sean the neighbor 3.32 lbs

Big Bass: Kevin Barrows/Brian McCarter 4.50lbs $20

Again, we could only pay one spot.  This 4 boat thing is killing us.  A couple more guys who called and said they were coming were no shows.  Hopefully next week we can break the curse and get 6 boats.

A total of 11 fish were weighed, all alive, for a total weight of 27.77 lbs and an average of 2.52 lbs.

Thanks again to everyone who came out.  Big thanks to Grant Shively and Jeff Cox who decided to fish at the last minute to keep us at 4.  I dont think i could handle a 3 boat turnout.

Pictures will be up later today (hopefully)

McCarter himself :-\'

McCarter

We're at it again tonite.  5pm-8pm east launch.

McCarter

pics from last week

Revtro

I am so bummed I can't make these!  Grrr.  Too many schedule conflicts.  Looks like the fishing is pretty good on Kent right now.  I'm dying to get out there with you guys.  If you do this next year for the whole year, I WILL BE THERE!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

SethV

How late in the year will you be running these? 

When I get back in the country in a couple of weeks, it would be fun to fish a couple of them.

Seth

Langer

Seth the 30th is the last Tuesday they said they will be doing them this year, then they will pick back up the Tuesday after the opener in the spring.  I'll be happy to meet you out there during the week whenever you want to go when you get back into the country.
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

McCarter

Finally broke the 4 boat curse last night.  We had a record setting 7 boats show up for what turned out to be a slugfest on the mighty Kent. 

The weather was a bit dismal but the big fish were biting.  Kev and I got a good one right off the bat and another that went 2 lbs.  We thought it was going to be a good night, but when we got to our hot spot that had been doing it for us the weeks prior, the pattern was no longer holding up.  We did manage to scratch out a decent keeper there to cull us up about a half of a pound.  But it still wasnt the size fish we have come to expect from this area.  My only guess is the bigger fish have left this area in search of minners.

Here is the breakdown.  Notice how close the top 4 were.  it was anybodys ball game last night.  Also, i am posting the teams big fish next to there weights to show the quality that was brought in last night.

1st place:  Tony Yancey/Alex  9.85lbs 4.26lb big bass $185

2nd place:  Mike/Charles  9.57lbs 4.01lb big bass $60

3rd place: Dale Huff  9.41lbs 3.97lbs big bass

4th place:  Kevin Barrows/Brian McCarter 9.01lbs 4.31lb big bass $35

5th place:  Chris Harrison/Brian Lang 4.90lbs

6th place:  Kim Veenstra/Sean  4.63lbs

7th place: Ryan Said/Fred Said  3.51lbs.

It was nice to finally pay out 2 spots.  We got a lot of good feedback from the new members so i expect this to keep growing.  Next season should be a lot of fun.

Thanks to everyone who came out.  And congrats to the big winners.  There were some very nice bags weighed again.  A total of 19 fish were weighed for a total of 50.88 lbs and an average of 2.67 lbs.  Not too shabby.  All fish were released alive and well.

Come check us out next tuesday.  Same bat place, same bat time.

McCarter

pics

dhuff

I must say it was a fun night out there.  The fish were on the feed.  That three fish limit was decent but I was not used to only having three good keepers in the boat and throwing back 2.5 lb fish.  Could of had over 14lbs last night.  The quality fish are out there and they are biting. 

Will see you guys next tuesday. 

McCarter

Bring your rain gear tonite.  Weather report says showers are supposed to dwindle by mid afternoon, but we all know how untrustworthy weathermen can be. 

Same time and place.

Langer

Here are some pics I took at the last tuesday nighter.
-2008 President

LAPORTE

Nice fish  ;D Do you have the break down of the tourney ? How many fish, weights ?
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Team houston

If you guys are doing this again tommorrow(Oct 30th) I can fish as a non-boater if you need one. Let me know so I can bring my stuff to work and leave from here.

Team houston

I did bring some stuff to work so if anyone needs a partner let me know by 3pm, so I can head directly there.

Bender

I've actually got a partner for tonight, I am usually hunting around about this time on Tuesdays. Sorry.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

McCarter

Hey gang.  I dont what i did with the results from last week.  And i cant find the results from last night.  I think i might have left them on the picnic table after cleaning up.  But i have a pretty good memory so here goes.

1st place:  Charles Shaw  9.97lbs $210 (biggest weight of the season)

2nd place: Tony/Alex 8.58lbs $70

3rd place Kevin/Brian 7.10 lbs

4th place Team Langer 6.85lbs

5th place The guys in the bullet who won last week 6.24lbs.

3 boats did not weigh fish

Big bass: Charles Shaw 4.41 lbs SMALLMOUTH $40

We had 8 boats last night and 9 boats last tuesday.  Its making for some good competition.  And the same guys arent winning every week so thats good.  Unfotunatly, last night was our last Tuesday night tournament for 2007.  We will pick it back up next year the Tuesday immediatly following the opener.  From there, we will fish every other Tuesday until the end of the season.

We have some plans for next season regarding points.  I dont know yet how we are going to do it, but in the end, we will be fishing for Angler of the Year and ultimatly for the championship.  We are open to your suggestions regarding anything involved in these tournaments, especially the points thing. 

Also, a couple of the guys have requested we move the tournaments to Wednesday night so they can fish both the NBAA and the KLBA.  LIke i have said in the past, i really dont care what day we fish on.  I just need an excuse to fish once during the week.  But in the end, majority will rule.  My only concern is, if we change it to Wednesday night, we might get too many boats which will ultimatly lead to Kev and I getting burned out since we are doing this for free.  We want to keep it at 100% payback, always!  But if it gets to the point where we are having to deal with 25 boats or more, problems are going to start popping up, permits will need to be pulled, politics will ruin it, we will be held down by the man.  So please please please give us feedback.

Next year, we will be better organized and should be able to come up with some good extras to give away at some of the tournaments.  Maybe some day we can even give away a boat.  Unfortunatly, it will probably be my boat.  And trust me, you dont want it.  But it does have some custom duct tape accents on the seats which you might be into.  And as far as i know, it still floats but thats about it. 

Thanks to everyone who fished with us these past few weeks.  I cant think of anything better than hanging out with you fine folks after work every tuesday.  And the fishing hasnt been too bad, either.

McCarter himself :-\' and KBar aka Kdawg aka Kev (fishon1219)

Langer

Almost McCarter,  Team Langer got 5th with 5.26, and Team Bullet was 4th with 6+.  I would like to say great job to the both of you with organizing and running these, I had a blast fishing them and am sad that the season has come to a close, but work permitting I will be back in the Spring.  Attached are some pictures from last night.
-2008 President

Langer

Here's a couple more.
-2008 President