Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Kent Lake Bass Club

Started by McCarter, September 20, 2007, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

Hey Gang,

Kev and I want to start up a low key bass club for Kent Lake.

Here is our idea so far:

No membership fee

$35/team entry fee. 

$5 optional big bass pot

100% payback at the ramp

You can use as many different parnters as you want (only 2 guys per boat per tournament obviously ) but you dont have to fish with the same guy everytime.

We are thinking about a tuesday night deal.  We want to test the waters a little this year so we are going to have our first event this coming tuesday Oct 25 out of the east launch.  We will fish from 5 pm - 8 pm.   I already have 4 boats lined up.  It will start getting dark at around 7:30 but we should have enough light left to finish at 8 i hope i hope i hope. 

Thinking about a 3 fish limit as well.  Would like your feedback on this though.

We will fish a championship tournament at the end of the year ( after the chiller thriller put on by Benny Miller which is the last Saturday in Oct).  The Championship will be the following tuesday and the biggest weight from the Chiller Thriller and The championship tournament combined wins the Championship.  Would also like your feedback on this as well.

For next year we are looking at doing every other tuesday night from 5-8 and possibly working out a points system to qualify for the championship, but nothing is set in stone.  Basically we want to see who is interested in having a bi weekly slug fest on Kent and build the club around the wants and wishes of those who want to fish it.

For now, we just want to get together with yall and have some fun out there.  Since the season is coming to a quick end, we want to squeeze in a couple low key fun tournaments.  But we will throw around ideas after each event and get some ideas from you guys on what we should do with this.

Hopefully you can join us.  Kent is an awesome lake and with a bi weekly tournament, especially this time of year, will produce some very big fish.

So, is anyone interested?  I am going to lie to my wife either way and tell her that there is a tournament every tuesday night regardless of whether this gets off the ground or not.  I need to fish.  My hands used to smell like fish slime 5-6 days a week, now they smell like baby diapers all 7. 

FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McCarter himself :-\'

McCarter

Correction,  the first tournament will be this coming tuesday SEPT 25, not Oct 25.  bUT WE WILL BE HAVING ONE (sorry about the caps, twas a misfire )  on october 23rd as well.  ANd every tuesday in between.  So basically, from this day foward, we will have a kent lake tournament every tuesday starting sEPT 25 and ending Oct 30.  If you can make it, great.  If you cant, well then may god have mercy on your soul.

Revtro

My partner and I dropped the Tuesday night tourneys we were doing, so let me speak with him and I'll get back to you.  It sound like fun.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Bender

I am going to try to make as many of these as possible. We don't turn the clocks back until the first Sunday in November so it shouldn't get dark too early.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Revtro

IMO a 3 fish limit is a good idea since this lake can be so feast or famine.  I know there are some guys who can bag a limit most days out there, but most of the people I know don't have that easy of a time out there.  3 bass limit evens the field a bit.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

McCarter

Its a go for tonite.  I will be there at around 4:30 to start taking money.  We ooze off at 5 pm sharp. 

If there are any non boaters who want to fish this event, Benny Miller is looking for a partner.  Benny is a very good stick on Kent Lake.  He has taken my money on more than one occasion.  He always finds the big largies.

If you are interested in fishing with Benny, give me a call and let me know and I will put you 2 in touch.

248-379-4724

See ya tonite.

Bender

Had a good time and some good fish out there tonight, nothing better than smallies on topwater. Thanks for putting this together and hopefully get some more boats next week. I think the weather forecast being so bad kept some away, I was 1/2 mile from home when the sky let loose and it was a bear trying to back down my driveway and into the garage in that downpour.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

McCarter

Could have used more boats.  But it was fun none the less.  The fishing wasnt great for me, but my partner did alright.

Here is the breakdown:

4 boats total

3 boats weighed limits of 3 fish

no dead fish

total weight for 9 fish: 22.44 lbs

1st place:  Tony Yancey/Brian McCarter 8.48 lbs  $140

2nd place:  Chris Harrison/Fred the father-in-law 7.42 lbs

3rd place: Scott Miller/partner 6.54 lbs

4th place:  Benny Miller/partner had one fish but didnt weigh it.

Big Bass: Tony Yancey/Brian McCarter 3.15 lbs  $20

I was half expecting someone to come in with 12 lbs for 3 fish.  It can be like that on Kent lake.  But alas, we were all ignored by the big bite.  But everyone caught fish and had fun and thats what really matters.  Unfortunatly, we could only pay out one place.  We had a few last minute cancellations including my partner, who was too wrapped up in the new Halo 3 game (which i hear can be ordered from site sponsor Amazon.com, use the links to the right) which is why Tony and I ended up together.  Hopefully we will have a few more boats for next tuesdays tourney.

Thanks to Chris, Benny, and Scott and there partners for making it out.  And big thanks to Benny for supplying the scale and bags!

dhuff

The reason you probably didn't have as good of a turnout as you would of liked is because there was a NBAA fall tourney that went out of the west ramp.  It took 16 and change for first place there second place was 14 and change and my partner and I ended up in third place with 11.41  Big bass was 4.15lb largemouth and we had second big bass with a 3.87 lb smallmouth.  I think we had close to 15 boats.

Revtro

I should be able to make the next one.  My partner wasn't able to commit to them, but I found someone else.  So if all goes as planned, I'll see you guys Tuesday.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

McCarter

We are fishng again tonite. 

East Launch

5 pm - 8 pm

$35 per team and $5 big bass

3 fish limit

Revtro

Crap.. couldn't make the 5pm start time.  Sorry guys.  Hope you had a decent turnout.  I'll try again for next week.. Grr.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

sitting here at 7:59 and it sure is dark out there.  you guys are tough.  my mom won't let me stay out after the street lights come on.

there is a DNR research boat going by as i write this with lights on shocking fish.  really looks neat.  it has huge bright lights really light up the water.

McCarter

4 boats again.  A couple guys from last week couldnt make it this week, but we had 2 new boats to make up for it.

Fishing was good, and it could have been better.  My expectations of a 3 fish bag tipping 12 lbs were almost met last night.  Kev and I weighed 3 fish for 9.66 lbs with one going 4.47 and another 3.97.  We had the bites to bring in another 4 lber but missed.

In other interesting news, there were a total of 7 fish weighed for a total weight of for a total of 20.43 lbs.  Thats almost a 3 lb average.  I know its only 4 boats but i think it really speaks for the quality of the fishery.

Here is the breakdown.

1st place:  Kevin Barrows/Brian McCarter 9.66 lbs $140

2nd place:  Tony Yancey/Garry 7.83 lbs

3rd place: Chris Harrison/Fred the father in law 2.94 lbs

4th place: Kim Veenstra/Sean 0.00 lbs

Big Bass: Kevin Barrows/Brian McCarter 4.47 lbs $20

Unfortunatly we could only pay one spot again.  But i think next week we will have more boats.  Both guys who didnt make it last night should be back next tuesday and a couple guys who want to fish are fishing the BFL regional right now.  Also, Marcel Veenstra may be there fishing with Rob Bakeman of Wonderland Marine West.  If you have ever wanted to fish against a pro, this might be your chance.

Rev, if you want to fish but dont think you can make it by 5:00 pm, just show up when you can and call me.  I will meet you to check your livewell and take your entry fee.  We are pretty lax when it comes to that.  I know its hard to make 5 pm on a work day ;).

So thats it.  Kent is giving up some very nice bass right now and they are hitting just about everything.  And i promise to bring my camera next time so i can post some pics.  There were some very nice fish weighed last night and no camera.  Oops.

bosshawg

hey brian, for those of us fishing the "chiller thriller", any chance your not? kidding of course - but is there still a tournament that saturday. haven't heard or seen any anouncements for other than listed on R.Randolps tournament list.
if it feels good - SET THE HOOK!!

Michigan Bass Busters

McCarter

Me and Kev will be there but dont worry.  I have bombed the last two years and Im probably good for a hat trick.  Honestly, with the first two KLBA events I was lucky.  The first one, i only caught 2 keepers and neither were big enough to cull out my partners fish, so my partner is to blame for the win.  The second one was kinda a fluke.  The big largie i caught was a suprise cuz i dont really catch any largemouth in that spot.  Its mostly a smallie spot.  ANd the way the smallmouth have been hitting, its a miracle that i even got a hook into her.  They hit like a mack truck but when you set the hook, there is nothing there.  The only thing i can think of why they are doing this is, it must be a territorial thing.  Maybe they just dont like anything invading there space when they are not in feed mode.  Either way, I wouldnt worry too much about me in the Chiller Thriller, but my partner is one to watch out for.  His name is Kevin Barrows.  Maybe you have heard of him.  He is famous in these parts. ;)

The chiller thriller is a go.  Benny Miller actually fishes with us on Tuesday nights.  It will be the last saturday in Oct.

McCarter

Its on again tonight.  I have talked to a few more boats that are supposed to come out.  Looks like we will be able to pay out more than one spot for this one. 

Chris Harrison is looking for a partner if anyone is interested.  Please let me know if you would like to fish with Chris aka Bender.

Kent Lake

East Boat ramp

5 pm - 8 pm

3 fish limit

$35 per team or individual

$5 optional big bass

Bender

Please send me a PM on here if you are looking to fish this evening.
Update: Looking forward to fishing with Langer this evening! 
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Langer

Spot Filled.  See ya tonight.
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

MIBassKid

Hey Chris if you ever need another partner at some point let me know.
-Kid