Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

4 lb Pirahna caught in LSC

Started by McCarter, August 20, 2007, 10:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

Anyone heard this?  A guy came into the shop today to pick up some goodies and mentioned this to me.  He said it was caught off the 9 mile pier and was 18" long and 4 lbs.  Supposedly, he has a newspaper article with pictures that he said he would bring in for me to check out tomorrow. 

Just curious if anyone else heard about this.

McCarter himself :-\'

dartag

Cheetam

Yep...heard the same thing.  He took it to the DNR station on South River Road to authenticate it.  The DNR basically said the fish probably out grew its tank and the owner (illegally) threw it in the lake. No need to worry about a population explosion of them though, since it would not have survived the winter.
Jeff

Durand Dan

Seems I remember one being caught at Lake Fenton several years ago too.

Revtro

I haven't heard this particular story, but it seems we hear about the same sort of thing every year.  Some idiot thinks it would be funny to put non-native species into the lake.  It's all fun and games with species that can't survive in fresh water or in the winter freeze... but what about some other problem species that ends up taking hold here?  Isn't that how "Nessie" ended up in Loch Ness?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dashaver63

We have had that problem down here in our local reservoirs, people putting those pirahna in them and the DNR has found that they actually cross bread the bluegill. Some people just don't think. Thats not quite as bad though as the ones that release they're Pythons and Boa's because they can't either afford to feed them or can't control them any more. Next thing you know the nieghbor's dog is gone and your swimming pool has an unwanted visitor.

Revtro

QuoteThats not quite as bad though as the ones that release they're Pythons and Boa's because they can't either afford to feed them or can't control them any more.

No lie man... I opened my garage a couple of years ago and nearly stepped on a Ball Python.  The thing was about 5 foot long and coiled up and I missed stepping on it by mere inches.  At the time I didn't know what it was, so it scared me nearly to death. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Ok - piranhas everywhere (one caught in Lake Lansing a few years ago), but that is not as weird as Revtro finding a Ball Python in his garage!!! What the?!?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

Here's another one for you. A guy I work with was in his garage with the door up and got attacked by a bobcat. Tore up his arm and one leg pretty good.