Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Roadblocks to the Big Time!

Started by Bulletproof, February 03, 2006, 02:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulletproof

Okay this question may be more suited for you savvy veterans out there.  I think it's safe to say that many of us on this board aspire to make it big!  Fishing for living would definitely have its perks. 

From your experience what are some of the major obstacles stopping you from not making it to the top level?  i know some answers are going to be obvious like not bringing in consistent big bags and winning major tournaments but what do you think are some of the little factors impeding the process.?  I know money and time are also important factors to consider too.  I guess this post is just more of a conversation starter than anything to generate some opinions and possibly put forth a little wisdom.

What do you think is the best avenue for a michigan amateur?--BFL's, Federations?
I am haunted by waters.

blakstr1

Well IMO, competition wise fish everything!  I would think if you worked your way up through the BFL's, Stren's, then to the "Big Time" it would help mentally prepare you, time on the water is key.  You could fish the Bassmaster opens as well, maybe starting with the weekend series, just anything to stay on the water and compete.  It doesn't hurt even at merely the federation club level to enter some of the pro tour events as a non-boater.  Just being around that firece competition and feeling what they go through will help with the mental toughness, plus you can learn alot from a touring pro too.

Biggest holdbacks - Family and $$$. 
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

5alive

Time and money are biggest. You can't beat time on the water, more experience with success is huge. If your not successful at the lower levels, then why try the big time. Some guys have proved this theory wrong but most fail when trying to go big too fast. You really need to gain some top level experience without spending all your money first. I feel if a person is real serious about bass fishing, they need to try the co-angler side first to gain experience from the higher level tournaments, without the large cost. I feel that the BFl and Weekend series aren't really doing that, because one day tournaments have some luck involved. You will get more out of a Stren type level, multiple days, larger fields and more experienced fisherman, plus, the trail travels to different bodies of water outside the "local" lakes. But in all this, if the weekend type trails visit your favorite body of water, test yourself and see were you stack up against the local guys. A good test is go to a large event, don't enter, but prepare and fish it as though you were. See where you would have finished, this way you tested yourself, but didn't put up the entry fee. Again knowledge and time on the water are the biggest advantages, get as much as you can without going broke.

I really like how the Stren series is run, if I could get more practice time,  I would definitely try it out. I have had some success there and have seen what the talent is like, and feel I could compete, but just don't have the time away from the guaranteed money (my job) to do it right. The costs aren't out of line to what you can win either.
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

McCarter

Major road blocks..................hmmmmmmm, i would have to say a lack of talent would be the biggest for me.  Other than that, time and money.  But the talent one would be #1.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

gnewski5

For me, it's family (not complaining mind you). I've got 3 kids in jr. high and high school. Between the sports, plays, quiors, ect...ect... every day is go, go, go. But thats what is important right now. As they head off to enter the world that time won't be such a factor.

Money would have to be next. I think talent is directly connected to time on the water.

smbassman

National experiance, outgoing personality to gain sponsors/recognition, willing to fish 365 days a year and 12-16 hours a day.  Just looking at the top guys in the region that are just below pro level but still very talented - they are usually fishing in a tournament(or two), every weekend of the season and traveling across the region.  I am not exactly sure how they do it, unless they are indepentantly wealthy and have no family. 

joshimoto son

Bulletproof,

I am testing the waters myself just this year, and I wanted to share something with you that dawned on me last night.
I don't know if you know this... but I'm going to down to South Carolina in April to fish as a Co-angler in my first Citgo BassMasters Open event.

I've been talking to Caralina Chip about what to expect when I go down there.
I told him that I was a little worried about not finding somebody to practice with when I went down there, because I was going to leave my boat at home.

He suggested that I take my boat and do my own homework that way I might be able to contribute some knowledge to the pro in the front of the boat, based on my own practice.

That put a whole new perspective on things for me... I'm now going down there with a boater's mentallity and co-anglers entry fee.

Hopefully, that makes sense to ya. If not, let me know and I'll give you the long winded version.

Revtro

I doubt I could compete talent-wise, but for me it all comes down to cash.? I just can't afford to fish the amount of events needed to acquire the tournament experience/knowledge I need.? So the learning curve is slower for guys like me who can't handle the high entry fees of these events, plus the fuel costs to fish them all.? An example:? I wanted to fish the Everstart, Detroit River event this year as a co-angler, but at the moment I don't have enough spare cash for the entry fee.? By the time I do, the entry window will have passed me by.? So it appears that I won't be able to fish up the next level at all this year.? Finances force me to stay fishing in the NBAA weeknights and maybe if I can afford it a few weekends.? (Don't get me wrong...I love the NBAA format and love fishing their events!)

I'm excited about things like the whole club-level national competition thing.? Perhaps this will be an inexpensive way to give guys in my situation a real shot at fishing up to the next level.? I'm fairly disenchanted with fishing the B.A.S.S. state championship because no matter how good you are the odds are way against you with a field that big.? Couple that with an entry fee that you are basically donating unless you make the team and it's just not a wise expenditure of money for me.? Now if there was a PAYBACK at that tournament (like there should be IMO!!!), that would be a whole different thing.? At least then if you do fairly well, even if you don't make the team, there is a chance at least at making some of your money back.? I can't stand the state championship format.?

Anyway, no slam on B.A.S.S. per se, I just don't like that format and with both major organizations, I just can't afford to fish their events.? That leaves me dreaming about fishing a big time event someday, but I doubt it'll ever happen unless I get a visit from Ed McMahon.? I'll just have to keep cheering on my local heroes and have fun fishing local events and keep my day job. (Which I'd never give up anyway)
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Bassman24

By no means am I an expert on this and it sounds like you realize money and time are major requirements, but I think it is the other factors we have to balance out first that get us started.  Belief, confidence and fear.

Many of us somewhere down the line have heard of the "American Dream" and have had thoughts of our own way to achieve that. There are so many that come from other countries to America and become successfull in business. I look at how the Japanese anglers have had tremendous success in fishing.  Some sacrifice everything to do it. They had to have all three of the above mentioned in the right perspective to make it work. 

Fishing is a business, and when you start a business you know it will cost money and time, but it is making the decision to do it that starts the ball rolling.

I guess I am saying, the money, the time and path you take are all part of the ride to the top, but it all starts with you and what your willing to take or give up to get there.

Good luck,
GT

George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

McCarter

Revtro

Very true GT.? I'd have a hard time arguing with that.? You are exactly right in what you said.?

The only thing I'd add though is that it isn't really as easy as all that when you factor a family into the equation.? If I were a single guy with some cash to spend, I'd say "yes" that's exactly how needs to happen.? And I'd go for it for sure.? But with a family, bills, and job obligations, deciding to "give it all up" for a shot at the big time that may not pan out, (most never make it to the "big time") isn't an easy decision at all.? It's really not that simple.? I know what you're getting at though and in essence you're correct I think.? Belief, confidence, and fear are perhaps the biggest factors.? But I'd include, Desire, Skill, and yes... Money.? It takes money up front to get a business started.? And you have to have some surplus in a new business to handle the growth period until the business is making money.?

QuoteI guess I am saying, the money, the time and path you take are all part of the ride to the top, but it all starts with you and what your willing to take or give up to get there.
? Can't argue with that.?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

looks like it you want to make a Million dollars in fishing you better start with 2 Million...  i have been reading in the other post about DRP in texas right now...   if you do the math..  5000 entry fee,  2 weeks in a motel plus food,  gas for the boat and truck...   at least the new format does pay 10,000.00 to 50th place but even at that you are breaking even..  it definately takes help from sponsors to make a living at it...  sure hope he makes a go of it....
think i will keep my day job and make fishing a hobby...   

think spring

ss

djkimmel

Quote from: PoorBoy on February 03, 2006, 07:57:42 AM
Major road blocks..................hmmmmmmm, i would have to say a lack of talent would be the biggest for me. Other than that, time and money. But the talent one would be #1.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Cmon! Your talents are legion  (I'm not sure what that means...)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

All good points - George is really hitting it on the head. Sacrafices for some do mean forsaking a close relationship and missing out on family events. Some people want it that bad and need that to make it.

Some are good enough they can add in more distraction and maybe still make it or be competitive.

It was hard on my wife when I was running all over in the 2001 + or - time without a real job. I had a blast (at times) and went the farthest I've gone with all that additional time on the water. I still didn't do as much time as I probably needed, but as I say, I wasn't by myself. So I did the best I could and tried to make up the time with my wife as best I could.

Kids would have made things really complicated. I love kids, but I have 14 brothers and sisters and so many nieces, nephews and godchildren, I get plenty of time with children when I want. I don't need any of my own really - I also helped raise my younger brothers and sisters for a while as a teenager.

I think for some of us, it is nice to fish circuits and events that can lead to a larger event that would make additional fishing easier and more enjoyable. And who knows where the right bit of hard work and luck might lead.

Plus, there are other ways to move forward in the fishing industry.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Savage

Even if you were single, fairly well financed, and had the confidence, it's not just as simple as go have fun fishing every day.? It's work!?

The guys on the tour are away from home for basically 3/4 of the year, so living out of a suitcase is a way of life.? Now let's talk about an event.? You get there days in advance, and spend 14-16 hours on the water for 3 or 4 straight days.? The whole time you are doing this, you must maintain a mental sherpness.? Now the tournament starts, and you get a non-boater to ride with you, which is always a crap-shoot.? Bigtime events these days are 3-4 day affair.? Now you have been on this lake for 6 to 8 straight days, from sun-up to sun-down (weigh-in can take forever) and then each night you have to strip down your equipment and put on fresh line, replace tackle, study maps, etc.

It looks glamorous on TV, but man, what a rough life it would be.? Having said all that, I would'nt mind trying it for a while, and still being able to come back to my job if I failed! ;D

I would need Prozac to be my major sponsor!

Just my two cents......
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

jamesjackson

HI everyone, this is my first post . Excellent site dan .
   I was rcently turned on to this site and have been watching for a few days now.  This topic is verry interesting to me because i have every intention of persueing a career at the professional level of bass angling.  I am nowhere near my goal .
but it is my goal for the long term.
    My short term goals are,1/ to spend as much time on the water as the law will allow,2/ and fish what tournaments i can afford at the time.3/ to put myself in position to have a chance to win every tournament i do fish .
  My mid term goals are ,1/ to become involved in the bass fishing world. Learning the politics of it from people like dan here who has achieved a profesional level of sucess outside the tournament standings. 2/work on my presentation off the water to become a more atractive prospect for possible sponsors .
  Long term goal .     I DARE NOT UTTER!!!
      Seriously i am prepared to constantly revise my plan if needed . And i think it is important for me to prepare my confidence to be ready for an almost certain run of bad luck. 
   Even though i believe the skill and instinct of this sport to be the dominant factors there is still the law of averages at play and just like in poker you got to get some cards to play. 
  I believe in myself and noone can take that from me or talk me down. and i think that is a strength of mine . Ive met defeated minds in this game who have accepted defeat before they begin.
   I know because of my financial situation that i will have to be a real standout to get noticed and that is what i intend to do.  I fish out of an old 1977 17 ft bass boat so i cant beat anyone to the hot spots. So i fish harder to compensate.  I am going to work with what god gives me and keep my livewell full!!!   
   This past season was my first season competeing as a boater so i am learning  at an exponential rate.
   Someone gave a great piece of wisdom  " fish along side the tournaments and see how you stand." That is exactly what i did for years and until i was in the money almost every tourney i waited.  I wasnt willing to sacrafice the money i needed to fish alot, to enter the tournaments .
    look forward to more good thoughts on this topic.    James.

dhuff

Hey James see you finally made it on the board.  For anyone who dosn't know James, he is probably one of the most mentally tough fisherman I have met.  He goes into each tournament even a fun fishing tournament with nothing but 1st place on his mind.  One of the better fisherman I have met.  Do not let his boat fool you.  He may not get there first but he is very very craft and super intense.  For a first year tournament fishing as a boater I would say you are well on your way man.  Awesome year last year.

djkimmel

Thanks for joining and thanks for posting James. You are off to a good and smart start.

And I agree with Savage - this is one of the toughest jobs and so many people don't realize how hard it is. You have to be great on the water - very flexible, very focused and do your best to make your own luck.

Off the water, you need to be able to speak to all levels of the public honestly and convincingly. You need to be able to promote products. Public speaking ability is very important. Writing skills - spelling and grammar are important too I think because you will need to write letters at a minimum to your sponsors, and you want to appear intelligent and professional because the competition is fierce.

Integrity is real important to all of this, I think.

Skulley

I agree with Dan.? All the skills that Dan described I also believe are very important to over come these roadblocks.? Most of all the integrity part.? Without integrity......there is nothing.? Companies are looking for spokesmen that will have people RADIATING toward them and their products.? Along with integrity, I think sincerity is the next most important thing.? People can tell if one is just talking because they are getting a paycheck versus talking out of enthusiasm for the product.?

BD         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

jamesjackson

First ,thank you Dale ,Dan ,and big dog 
   I know i have some ground to make up in the realm of spelling and grammer. LOL !   I am definately able to articulate myself with many more words than i can spell...    But thanks for some real honest and intelligent advice . Ill be absorbing as much of it as possible from here on out.  Integrity is a cornerstone of my faith my business and my life and i intend never to compromise it . 
   I have always maintained to myself that i would not endource anything I dont believe in.  " HELOCOPTOR LURE"...
   Ill try to get my 2cents in here and there on various topics but mostly ill be watching.. TY