Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:38:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Wixom Lake

Started by Big dreams, May 27, 2015, 12:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I took the day off yesterday to get some much needed R&R on the river.  The first 4 hours were terrible.  I had a few pike and a couple of hits on structure on shore.  I couldn't put a pattern together and the shore line hits were not enough to put a limit in the boat.  I ran around a lot and tried a few things.  I finally stopped on a flat and started tossing a lipless crank.  It was getting hung up on the weeds too much to the point I had no control.  I switched to a megabass 110 and landed my first bass with this $27 bait.  A few more casts and a few more fish.  I loaded up on bass for about two hours.  They were not huge fish but solid two pounders.  I probably caught ~15 fish in two hours on that jerk bait.  I switched to another flat and same thing, landed a few more.  Switched to yet another flat and caught one more before I had to leave.  It was a good time on Wixom.  The odd thing was the smallmouth were behaving more like largies and vice versa.  Water temps on the main lake are around 64 and in the cuts it is around 68.

YpsiBass

How was water clarity? See any beds?

Big dreams

All of the fish are post spawn.  The blue gills are just starting to bed now.  The bass are on the outskirts filling up with blue gill at this point.  Clarity was 2-3 feet but the wind made it hard to see with the ripples.

Big dreams

Let me rephrase that..  All of the fish I caught were post spawn.

djkimmel

Nice report and good job figuring out the post-spawn bite. I don't own any Megabass. I hope it wasn't just 'respect' how much you paid for the lure they bit out of! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Big dreams

It was costly but it is easy to see how realistic the lure is.  With most of the hits coming at the pause, bass have to look at the bait longer than a spinnerbait or a crank.  I am sure others would work as well, but how realistic the bait it surely can't be bad.  I could have used a shallow crank or a weedless fluke and might have been able to achieve the same results.  That was the first time I had a jerkbait bite going on so I didn't change anything.

djkimmel

It is amazing how many times a bass will look a jerkbait over for awhile before actually grabbing it. Sometimes for quite a while. Realistic jerkbaits may convert more bass into grabbers. I like tail feathers too though I usually make my own with Krystal Flash from fly shops. I think it sparkles like a minnow. There's something to be said about how many times bass might have hit if they had time to look the bait over and think about it so getting confidence on a lure like a jerkbait is important. They sometimes work better than flukes and other soft plastic lures because you can cover more water maybe?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Big dreams

That's a good question.  I have a tournament on Alcona Dam Pond next weekend.  I plan on using the jerk bait as well as a fluke.  No idea what the water temp is there or which phase the fish are in but I am hoping it doesn't take too long to find out.  Last year that river system was brutal in the summer.