Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:19:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Suggestions needed

Started by TimH, May 26, 2015, 12:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimH

I am not usually one to share my frustrations, discuss my feelings, or solicit advice from others.  I have always prided myself as being a fixer;  someone who is self sufficient and doesn't seek the help of others.  However, today is different.  As I write this post, I have a feeling about fishing like I have never had.  Fishing has always been my escape.  It has been my way to hit the reset button and refocus myself.  Unfortunately, fishing is now starting to feel like another frustration and just another thing on my "to do list."  I don't want it to be this way because I know my passion for the sport still runs deep, but I need to figure out a way to clear the recent roadblocks and get me back on track. 
My season started out on the wrong foot by having my boat in the shop for 5 weeks causing me to get the latest start I have had.  When the boat was finally ready to go, I had well over $1,000 of service and repairs into the boat and it hadn't even touched water since last year.  My first trip out was on Lake St. Clair on May 8th.  My buddy and I fished old areas and new areas, throwing confidence lures as well as new ones.  I caught three fish all day.  Our next trip was also on Lake St. Clair on May 17th, and at the end of the day I had caught a grand total of zero.   As frustrated as I was, I put it behind me and focused on the Kent Lake Open which was going to be our next time out/first tournament of the year.   We have fished this tournament for five years now and get destroyed every time we fish it.  I don't know why this event is so bad because we have done alright here in other tournaments at various times over the past few years.  Nevertheless, we once again entered and fished this event with a good mindset feeling confident in the outcome.  Once again, we were wrong.  While the original issue with the boat is fixed, the last two times out I have noticed a small "oil slick" forms around the outboard as soon as I get done running to my next spot.  I can't tell exactly where it is coming from, although it is really starting to look like it's from the exhaust.  Any suggestions on what might be the problem and what can be done to fix it is greatly appreciate it.
Beyond the continued boat issues, the tournaments was abysmal.  After four hours of fishing, we had not caught a thing, nor had we had even a strike.  Even though we were starting to break down mentally, we decided to move to a new spot and see what happened.  No sooner did we arrive at the spot, my buddy goes to grab his rod off the front deck and somehow manages to flip one of my rods off the boat and into the water.  After a valiant effort, the rod still sunk too quick causing the rod to disappear into the depths of Kent Lake.  At this point both of us were done.  We decided that for the sake of our sanity and overall mental stability, it was probably best that we put the boat on the trailer and went home.
So to summarize, here is how my very short fishing season has gone thus far.
Number of times out fishing: Three
Number of fish caught: Three - total
Money spent: Boat service/repair: $1,000.  Entry fees: $100.  Tackle/gear/line/launch passes:$350
Lost gear: spinning rod/reel $200, several lures $40

Here are my questions: 
Does anyone have any good suggestions/ideas on a way to refocus on fishing?
How should I fish Kent Lake?  I'm obviously doing something wrong.
Any ideas why I have a oil slick form around my outboard after I shut it down?

Sorry if I sound like a whiner or complainer here, but I am just looking for some suggestions and ways to turn things around.

AsianSensation

I am the buddy of Tim who knocked the rod and reel into the lake. I also need assistance to figure out this sport of fishing. My confidence is in tactics like crankbaits, tubes, buzzbaits, top-water, and shallow finesse fishing. I really struggle fishing in depths over 10 feet. I know I need to learn quickly how to fish those spots, as most fish are found in water deeper than 10 feet, but I struggle with this. I know that bass love the weeds and and to look for discrepancies on the bottom. I also struggle reading the electronics. I need to learn how to do this as well.

For me, I just need some guidance. I have an understanding of fishing and a basic knowledge of bass fishing. But I have some serious deficits that need attention. If anyone has suggestions such as tactics to try or how to practice more effectively, please let me know.

I feel like spending more time on the water would help, but I also need to focus my attention on things I suck at. However, I am not sure if I am doing it correctly. I want to get better at fishing away from the banks and more on the ledges and dropoffs. 

Team houston

Were you bed fishing at Kent? Its a good bet most of the top teams were catching fish off beds. Time on the water is very important. Even when you don't think you are learning something you are.

fishstick

Try fishing a couple lakes you've never been to before and just fish what is in front of you. No preconceived notions of what to do, areas to try, info from anyone, or expectations of what you might catch. Starting with a clean slate and figuring out a new fishery can be a huge confidence boost and I think it always helps on the water decision making. Lastly do your best to not over think this game, hope the rest of your season goes better!

BIGSHOW

I would like to fish Kent lake . Maybe I could find a tournament and partner for any tournament there to try it out. As for me I love plastics, hitting docks,trees,weeds,brush or anything that would hold fish. As for the most part it has worked well.  My thought is while I'm  going from dock to dock or whatever i might see i try to watch my depth finder and maybe something might come up. Or a good map or mapping card.

Got Fish??

(Suggestions  / Idea's   on how to focus  on, and enjoy  fishing)
I think  your trying  to hard . Maybe it's gotten to the point  that  your fishing for all the wrong  reasons . Fishing is fun and a passion  for me as well , and I aim on keeping it that way.  That's why I stopped fishing  tournaments. The  fees,  the hype,  the pressure.  Leaving  the lake  frustrated  and mad. Now when I fish  I enjoy  the  time out with friends  and family ,I'm  relaxed  and I don't  give a  $#@   what everyone else  is doing . With the money I save  from entering  fees. I can go to a pub after we get off the lake  and have a beer and a steak . I fish a few  tournaments a year with friends . But the pressure  is off. Or maybe your just holding  your mouth  wrong ?

21XDC

I have fished this Kent T for many years. I have taken 2nd place missing 1st by a few oz, I have taken 3rd, 7th, 12th etc... Bill and I only had 12.? this year with our 5 fish. We were culling at 9:30. We fish top water some, and wacky rigged sinkos w/o any weight. I caught over 3 limits of keepers myself. I'm not bragging, I'm trying to help. Bass are shallow water predators generally, especially this time of year and water temps. Put yourself in 2-6 ft of water with sparse weeds and you will catch them.

As far as cost of fishing.... That's just how it goes. I spent $6500.00 this spring on a motor rebuild, Not counting any fishing stuff I replaced.... So... Your still ahead of me.  :P
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

Try to find some time to fish with different people too when you can. I like draw and co-angler tournaments back in the day because I got learn different things (what to do and what NOT to do) from different people.

I'm a serial overthinker too but we also have to be who we are to some degree because it's hard to be someone else.

Play to your strengths but don't forget the season and what bass should be doing at various times of the year. You have to be where the most catchable bass are to catch a good number of them.

If you're not catching them doing something then the obvious answer is you need to do something else and/or move. It seems so obvious but many of us fall into the repetitive blahs at times.

Figure out a way to keep your attention and your drive going, whatever it takes, even if is doesn't seem right for other people, as long as it is right for you (and your fishing partner).

I like the new lake suggestion as long as you don't expect to hit a home run immediately. The key is no preconceived notions that you can't adjust as the water/fish tell you that you need to do something different. I had lots of preconceived notions that past week, week and a half, that I had to adjust as the clues the lakes were giving me made it clear my notions were the wrong ones and I had to adjust to catch some fish.

If you aren't in a tournament, catch something else if you aren't catching what you're after. Okay, sometimes I even did this IN a tournament. It's fun to catch something so sometimes an injection of fun can respark your attention, focus and drive.

Do what you just did - ask for help. In a way that says I don't expect the world for nothing just like you did. I get lots of requests for the answers without anything in return. It's hard to want to help someone who gives nothing in return (EVERYONE has something to give in return). You have proven you deserve help. We will go fishing this year. I already to the Rep. that we were going to take her fishing :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Slipkey

I can't give you much advice on Kent, I understand your frustration on the other issues.  I find that when I reach a point of "burn-out", it usually has to do with taking my fishing - tournaments or otherwise - too seriously.  I'm a competitive guy, but tournament fishing has never scratched that itch for me. When it does, though, my fishing usually suffers.  For some, it's just the opposite. 

There are also times, when the financial side of fishing and owning boats pile up one on top of the other.  It goes with the territory.  Over time, I've developed strategies to deal with both:

Burn out/Focus:

- When I reach a point of burn-out, I try to simplify and go back to the basics.  I also try to do more experimentation with baits and techniques as that keeps things fresh and interesting.  If you get too focused on what you "should" be doing, you end up losing sight of what you "could" be doing.

- Back off from tournaments for a time.  What I enjoy most about tournament fishing is the massive amount of learning and experience that I pack in to pre-fishing and the tournament itself. That hyper-focus can be really rewarding when it pays off.  It can also be exhausting when it doesn't.  I start making shorter trips, explore new lakes, or just go out for fun for a few hours at a stretch on a lake or stretch of river I know well.

- Fish smaller tournaments. Big tournaments can be fun, but small, "pay at the ramp" tournaments are more relaxed.  Evening team tournaments also fit that bill and can be a blast.

Finances:

- Aside from things that require a computer, I've learned to do all of my own outboard maintenance, fiberglass repair, and trailer maintenance. Not only does this save money, but it gives me confidence that, if something goes wrong, I can handle it.  Makes me worry less about things, but also makes me a smarter boater, as I know the consequences for not keeping up with maintenance or taking needless risks.  Even so, I also know that my annual minimum parts cost for boat/trailer upkeep averages somewhere around $750-1000 (on a good year - this year the trailer needs new tires and my trolling motor is now on its 11th season).   Factoring in those costs and planning ahead for the bigger items helps a lot.

- I'm meticulous about maintaining my reels and some of my favorite Chronarchs and Curados are now over 20 years old. That said, if I lose a setup overboard, which happens, I can afford to be more relaxed about it.  I also repair my own rods so, if I break a tip off or need to replace a guide, I can. 

As far as your oil slick, I don't know what kind of outboard you have so I can't say for certain, but that can be "normal".  It may mean your oil injection mix is high and is not being burned off completely, or there may be a leak somewhere in the outboard oil reservoir lines (check the bottom of your outboard cowling for oil).  My carbureted 1983 Merc on my duck boat has always had a bit of a slick around it when I shut down, but I tend to mix a bit higher than 50/1  - I'd rather deal with fouled plugs than piston rings.

Hope that helps.  Most of all, just hitch up and go fishing - as much as you possibly can!

YpsiBass

Took my boat in for what I thought was just a starter, but it also needed a new helm and lower unit (again). Total cost of repairs was 3x what you had and still, I'm optimistic about fishing this year.  I had a poor outing on Whitmore Lake, but I've done well on LSC this year.  Not the 300 fish days that people seem to be talking about, but good for me personally.  I'd suggest staying away from tournaments for a bit. Fish for fun, like the guys above said, on lakes you haven't been to. Focus on a technique you haven't tried before or don't excel at already.

As for your Asian friend, he sounds like a perfect candidate to join a bass club.  Mine has one opening and it's great for beginner fishermen.  Lots of knowledgeable guys and newbies alike plus the good thing about this club is that you don't need a boat to get into it.  Check it out here.

AMSDJS

I agree with GotFish regarding changing your focus from the competitive side of bass fishing to one of solely for fun. I say go even one step further. Go fishing for different species. White bass are everywhere right now so take just one light spinning rod and a handful of grubs and enjoy catching a bunch of these guys. Then go sit on a bank with a few beers and a catfish pole and soak some worms. Bring an ultralight and some ice jigs and fish for gills in the canals. There is so much great fishing other than bass fishing here in MI so don't think your way out of it. Even Miggy has slumps but those guys have no choice but to ride it out.

More importantly to the boat and finance issues. I don't know how old you are or if you have a family but get your priorities in order. That means take care of any and all issues, whether it's your boat, car, lawn, etc. first. No one can enjoy a day on the water with all these things looming in the back of their mind. I know we all use fishing as an escape, a way to release all the stress and worries of life, even for a day. Sure, it sucks getting skunked but if you take care of the more important things in life first, then catching or not catching a few fish will seem like icing on the cake. But if you put all your happiness and enjoyment into something that is really just not that important in the grand scheme of things, then you'll see that the saying "don't sweat the small stuff" applies here. And hopefully you understand that catching fish or not catching fish is the small stuff.

And don't compare your bass fishing success to anyone on TV or the pros or guys who do nothing else but fish. Even these folks have days where they struggle. That's what makes the good days even better.

32eml24

Forget your "spots" and every day ask yourself what the fish are doing. If you can figure that out youll develop patterns which are usually more valuable than spots.

Skulley

I'm a little more concerned about your oil slick.  I get one with mine every time I go out and I've looked and looked but I don't see anything when I'm going over it.  If you don't see anything on a visual inspection, then take it to the mechanic that repaired him and ask him about it.  Chances are its from the exhaust.  That's what I think mine is.  Everything is running good and if it ain't broke, don't fix it but preventative measures are always a good thing. 

Now on the getting your mind right while on the water, that's always a tough thing to overcome.  I'm having the same problem myself right now.  I've been to LSC 3 times and haven't exactly set the world on fire so to speak.  I've hit some inland lakes and done better as I went by myself.  Yesterday I went to LSC by myself and did a little bit better but still wasn't on them as I usually am this time of year.  I don't know if I'm preoccupied by other things going on in my life or what.  Pretty frustrating if you ask me especially since I have always done good no matter where I go.  I guess I can attribute this to being a baseball player and being in a hitting slump.  Maybe my timing is off.  Maybe I'm not seeing the ball as well.  There are so many things that can get into your head that will mess up your frame of mind.  I haven't fished a lot of tournaments over the past few years for the same reasons as Got Fish?? for the same reasons.  Of course he lives just down the street from me and he and I talk about that stuff often. I was going to go this morning but opted not too as I wanted to maybe take care of some things that have been weighing on my mind. Now that I've taken care of some of those things, I feel better.  I have been on vacation from this week and usually I fish more that the 2 times I've been out.  Weather permitting, I hope to get out at least once before Monday.  It's hard to fish successfully without a clear mind.  Good luck and keep in touch.  Maybe we can work through this "slump" together.

BD                 ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Got Fish??

It's my understanding  that two cycle  oil dose  not get burned, it  lubricants the engine. Then discharged  through  the exhaust .  If you outboard  is several  years old!  Ware on all your  components   cause  this to happen 

dartag

Looks like you got a lot of good advice above.  Kent is a tough lake all year long.  The guys that do good have spent countless hours out there.   Probably 10 % of the guys win 90 % of the money in tournaments.  If tournaments frustrate you save the entry fee.  Go out and fun fish for the day then have a nice lunch on the way home.   It is about having fun.  The times you were on St Clair you probably should have been bed fishing.  I was out there during that period and had unbelievable days.  We saw almost every fish we caught.   Now they have moved out it is tougher.  More time on the water is needed to get good.  If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

djkimmel

Well... we try to make it easier so more people will do it! :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SethV

Oil slick - check your lower unit for water in the oil.  I have seen a couple cases where a slow leak in the lower unit seals causes an oil slick after a run.  Hopefully its just normal exhaust, but if it has a slick now and didn't last year - check it out. 

The month of May in Michigan - ya gotta be looking at them.  Spend your prefish time driving and looking with your eyes.  June is a transition month, but by the end of June spend your prefish time driving and looking - with your electronics.

TimH

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.  I think I just have to understand that this year is going to be vastly different than fishing in years past as there are many factors taking away my time and focus.  I am currently working a minimum of 55 hours per week, with most weeks being in excess of 60-65.  This past January I was appointed to City Council in the city I live and now have additional commitments and time constraints that I did not have before.  On top of that, I am dealing with bad shoulder injury (torn rotator cuff I think, Doctor appointment is coming up) that is making fishing very painful at times.
My love for bass fishing is still as strong as ever, but I have come to reality that this year is just going to be different.  Since I have realized this, my outlook is so much better already once again proving just how much of mental game fishing is.  I did take the advice of going to a new lake and just fish.  My buddy and I took last Friday off work and fished Woodland in Brighton for the first time.  While we didn't "light it up"  it was our best day on the water this year.  I'm going to approach the rest of this season with the "it is what it is" attitude and just enjoy whatever time I get on the water.  The next time I will be getting out is when I take a veteran fishing for the Tips Up for Troops.  This event always helps my focus on what truly matters in life and without a doubt will help continue to get my season back on track...as long as surgery isn't needed on the shoulder.  Nevertheless, thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I greatly appreciate it.

dartag

Want to have a fun day on the water.  Go to White Lake north  of m-59 in highland.  Fihs a while.  Tie up at the white lake inn on the north east side and have lunch.  Go back out and fish more.  Great relaxing way to spend the day.  Lake has some great LM & SM.    18.8 wo. Tne tuesday night 3 hour tourny this week.  Watch the sunken island in the middle.  They are prop eaters.