Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Make sure you dont kill your Bass fellow Michigan Anglers.

Started by GAMEOVER, July 10, 2007, 08:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAMEOVER

After fishing for 14 years I have only killed 3 Bass in my entire life. Two have came this season for me on the same BiteMe tube jig. After talking about it on another forum and being pretty mad about it someone showed me this. http://www.dbarb.com/

Im buying one and hope some you do as well or have something that can do the same thing. My two bass even died with proper hook removal (through the gill). I wont go into details but if you guys really want to read my story you can here. http://www.tackletour.net/T3Forum/viewtopic.php?t=19831

Im new to this forum but was very happy to finally find it after taking my passion online and not knowing Michigan had such a strong Bass backbone online. I'll try to post more and for the record im unaffiliated with the board (aside from being a member) I posted the link to or the company that sells those things.

thedude

looks like a good tool.
I had a dead fish recently that i hooked under a dock, netted it and it was flopping like crazy.. threw the hook and rehooked itself on the outside of the head just above the eye.

took the hook out with ease and she was dead before she hit the live well :(
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Revtro

I've used the dbarb for the past 3 years.  It works wonderfully.  Nip off the hook as far down as you can and only leave the barb in.  Do it quickly though because pulling on the hook and keeping the fish out of the water will still kill the bass.  The dbarb probably works better than the thru the gill trick because it doesn't rip the barb out of the fish's gut. 

BTW- It may not be the Bite Me jig's fault your having problems.  From the sound of it on the other forum you're using a different rod and/or line??  I may have misread the post.  Maybe the different rod or less sensitive line is really the culprit here.  Just something to think about.  Bite Me's use the same hooks as other jigs, etc... can't see why a different brand would make you get more gut hooked fish.  Unless this is the first 60 degree eye jig hook you've used.  That could also be the big difference.  Just a few thoughts.  Hope they help you with this problem. 

But don't beat yourself up too bad.  Fish die in our game.  We should do our best, but at the end of the day our best is all we can do.  The rest is up to chance and nature.  Besides, every dead bass becomes an important part of the food chain, so even though we should keep our bass alive if possible, it's not necessarily all that bad for the food chain when a bass dies.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

BASS FISHERMAN

when i startud usin thems BMF HOOKS i starts killin fish!!the BMF HOOKS are big and when you drives them hoome  they go deep an soome times they draws blood  :o :o :o grate hooks fur flippin an such ;) ;) ;)

:-* :-* :-* RANGERS BOAT RULE  :-* :-* :-*
i juss moves neer Belding on M-44 in Michigan USA
an verrie proud of it

JCOOPER

He's Alive!  Dan you can call off the Coast Guard search!
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.