Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

did something dumb..... PLEASE advise

Started by justinhahn88, April 14, 2015, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhahn88

So before I went out today I checked my oil as I always do. (optimax 150) Apparently I did not tighten the cap enough because I noticed oil on the back and the cap was open. I'm concerned about water getting into the oil (which I'm guessing isn't good) Thankful I didn't do much running around today and I pray to God I didn't do any damage.  What should I do????

Thanks!!!

justinhahn88

I opened the resivoir for the oil and it doesn't appear I lost any. the oil looks normal, (no bubbles not milky)

Waterfoul

It's pretty hard to get oil into the reservoir tank on a bass boat.  You'd pretty much have to sink the transom.  Tighten the cap and go boating.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Besides, I little water in the 2 stroke oil will just burn thru the motor anyway.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

justinhahn88

Quote from: Waterfoul on April 14, 2015, 09:10:16 PM
It's pretty hard to get oil into the reservoir tank on a bass boat.  You'd pretty much have to sink the transom.  Tighten the cap and go boating.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Besides, I little water in the 2 stroke oil will just burn thru the motor anyway.

Best. News. Ever!!!! Thank you!!!! That's kinda what I was thinking too but I was all paranoid.  Lol

TimH

Don't feel bad...I did the same thing shortly after I had first bought my bass boat. :-[  I had the exact same concerns once I noticed what I had done, but everything turned out to be OK other than me feeling like an idiot for leaving the cap off.  Water will float on top of the oil, so as long as you don't see any water you should be good to go.

dartag

I could write a book on the dumb things I have done with boats.  Chalk it up to experience.  Hope you didn't lose to much oil, that stuff is expensive.

Waterfoul

Quote from: dartag on April 15, 2015, 07:49:40 AM
I could write a book on the dumb things I have done with boats.  Chalk it up to experience.  Hope you didn't lose to much oil, that stuff is expensive.

Not to mention MESSY!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

YpsiBass

I'm writing a new chapter in that same book...

Manxfishing

Quote from: YpsiBass on April 17, 2015, 12:04:01 PM

I'm writing a new chapter in that same book...

Rick, Skip the book and just make the movie
So, Will it be a drama, comedy or action

Waterfoul

Quote from: Manxfishing on April 17, 2015, 08:18:48 PM

Rick, Skip the book and just make the movie
So, Will it be a drama, comedy or action

As long as it's not a romantic comedy.  NO CHICK FLICKS!!!

thedude

keep some sea-foam in the gas for a while if you are truly worried about it.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Slipkey

I could write a book on the dumb things I have done with boats.

Maybe we should start a pinned thread, for others to learn by.  Like that one time, I pumped 30 gallons of diesel fuel in before a club tournament...  The club members nicknamed me "Diesel" and I had to live with that for the rest of the time I lived in Chicago.

@justinhahn88, if you're still worried about it, you can pump out the reservoir in to a separate container and leave it sit for a few days.  Any water that entered the reservoir will separate to the top and you can either suck it off the top with a turkey baster or, with the right kind of container, pour it off.  Also, if you're married, I suggest getting rid of the evidence and playing dumb when your wife asks where the turkey baster went.  I speak from experience here, as turkey basters are also handy for topping off battery water.... ;).

djkimmel

That's a good tip. I need to do up the resource section so it gives me some ideas for after the website redesign is finally done. I'm making progress on another website believe it or not. The bass season work got in the way bigtime but that should lessen a fair amount now though I'm not 'done' with it like I hoped.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.