Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

water level

Started by stackenem, April 13, 2015, 03:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stackenem

Any one check the water level at Kent lake yet?
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Bassassin

Very Low.  As of last Thursday ,launches have basically no water on them.  Looks like it won't be right for a few weeks.  Too bad because they are probably chewing out there right now.

Got Fish??

I've  was told the water level  is  controlled  by the dam, and  it  has not been  opened  to fill the lake yet. That's a choice  made   by the metro park and the DNR.

dartag

You should be able to get in at the east launch

fiker

I called the office last week.  She said thy project it to be up to pool on may 1.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

mterry

Coming in off grand river/96 new to this lake I pretty much just catch and release bass.
Is there any real good spots on kent ? It looks like a lot of cover/islands. I like to fish senko or cranks.
Any advice would be great

dartag

Follow the shore and pitch a jig.   Look for stumps.  Go slow if you have never been there.  That place can eat a lower unit.

mterry

Thanks for the warning dartag

fiker

A guy in my club lost a lower unit near the east launch.  There is a hump not too far away towards the i 96 bridge.   
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Got Fish??

There is a lot humps,logs and snags in Kent lake. Because  it is a  flud plane of the Huron  River . Stick to  the speed limit, or just pickup your outboard  and use your trolling motor. There are a lot of weeds in the lake, because  of the phosphorus  levels in the water. Vertical  and finesse  approach  works best on the lake. Weedy flats  off the channels  are your best bet. The fish are there  you just have to find them 

Skulley

Drove by Kent last night on my way to Lansing for Alec's soccer game.  The lake has not been brought up yet.  It's still looks to be about 2 to 3 feet down from normal pool.  Traditionally they haven't brought the lake up until the last full week of April.  I look for it to be brought up to pool by next week sometime plus there is a lot of rain in the forecast for next week.

BD                         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Jefferson

In thinking about hitting Kent this weekend, does the raising of the level from the dam affect the fishing there in a positive or negative way? Do they stop feeding/feed more or just move around more?

Skulley

Yes it does.......at least I kind of think so. They tend to move up shallow into the visible and invisible cover. Invisible is what's under water shallow that a lot of times you can see when the lake is drawn down. I don't fish it that much but that has been my experience through the years. There are other guys out here on the site that fish it way more than I that could probably give you a better answer.

BD.             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

YpsiBass

Quote from: fiker on April 16, 2015, 08:38:27 PM
A guy in my club lost a lower unit near the east launch.  There is a hump not too far away towards the i 96 bridge.   

<< this guy

YpsiBass

Quote from: dartag on April 15, 2015, 11:43:34 AM
Go slow if you have never been there.  That place can eat a lower unit.

Verified!

djkimmel

Google Maps Satellite or Google Earth is good for looking for the lower unit-eating humps, stumps and big rocks before you go out and find them the 'hard way.' My normal advice anymore. I usually remember to follow it myself. Most of the time. Props and lower units are expensive and the one hump seems to move a 100 feet left or right sometimes...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

With the water level  up, it will make it easier  to get your boat into areas where stumps  and  other cover  hold fish. Don't  pass up 6  to  8 foot flats  near  the channels  they hold a lot of largemouth. Smallmouth hold off the deep edges  of Sandy points. Good luck  Jefferson .

ASloSHO

Water is still low, east launch is do able. Picked up a few largies yesterday