Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

And it begins

Started by TheFishinPollock, April 12, 2015, 07:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFishinPollock

Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Big dreams

Whatcha got going on there?

djkimmel

Getting a working outboard? I think.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

Well this year the gray part of the hull is being regeled. There is some areas by the chines that are showing the resiened fiberglass mat and some potmarking,  putting a 5 inch CMC -PL65 hyd jack plate on it , a radio where the old lowrange indash flasher was with small hot tub speakers in the front deck champion cover plate ( so I don't have to cut 6 inch holes) and the little courtesy light on the side of the consol that never worked, and a new livewell drain cable .

I'll keep going with the pictures at the glass shop. My buddie owns the shop so I shouldn't have a problem getting in to take pictures of the process.  It goes to the shop tomorrow.

Unfourtinatly I can't afford to have the topcap re geled this year . So that is next year with a new rubrail, new pinstriping, carpet and compartment gaskets.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

TheFishinPollock

Ok we reached phaze 2 thismorning!!!

1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Manxfishing

Nice,
There's a reason Champion went out of Buss
40 year old boat, repowered and now regeled and still fishing strong
She's a looker

TheFishinPollock

Actually shes only 29 this summer, Max.  She will be. We found more damage than what I had originaly thought. She has been forcing water between the gel and glass for a few years . The area that sat on the bunks is blistered almost to the nose of the boat. But it will get fixed.

They went out of business because PE holdings bought up Champ and Strat( gennmar went bankrupt and held those 2 boat brands) and killed the full on champ line in 2010. They insulted us by slapping a Stratos name on the side of a ChampioN hull for 3 years after that then killed it all together and destroyed 90% of the molds. Their offshore, all species boats were blowing ranger sales outa the water. 
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Manxfishing

Pollock,

I'm a champion fan
But here's some history for you

One on the reasons for Champion to file for bankruptcy were Genmar bought them was
that they bought Back country powerboats to get in the bay boat market in 98
They over extended themselves.
Wylie Nagler who sold Back Country Powerboats then started Yellowfin Yachts

So there's a reason the Champion bay (offshore) boats rode so well.

TheFishinPollock

phaze 3 -  the sand and fill

1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

32eml24

Thanks for sharing the pictures. So you are sanding the gel coat off but not down to the glass and then getting new gel coat?

TheFishinPollock

Yea . He is spraying 15 mil worth of colored gel and a topcoat of clear with durateck in it.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

TheFishinPollock

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Look at that shineola on the gray. You can see the refelction of my tire track off the dirt ground in it ! ;D ;D ;D

1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Slipkey

Great job, sir!  She's looking great!  :D

TheFishinPollock

Ok all mounted up .

Only 1 issue. I should have went down 1 more bolt hole on the motor to plate .  With it raised all the way up I am roughly  3 inches below pad. Opps.   Ill run it this way with all 3 vent plugs out and see how it goes. If it blows out at the highest level on the plate .I will leave it be. If it dosen't. Ill move the motor down a bolt to get more "up"

1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

21XDC

Generally, You want the jackplate centered at 3 inch's below the pad using the motor mounting bolts for most boats. Champions run best deeper than some others. I think you will end up going down some to get the bow lift you need. Keep safe water pressure.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

TheFishinPollock

Yea. Pat  told me to start at 3 1/2 which is what I planed. I'm jsut wondering if I will be able to go higher up than 3 inches and not lose any lift.  Biggest concern is will the 21 lazer 2 be enuff prop or will I need to move up.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

21XDC

For the water you fish, You might try a trophy plus or the Turbo1 in the correct pitch.

http://www.turbo-props.com/products/turbo-1-series_t1s
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

TheFishinPollock

Well today was test run #1.  Boy did it end up sucking.    I idled it to my dock, pops jumps in,  putter back out, made sure she was warmed up and hit it.  Was literley exploding outa the water onto plane, but at the exact moment it would fall over and go on plane. The motor stalled.  Then it wouldn't start.  Checked the back and the pump-up bulb was flat as could be.  Made sure all the lines were correct and the ball would just stay flat and not rexpand.    Picking up a new bulb tomorrow.   When I got it home I pulled off the hose leading to the motor and the bulb did not rexpand. So it has to be from the bulb to the tank that is causing the issue. 

Mannnnnnn did she feel good comming outa the hole with that new jackplate , but never made it  :( :( :(
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

Any luck sorting it out yet?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

Stopped on the way home from work and got a new bulb today Dan. Course now it is raining steady so no testing today. Then again, the boat could use a washdown. It's way way dirty from stuff I did and the finish work they did LOL
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc