Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:10:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

bow mount fish finder

Started by BIGSHOW, March 21, 2015, 12:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

Kinda in a debacle on what to get up front. And thought I could get some input. First of all I have a minn kota terrova i-pilot with us2 sonar. I have all lowrance products now but was kinda interested in the hummingbird up front because I think it works with the trolling motor. Then I was looking at the hummingbird 360 but it says its not compatible with that motor. What i really want is down imaging and a unit about the size of an hds-8. I'm sure I would have to run a new transducer with cord which will look like crap. Any suggestions or setups that you really like? I would like to have it setup in about a month. THX

MSURoss

I really wouldn't worry about running a new transducer wire. All the pros do... few questions are you looking to link both units? Do you want down imaging and side imaging? What is your budget? 

BIGSHOW

Budget is no problem. I can usually find deals if I knew just what to get. I want to be around 8" screen. The hummingbird 360 wont mount on a terrova trolling motor and I really don't want the transom mounted one. I want downscan for sure and would like 360 if possible. As for the wires. its no problem running them,I just wanted it as uncluttered as possible. No real need to link them if I use a trolling motor mounted transducer.

MSURoss

I use Lowrance Spotlight scan/down scan. Spotlight scan isn't as good as 360 but will fit on any trolling motor. I would look at the elite 7 or 9 chrip if you don't want a touch unit.

BIGSHOW

I was told the spotlight scan will not work with the terrova trolling motor because it is has electric steering. Only on cable-drivin motors. Do you have the chirp? I'm starting to hear more about them. That could be an option with the downscan ducer..I keep hiting road blocks..

fishstick

Look into a bird 859 HD DI unit, it will work with your US2 transducer. Do you have I pilot or I pilot link? You need to the I pilot link to network the 859 and the Terrova together.

thedude

i've had  a few US2 motors. HBs and Lowrances - i've gone to use a stock transducer with every one of them. US2 is a waste of time and money. It will however work with both lowrance and humminbird units for 2d only.

If you have lowrance now get something you can network with your current setup.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

BIGSHOW

I have the terrova-i-pilot us2. I'm not 100% sure i have the link but the guy I bought the boat from said it links up with hummingbirds for the contour follow etc. As for linking the two units. I'm not sure there is a reason to, is there? since the trolling motor would have to be in for any  downscan. I currently have a lowrance 332 something up there now working with the us2 2d. So I know I would have to mount an external 83/200/455/800 to the motor. I just went and looked at the lowrance chirp elite 9 and it doesn't look to bad

fishstick

You could always run a Y cable off the unit and put the DI transducer on the transom while using the US2 for 2D sonar. It would eliminate the need for any cords around the trolling motor, but DI would be coming from the back of the boat vs the TM. The biggest advantage to having linked up units is sharing waypoints, transducers, and GPS receivers on the network. That way should you ever encounter problems on the water there is always a back up.

Coop

Hey BIGSHOW. I think i got an answer your looking for. I as well have a Terrova with I-Pilot Link and have had a full season already messing with transducers attached below the trolling blade. I purchased the Humminbird 899 unit because it was a perfect size for the front, yet offered both sidecan / downscan / & sonar. Plus as you mentioned you can link your unit up to your I-pilot link if you have the link for your terrova. That way when using a lakemaster chip, you can follow the contours on the map. This is by far the most awesome attribute especially when you can offset the distance from a certain depth. That way you can follow the contour while also staying a good casting distance off from your ledge that your fishing. It works great!!  Anyways I also have a 899 unit that I Ram mounted on my console. The key is to get the humminbird ethernet linking unit installed that way you can switch which transducer you want to read on each of the units. Say you were driving and wanted to use the transducer on the transom, you can utilize your side imaging while finding spots to fish. Then when finding the spots, when you jump onto the deck and drop your terrova, you can utilize the 899 mounted on your bow to just concentrate on the bow/trolling motor mounted transducer.

One of the really important things you need to understand is that with the Terrova, when adding a transducer below your trolling motor that utilizes the sidescan and downscan option, you ""WILL"" have problems with your transducer cord wrapping up when utilizing your I-Pilot. The conclusion that I came to was this:  You simply do not utilize much sidescan nor downscan while fishing up front on the bow. Personally I mainly (90% of the time) used sonar for dropshotting and mapping for positioning. What I found is you really need to be moving at a good speed to utilize the sidescan or downscan effectively. Universal Sonar is much different and is what most use for dropshotting etc.. So in the end at the end of the 2014 season, I decided to disconnect the transducer from the trolling motor and bought the adapter that allows you to connect your 899 unit directly to the universal sonar unit already installed directly in your Terrova motor. That way you have no cords to worry about tangling when running our I-pilot, yet you still have mapping and sonar directly running out of the universal transducer thats inside of your lower unit of the Terrova. 

So in my opinion just go with an 899 unit and hook it directly to the Terrova Transducer. Dont mess with using an additional mounted transducer to the lower unit of the trolling motor. It will wrap up on the terrova when turning and be a pain in the ass.  I worked with the guys at BPS in auburn hills with this and came to the conclusion in collaboration with them.

Sorry for the long dissertation, but i wanted to explain since its a nifty investment. So getting it right the first time is worth it. In the end I really believe you will like the 899 unit as well. Hope this helped..
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

BIGSHOW

Thanks alot for your comment. As for the link, from what I read online I just have the i-pilot US2  but the remote is different than the link remote. I did check out the 899. The conclusion I came to with on that is I don't need side scan up front because you need a little faster speed. Then I checked out the 859ci hd Di. Which I would still need an extra transducer. I appreciate the input about the cord. That was one big issue I thought of. And wanted to hear from somone that had one.  But Through my checking and research I keep coming back to the lowrance Elite 7 chirp with lake insight mapping. Besides the general chartplotter I like the 83/200 455/800 transducer that is all in one and will split to show regular 2d sonar and vivid Di sonar. Anyones input will be appreciated. Still not totally sure yet. I like to do my research and still have a couple weeks to order and install it. Thx

Waterfoul

I don't believe the US2 transducer will utilize the DI option on anyone's unit and you are basically forced to add a transducer if you want any kind of imaging.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

BIGSHOW

From what I have found the US2 will only give you the basic 2D sonar.

Coop

yup only 2d on US2. You have to use an extra transducer to do DI or SI. Like I said I dont utilize either on the bow so im good with just US2. All my DI or SI is when im looking for spots to fish only
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

BIGSHOW

I wouldn't mind putting the ducer on the back. I just hate having it hang off the back. My main one is a thru hull. It would be on a ranger and i would have to see how others have mounted there's.  The only problem I see putting it on the troll motor is possible twisting up. When I use spot lock . But it would be nice to be scanning directly under me. But whats a few feet?