Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:50:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

A Michigan Tournament Angler should be thought of as an impecable sportsman

Started by Mojo, March 22, 2015, 03:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the top 'SINS' a tournament angler does that makes all Tournament Bass Fishermen look bad (Vote for 5)

Fail to fizz their fish at release (non Tx citizens gasp at all the 'flailing floaters left to die)
Throw expired fish back in (instead of keeping in coolers, or give them to locals to eat)
Dock / Lakefront boat snagging (Ringing the dinner bell on pontoons)
Verbal confrontations with lake front owners
Ripping fish lips apart on accident
Gullet pulling out a hook cause your in a rush
Casting at or under inflatable rafts / trampolines)
Verbal confrontations with each other in public
Racing 60 mph across small lakes at first light (no speed limit)
Being rude to non tx boaters when putting /pulling your boat
Crowding (inside 100 ft) non-tx anglers
Catching fish on 'their' lake
Excessive celebrating
Coming off plane too close to lake front homes, non tx angler boats (causing the "I'm here" wave)
Screaming past other boats (inside 100 ft) at full speed
Not courtious or 'good people' / but rather arrogant jerks overall

Mojo

I put this together to have our tournament community use data (and some common sense) to help us learn how to become an impeccable group of sportsmen.

Right now your Michigan reputation is AVERAGE. I would like to raise awareness, build some consensus, and maybe build some 'unspoken rules' not found in tournament rule books. It will help become a foundation that Pure Michigan Tournament Anglers are recognized.

Add some comments down below so I can change the words, add or delete some things you consider Michigan Tournament Angler SINS.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Manxfishing

This past year on Orion
There was a small alum boat that came in just before the start of the tournament with 2 younger guys and one old man
The old man was female doging about all the boats
And there was a bass boat tied up on the side of the dock, but it wasn't blocking him from pulling his boat.
The guy just wouldn't shut up, and the 2 younger guys were embarrassed

The kicker was there truck had bald tires and couldn't pull the small boat out
So 4 or 5 guys helped to push the truck so it could pull the boat out
And the old man never said another word, but he also never said thank you

Some people will never get it
I say be nice to all of them and let Karma deal with them

djkimmel

We don't need to 'win' over people like that guy. We just need to let all the others know we are normal, average every day anglers just like them. Because we have a lot more in common than different.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

thedude

i'm not sure this is a good idea, put this survey in the wrong hands and its an easy bullet list of why Tournament anglers suck.

That being said, i read the list - i've run a ton of tournaments over the last 8 years - over 100. West michigan bass hosted over 40 alone last year and 66 this year. Not to mention all the other tournaments i've been in the last decade - i've only seen these things a handful of times. The most prevalent would be the handling of fish (fizzing or a dead fish at the ramp). I've only been witness to 2 confrontations - both of which were not the fault of the angler.

Frankly, things like hitting/snagging docks or casting by trampolines is a moot point. Homeowners have no more right to put their toys or docks in the water than we do to launch our boats and fish there. I think it would do everyone some good to practice so we are not causing damage (or perceived damage) however, there needs to be an understanding by both parties which will never happen.

I've personally netted and fizzed fish at the ramps after my tournaments. I don't think people did it on purpose, just didn't know they had the bends. As a whole, i have to say that most tournament guys are better stewards of the sport than your average boat fisherman.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Skulley

Quote from: djkimmel on March 23, 2015, 12:47:24 PM
We don't need to 'win' over people like that guy. We just need to let all the others know we are normal, average every day anglers just like them. Because we have a lot more in common than different.

Here, here.  Durand Dan will be happy to define this term used to be counted and give you some additional history.  Speaking of impeccable sportsman.  I haven't seen any postings from him in a while.

BD                         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

TimH

One of my biggest complaints are the rude and arrogant anglers who walk around before and after a tournament like they own they lake.  They are rude to other anglers, pleasure boaters, and anyone who happens to be around them.  The bad part is often times they are wearing a jersey so there is no mistaking they are with the tournament.  Please understand that I am NOT associating guys who wear jerseys with guys who act this way.  I really wish that all tournament anglers would be respectful of one another and portray the sport in a positive image.  Most guys are good about it, but just about every tournament has "that guy" that everyone cringes when they see him pull up.

Thanks for posting this survey.  I hope everyone uses it as a way to make sure they aren't their trails "that guy."

djkimmel

Peer pressure against 'that guy' won't hurt us.

There will still be some people who won't like us without even knowing us at all too. I wave at them... and they turn their back. Nice... at least I can still enjoy some fishing anyway.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: thedude on March 23, 2015, 04:36:55 PM
I've personally netted and fizzed fish at the ramps after my tournaments. I don't think people did it on purpose, just didn't know they had the bends. As a whole, i have to say that most tournament guys are better stewards of the sport than your average boat fisherman.

Most tournament guys are as good or better a steward as the average angler. After all, we brought the sport catch-and-release mainly and people act like we have no sportsmanship, yet most biologists and researchers recognize catch and release as a major influence as to why our bass fishing is so good now.

How can we be so bad and so good at the same time? The truth is we can't. Don't forget we are regular, good people no matter what some people want to say, and please continue to behave on the water in a manner that shows it.

motocross269

From what I have seen and from reading posts on other websites I believe alot of guys don't like tournament anglers because of a form of class warfare.....They seem to complain more about what we have worked for and paid for than our actions...To be honest it reminds me alot of the anti union worker sentiment......  Stereotypes run rampant..
If you notice most of the negative comments will highlight the boats we own or something along those lines..

dartag

I agree with The Dude.  The points listed would make a great presentation against tournaments.  As such I will not be voting. 

AsianSensation

I put my vote in. Eating your bass is very strange in my opinion. However, my biggest complaint against bass fisherman is actually portrayed right here on this thread. All of the people who didn't vote on this "fun" poll for fear of the results being used against tournament anglers take themselves way too seriously. Simmer down people, I don't think this poll will get "in the wrong hands".

Mojo

i'm not sure this is a good idea, put this survey in the wrong hands and its an easy bullet list of why Tournament anglers suck.

Frankly, things like hitting/snagging docks or casting by trampolines is a moot point. Homeowners have no more right to put their toys or docks in the water than we do .....

I like this post, for a lot of reasons. Dude, I'm gonna build here, so what comes next is NOT to point at you, k? K.

No one likes to look in the mirror. No one. So this is to show all of 'us' that maybe the one or two habits we have are actually pretty crappy. It will make all of us better on the water.   
Mindsets, like yours on inflatables, COULD be a top noted issue here, and maybe you change part of your routine, if only a little. Maybe the arrogance or justification you have causes lakefront homeowners to go out enmass and vote against every fishing regulation just to spite you, cause he hates guys that pop his $400 inflatable.

This is what we are trying to fix, and improve. Cause were better than the nasty things that have been said about us these last few months. Or are we ?

Mojo

Quote from: dartag on March 23, 2015, 08:59:20 PM
I agree with The Dude.  The points listed would make a great presentation against tournaments.  As such I will not be voting. 

Love this post too, and this point... You don't think non- tournament anglers, home owners don't already have a list of reasons they don't like us ? I truly don't think you guys are aware of where we are is the community. I personally have been in the boats with out of state guys, who can't understand how us michiganders have so much fishable waters and are jack$$es ? That's a real quote !

However, Dan has protections here for us, and I'll go off line, work with him to move this to the members only board. good call from you and Dude.

Mojo

Quote from: djkimmel on March 23, 2015, 12:47:24 PM

Sorry bro - but this is bigger than just ' one guy'..... However, can you move this to members only board please ?

dartag

Sadly all these threads and FB posts are the result of a couple prominent guys with " connections" that have stirred this up.  They have probably achieved what they wanted to do.

Add doubt to the DNR.  Get the tournament guys arguing with each other.  Which gets them off task of getting the season extended.

Also sad that Dan is getting dragged trough the mud and the guy hasn't been involved with tournaments for quite a few years.

TimH

Frankly, things like hitting/snagging docks or casting by trampolines is a moot point. Homeowners have no more right to put their toys or docks in the water than we do to launch our boats and fish there. I think it would do everyone some good to practice so we are not causing damage (or perceived damage) however, there needs to be an understanding by both parties which will never happen.

While I agree 100% that anglers have the same rights to launch their boat and fish on a lake as the homeowners do to put their toys or docks in the water, there is one BIG difference.  That difference is the potential for damage.  If an angler casts towards an inflatable, dock, swim platform, trampoline, docked boat, jet ski, or whatever else might be floating in the water and causes damage, that is a problem.  Its the equivalent of a homeowner standing on shore and throwing rocks in the general direction of your boat.  It might not be their intention to hit your boat, but just because of your general proximity to where they are throwing, you could get hit.  You wouldn't want the gel coat chipped on your boat by a thrown rock, just like they don't want damage to their property by a misplaced jig.
As for practicing to try and minimize damage, I agree.  However, you can practice everyday for months or even years and still have an errant cast that misses it target.  I watched KVD throw a jerkbait over a seawall on White Lake after making 50 plus prior casts with pin point accuracy.  It can and does happen to everyone.
This truly isn't an issue of who has what rights or the need to practice more.  Its an issue of just being respectful of everyone and their property when you are out fishing.  Without realizing it, our actions just don't reflect on ourselves, but on all bass anglers.

djkimmel

Everyone in a bass boat looks alike to some people. I think most of us don't do most of these things most of the time. Anymore than other boaters and anglers do rude or inconsiderate things. We all have to learn to share the water. Some people share real good. Some people don't like to share.

djkimmel

Some of the things in this 'poll' are not a bad thing in my mind, like spawn fishing. Most anglers do it, whether they are doing it on purpose or not, because our harvest season opens during and before the spawn. And all of the spawn is pretty much covered by the seasons since 2006. The only way not to fish the spawn is to not fish from April until mid-July. We know few, if any, anglers aren't going to do that and it isn't necessary.

Some of the things in the poll none of us should ever do. I've seen plenty of other boaters do some of them too. I think some of us lead by example better than that. Keep up the good work for all boaters.

I wouldn't paint most bass tournament anglers with the broad brush some of the options paint like the discourteous one. I can't tell you how many times I've waved or said hi to other boaters to get their back. They probably still think I'm discourteous though I felt I was being friendly and making an effort. Plus, I think the one about ripping lips to shreds is ridiculous and even inflammatory. How many times do any of us really rip bass lips to shreds?? C'mon... be real. People who think we do that kind of thing are people who want us gone period, and will probably never change their mind.

Be courteous. Be considerate. Do unto others as you would have them do to you. Remember we all have equal rights, first-come, first-serve to the waters and fish. Some people don't understand what we take for granted in our actions our regular things. They are not used to the same things we are used to. Take that into consideration too.

And if you wave and someone and say hi, and all you get is their back, say 'have a nice day' like you mean it, and move along...

Mojo

'Ripping lips' of course is unintentional....... it rarely happens.  IS it the biggest SIN ? No. Is TX boater known for it ? No.

I took out 1 or 2 questions which, turned out, aren't SINs at all. They were replaced with gullet hooked fish and boaters who don't have ice or rejuvenate questions ....

Any other thing Tournament Anglers do that people consider rude?

djkimmel

Unless everyone wants their posts on this thread deleted I don't see why we need to delete it.