Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:20:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Drop shot braid/flouro?

Started by Jefferson, March 11, 2015, 06:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefferson

For your dropshot do you guys prefer all flouro or braid with a flouro leader? Also when using braid with a flouro leader does it help that much to use a swivel between or will you lose sensitivity as opposed to just tying with an Albright or uni to uni?

Manxfishing

Just my opinions

The best feel is going to be with all Flouro
But it's hard to keep on a spinning reel
I've tried most.

The swivel will help with line twist and you won't loose any feel
It all depends if it will go the eyes on our rod. And even then it's hard on the eyes
(I have all micro guides on the DS rods so it's not a option)

Braid with a leader works good, and it's durable
just replace the leader and your good to go
The Braid has great feel on tight line, But on slack line it's numb

This year for a all flouro DS rod
I have a couple Z-bone med casting rods that I bought to replace the Wacky rods
But didn't like the feel of them for that
So I'm going to run all flouro on a 50MG with the z-bone for days when I'd like more feel then
the spinning rod with braid will have
(on real windy days or when there hitting it on the fall)
The whole combo should weigh about the same as just my spinning reel

Ok, Now the DS king can post. LOL

Dan

I have been using Vicious Pro Elite Fluorocarbon and have found it to be as supple as any fluoro I've used. I put it on a Pfleuger arbor spinning reel. The larger arbor is the ticket for all fluoro set ups.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Team houston

I use straight 8lb invisx with a swivel to help with twist. Been doing this for many years with no problems. I know most guys use braid with a leader. I tried it and it just wasn't for me. I also have an Arbor. That with a swivel and a good d-shot weight that has two swivel points and twist is pretty much non existent

dartag

I use 8 lb Fireline with a 10 lb Floro leader.  I have always used a swivel since I can't tie the two together with a good knot.  I have been practicing this knot and will give it a try.  One advantage I like with using braid is you can get a longer cast.  Comes in handy when bed fishing or casting to surfacing fish.  You have to experiment and find out what works for you.  Everyone is different.

Watch this video. 

http://www.fishcrack.com/fishing-101-how-to-tie-the-fg-knot-strongest-and-thinnest-knot-for-braid-to-mono/

YpsiBass

I use either 6 or 8 pound InvisX straight, but use the spinshot hooks.  No twist issues and no problems keeping it on the spool on a spinning reel.

thedude

8 or 10lb power pro straight to 8 lb flouro. You can put a ton of light braid on a small reel. It will twist, just strip 20-30 feet and retie, will last all year. Swivel just gets in the way. Also, rebarb hooks are the deal.

Braid you feel the bite and bottom better and it also drops faster since it comes off the spool easier. Key to getting your bait to a fish you marked on the graph 30 feet down.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Jefferson

Good info. Thanks guys. Sounds like everyone has their own favorite setup. Madwags for me I'm guessing will be the first time using a dedicated drop shot setup. Mostly reaction baits and some weightless soft plastics the last few years for largemouth. Picked up a Mojo drop shot rod, 10lb power pro, 8lb flouro , and now just getting finicky on the details.

Waterfoul

I've been running 15 lb power pro and 8 lb floro for many years.  No swivel... it will wreck the tip guide on your rod no matter how careful you are.  Like thedude said, if you feel a like it's twisted a bit just strip off 10 yards or so and retie.  One thing to make sure is that the two line diameters are as close as possible, which is why I've been running the 15/8 combo... very similar line diameters.  You don't want a thick braid as it just isn't necessary, and you don't want too thin a braided line as it will just cut thu the floro when you put pressure on it.

There, the Drop Shot King (self appointed of course) has spoken.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TimH

I use 10lbs braid with a 8lbs fluorocarbon leader.  I tie the leader directly to the braid, as I find the swivel doesn't help and that its actually more of a hindrance.  Right now I'd drop shot with a anchor rope and truckers chain if it meant I could be out on the water. I am really getting jittery going through serious fish withdrawals. 

t-bone

I've been using braid and fluro leader for many years now. No swivel to protect my guides.
I've been using small diameter braid but have upping the lb test do prevent wind knots.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

korean_bassmaster

I use 10/ braid straight to 7# flouro.   Sometimes I'll throw on a vmc d.s. swivel hook on depending on the bait I'm using. But like others have said most of the time the swivel seems to b more of a nuisance than a help specially with the tip.

derick881

I have been using 10# Nanofil and 8# FC Sniper for the last two seasons with very good results.  You will get 50% longer casts and it won't twist up on you.  When its time to tie up a new leader I will trim 10' or so of the Nanofil off.  I tried swivels but ruined too many tip guides no matter how careful.  I now have gone to the double albright knot, its much easier to tie and works really well.  The knot pulls down to be almost invisible and runs right through the guides.

Dan

Heard what's his name (just remembered it, Lance Valentine, memory issues) talk at the sport show and when he jigs for walleye in the Detroit river he uses straight braid, and yellow at that. He says if fish could see the 12 lb. braid then why do so many fish get caught in gill nets.
One of the best drop shot videos of all times is from a guy on the west coast by the name of Seth Burrill (http://www.anglers-experience.com/video-site.php) and he is adamant that you use a leader that has the same diameter as your main line. It also has been my experience that 15 to 20 lb. (20 lb. Power Pro has an eight pound mono diameter) braid gets a lot fewer wind knots. Don't need the strength but the diameter is important.
Several times I have pre fished on St. Clair with my old traveling partner  and he used straight braid to my braid and fluoro, and we rarely, if ever, saw a difference. On a tough bite I would go with a leader to see if it made a difference, but it has also been my experience that on a tough bite, a lighter line was helpful, but I don't feel it was a fish seeing it thing, as much as it was a lighter and more supple line giving the bait more action.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."