Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:58:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Union Lake

Started by AsianSensation, February 23, 2015, 09:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsianSensation

If anyone likes fishing in 60-80 feet, I would recommend giving this lake a try!

djkimmel

What do you catch that deep?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Which Union Lake??   I live on the one in Commerce / West Bloomfield Twp.

AsianSensation

My Japanese heritage has taught me the fine art of finesse fishing. I like to drops spoons or occasionally a robo worm that deep on Union Lake. Can't say I have caught much, but it is a cool experience being on a lake that deep, but overall, the size of the lake is not truly indicative of the depth. I have only caught a few small bass. It is a good practice lake to test your mental fortitude before a tourney. If you can catch them on Union, then surely you can anywhere else in the area.

I only know of the Union Lake in Commerce. I hope there aren't more lol. One is definitely plenty.

TimH

I have been fortunate to fish with "asianSensation" on numerous occasions.  He is from family with long tradition of finesse fishing, and has certainly developed himself into the czar of drop shoting.
I do agree with him that Union Lake is a tough one, but then I have only fished it once so I really haven't put in the time needed to understand its inner workings.

dartag

I have lived on it for 30 years.  It is a tough lake to fish since there are very few weeds and the water is usually clear. But because of that it is a great lake to live on.    The best way to fish is follow the edge of the drops.  You will see many more fish than you catch.  Used to fish it deep when they planted trout.  They did a study about 15 years ago and found out the oxygen levels below 40 feet are very low.  They quit planting trout and started putting walleye in.  They seem to be doing very well. 

Are you the guy in the Nitro that fishes alone out there quite a bit.  I live by the launch and notice bass boats when they go out.

TimH

Nope, not me in the Nitro.  I have a Javelin 170 that is black and red.  Thanks for the tips about the drops and oxygen levels.  As I had mentioned, I haven't spent much time on Union Lake, but I might head back that way this year to give it another try.

dartag

If the ice ever melts send me a pm when you are going out,  I can give you a tour.  I live just south of the launch and my Ranger is usually in the driveway.

Skulley

My wife's Grandfather holds a Master Angler for trout on Union Lake. That was probably about 50 years ago. When he passed a few years ago, we found a certificate issued by the MDNR for that catch.

BD.                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dartag

When I moved in they used to plant rainbows.  I remember guys out at night with a lantern hanging over the side of the boat.  Also guys used to troll with Cow Bells.  They planted Splake for a while but found out the oxygen level below 30 feet had diminished and the trout did not survive the summer.  They plant Walleye now and they are doing great.  I catch a few while bass fishing.  Never have eaten one but I hear they taste good.   The lake has Cisco's that no one ever catches but you see a couple dead ones during the summer.  Now that the smallies are done spewing the top water bite will start.