Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:10:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Defending Our Sport!

Started by blakstr1, January 31, 2006, 06:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage

Forget Hooter girls at weigh in, I want a Hooters co-angler! ;D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Skulley

My wife wouldn't let me have a Hooters Co-Angler.   

BD       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Jmcfarland

Guys I only read the first and second post but let me tell you that bass fishing is not only a sport, it may be the best sport there is. Im only 20 but in my opinion any sport that you can only blame yourself at is one worth playing. I rode motocross for a short time and let me tell you that is tiring. I get just as tired however after spending a weekend of TOURNAMENT fishing. My level of concentration actually wears me out in as little as 2 days. If thats not a sport I dont know what is. If anyone wants to know why its the best sport just take a look around the next time your out fishing. It just dont get any better than that.

blakstr1

Performance Psychology and Tournament Fishing: Practical suggestions for practice

Practice: Misperceptions and practical suggestions

No question, tournament angling is real athletic competition. As in other sports, competitive fishermen show individual variations in natural talent. Regrettably, however, there are also wide individual differences in dedication and commitment to improvement.

Remember that guy in high school who made the team purely on the basis of his natural athleticism? He didn?t do extra practice, he didn?t really push himself, he just showed up with enough God-given talent that he was able to play without doing much work.

The world of tournament fishing also contains such individuals. It says here this is not the kind of competitor you want to be, however. Rather, this is the guy you should strive to pass on the leaderboard in tournaments. And you can, if you are willing to put in the time, hone your skills and practice.

Practice fishing

Practice fishing, to most competitive anglers, means going to a lake and using the skills and techniques they already have to locate fish prior to a tournament. However, that is a far cry from what practice is in other sports.

No reasonable basketball coach, for example, would spend three days just scrimmaging prior to a game. But that is essentially what tournament fishermen do. If you went to your son?s or cousin?s basketball practice and all the coach did was throw a ball out on the court, divide the kids into ?shirts and skins? and let them play, you would pop a cork!

And rightly so. At least for basketball, you recognize that just playing the game is not an efficient way to improve. It is very difficult to learn a new technique under the constraints of a game situation. Good basketball players practice a wide range of specific offensive and defensive drills. They run plays over and over again, trying different variations to see which ones work best.

Do you do that in your practice fishing? I am willing to bet you do not. To extend our analogy, a good basketball player has to be able to dribble with both hands. If you are right-handed, you may recall the frustrations of practicing your left-hand dribble. When you finally got it and did the crossover dribble in a game, blowing by some surprised opponent on the left side....well, that was a great day!

Can you cast with your left hand? It?s not a big deal, you say. Casting left-handed wouldn?t make much difference during the course of a season. That opinion, and others like it, might be worth reconsidering.

Like some of you, I fish pro-am tournaments from the back of the boat. Because of that, I have to be able to cast left-handed. When a right-handed pro is on a dock pattern, my right-hand cast is useless. On more than a few occasions, I have watched pros drive away from dock fish they missed because they could not get back to them with a left-handed presentation. In one instance, I caught the 3-pounder that would have won the tournament for the guy up front.

Individual skill development

Okay, so maybe casting left-handed doesn?t interest you. However, as you review your tournament performance from 2005 and set your goals for 2006, I strongly encourage you to build into your schedule dedicated time for individual skill development.

We have talked in previous columns about the importance of cataloging your strengths and weaknesses. At least on an annual basis, you need a critical analysis of your skills. All good competitors do this. However, most talented athletes in other sports use the observations and insights of their coach.

Unless you have taken previous advice from this column and found yourself a mentor, you?re stuck having to evaluate your own performance, an undertaking that includes potential fraud and deception.

Whether it?s deep cranks, Senkos or drop-shotting, you need to pick two or three specific fishing techniques in which you are not currently an expert and build a practice schedule to increase your proficiency.

You could also pick secondary dimensions like getting better at driving your boat in rough water or learning more about your electronics. Seriously, how many of those 6 zillion features on your state-of-the-art LCD menu do you truly understand?

I know it sounds boring to go out on a lake with only a drop-shot rod in hand and just do that for several hours. It?s especially difficult to stay with it when you know there is a great topwater bite up near shore.

Go back to the left-hand dribble. You didn?t learn that in five minutes or in one day, did you? There were plenty of times in the driveway at home when you kept practicing instead of taking off with your buddies. But the first time you successfully used that dribble in a game, it made it all worthwhile, wouldn?t you say?

How many tournaments did you have last year where one more good fish would have made a big difference? Are you willing to work at it and do real practice, or are you just going to show up and scrimmage again this year?

Your circuit is no different than the Wal-Mart FLW Tour. Every year, young anglers who are willing to work hard and practice are finishing ahead of guys with more experience. In competitive fishing, as in many other sports, if you?re not seriously practicing and getting better, you?re falling behind.

Jay T. McNamara, Ph.D., L.P., is a psychologist, who is also an avid bass and walleye angler. With more than 26 years of professional experience complemented by participation in competitive fishing at local and national levels, he is uniquely qualified to illustrate how performance psychology principles apply to tournament fishing.

Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Skulley

What an excellent article.  That Doc has hit it right on the head.  My hats off to him.  I have developed other skills in fishing.  I can cast both with my right and left hands.  I taught myself to do that a long, long time ago.  I felt that in order to be able to fish areas effectively, I would need to do this.  It has helped me hit smaller targets with my lures.  Above all I try to set goals for myself every year I fish.  One of them is always about learning something new. 

BD      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

blakstr1

that is one of the big tips KVD will tell you, learn to use both lefthand and righthand reels, he keeps about an equal amount of each with him all the time.  it will allow a bunch more casts in an eight hour tournament.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

fishon1219

That practise article makes perfect sense. I often find myself going out to practise for a tournament and fishing the same things I fish every were else. I catch them in practise, but on the day of the tourney the weather has changed and the fish I was catching aren't there any more. This past season I was able to adapt and find those fish just because I know were they are supposed to be under certain weather conditions and forced my self not to fish those patterns during practise, but to look for other fish that aren't so affected by the changing weather. Because of this I was able to win angler of the year in my club. It is just a small club with about 20 anglers, but I approached every event as if it were the bass master classic. I was able to catch a limit when the other participants could only catch 1 fish and I owe all of that to not fishing the same old thing. When I was younger I was real good at fishing the Jig-n-pig but I had not eventhrown one for about 10 years. I started out by only taking 5 jigs in my boat and 1 rod and forced my self to re hone my skills on this. It did really suck when the sun was shinning and the wind was blowing because I knew that if I had a spinnerbait I could crush them. In turn though I figured out how to catch the same fish with that jig-n-pig and come tourney day if it was 90 degrees and calm I knew i could catch them. This year I plan to start fishing shoreline structure, This has always been a weakness of mine as I always preferred to fish the offshore stuff that knowbody else liked to fish. I guess I should start practising casting into a coffee can. I should be good at it in about 5 years.  :D
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

kgr624

Blakstr1,
             I know exactly what your talking about. When I first started fishing i couldn't decide if I wanted to fish right handed or left handed. So I practiced both ways and I still have a hard time picking what baitcasters i want to go with in a short night tournament. I fish these Gander Mountain tournaments on Wednesday nights and I always end up just picking up rods and throwing them and i never find my wrist getting tired kinda nice. NOW I am not saying I always catch fish but it is nice not to go home with carpaletunnel. :)
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same