Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:31:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Up north trip help

Started by Jefferson, January 02, 2015, 12:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefferson

I'm looking to plan a 2 night trip for myself and 2 buddies to one of the 3 lakes up by Hubbard. Never been up there to fish, any opinions on affordable lodging, which lake to fish, and when? We're looking at late august and would have to rent a boat so trying all three is not an option.

TheFishinPollock

We rented a nice cabin on Hubbard for the NBAA  state  championship last year . Place called Bayview. IT's on the west side.   Whatever you do  DO NOTTTTTTTTT stay at the hubbard lake motel.   Picture the bates motel. Our room had blood on the floor and wall, a pry bar mark from where the cops busted into it  and 1 Tv channel with no weather report.    Alpena has tons of motels and hotles in it . They held the meeting at one across from the ford dealership on the north side of town. I cant rember the name , but it use to be the old holiday inn.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

dartag

I stayed at the Days Inn in Alpena after  FP tipped me off.  Nice place with plug ins for boats.  Look at Grand and Long lake.  Some good smallies there.

rangerfan

The name of the old Holiday Inn hotel is called the Sanctuary Inn....real nice place.

djkimmel

Hubbard might be decent fishing in late August. I'm thinking Long Lake might be better and easier fishing overall for better bass that time of year but I would defer to people who have been up there a lot more recently than me.

Hubbard gets better going into fall a little later after the easy pickings of the spawn period are over. You might catch lots of bass, I'm just not sure how many bigger bass?

I don't have a lot of experience on Grand. I know it is very popular with lots of good bass anglers but I've only managed to hit it in windy, stormy weather when the water was very stirred up bordering on muddy. The bite was slow and tough then.

I've been told some of the resorts on the West side of Hubbard rent/provide boats to use. I believe there's one or two rentals on Long. Don't know about Grand. Some of the members on here should know that.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Jefferson

Well my Hubbard idea got vetoed pretty quick and its now looking like Fletchers in early june. A place called Lyons Landing. Thanks to the guys sharing some info on Hubbard and Alpena area.

peterman9000

I rented a cabin and fished Grand Lake with a bunch of friends last Memorial Day weekend. Great time to be up there if the weather is nice. Fishing was awesome. Hopefully you have similar luck.

Jefferson

We ended up booked for Fletchers Pond on May 21-24. Everything I read about the place says use spinnerbaits, but also it's a stump wonderland and that screams squarebills and wakebaits to me. Guess I'll find out when I get there.

djkimmel

Yes - just fish without running around much. Lots to run into but that should mean lots to cast to too!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dave B

Fletchers pond is alot of fun. No jet skis or water skiers. Be very careful lots of stumps eveerywhere.

mike12

Lots of Great Lakes up there in driving distance of Fletcher's too.hope u get good weather seems like it is always windy when we are up there.jacks landing on Fletcher's has a bait shop and is super helpful.i would be careful if u are taking a nice boat up there u are pretty much guaranteed to hit something lots of stumps just under tha surface so u can't see them.