Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:39:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Burt/Mullett

Started by dashaver63, June 17, 2007, 09:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashaver63

What an awesome fishery. Despite fishing from the back of the boat and watching my boater work beds most of the day, I did manage 1 fish for 4-15, and 4 other short fish. I have not seen water that clear since I left San Diego. All you Michigan anglers are an awesome group of guy's, and Dan, it was a real pleasure to meet you. See you at St. Clair.

Doug

1javelin

I saw Ebond up there near the top of the list, 6th I believe, and BShaner missed the money, but didn't see you anywhere on there Kimmel.  What's up?  Congrats Ebond, and all of you that took part in the tourney.  Sounds like it was a good time.
Live to fish, Fish to live.

motocross269

Well I pretty much shot any hope of getting to regionals.  Big 0.  I really don't know what to say and I won't make any excuses, but things didn't pan out.  I had a great practice day, but on Saturday everything changed.
I drew a great Boater in cast and blast and he tried to make things as good for me as he could.  The Fish that we had both found in practice weren't there tournament morning.
It has been a tough return to tourney fishing, between my boat problems and results I am about ready to take up golf.

dashaver63

Golf? Man thats TOO much work, and probably even more frustrating. I'd rather go to my job than to ever get my clubs out again. Besides, good finishes on St. Clair and 1 or 2 of the others will still get you there. Don't give up on it just yet. St.Clair and the 2 on the Detroit are wide open where you're not hitting specific targets. You'll get it going!

Doug

Slipkey

I feel your pain, motocross, though I'd hold off on golf for the moment (though with the price of gas, a day of fishing is getting close to the cost of 18 holes at a really, really nice course...). 

I found some decent fish in practice in several different areas but yesterday they were gone.  We did boat walleyes, perch, and a bunch of rock bass in the areas we fished, but no brown fish. With my practice time I wan't able to find them on the beds but I thought I had put together a nice little pattern working big Gorby spots (those low weed patches) on the drops and catching roamers as they came up to the flats. 

My co-angler caught one roamer on a dropshot and I managed a single face-saver after the wind started to blow a bit, off of one of the reefs. :-\'

In hindsight I should have spent more time on Burt.  I know at least one of the guys that weighed 20+ made the long idle through to Burt and whacked them on beds he'd found last weekend.

I definitely like the fishery, though.   It was my first time there and I gave my dad a buzz and told him we have a new place to go for our late October smallies and walleyes getaway. :)

Bulletproof

Quote from: motocross269 on June 17, 2007, 03:15:32 PM
Well I pretty much shot any hope of getting to regionals.  Big 0.  I really don't know what to say and I won't make any excuses, but things didn't pan out.  I had a great practice day, but on Saturday everything changed.
I drew a great Boater in cast and blast and he tried to make things as good for me as he could.  The Fish that we had both found in practice weren't there tournament morning.
It has been a tough return to tourney fishing, between my boat problems and results I am about ready to take up golf.

Were they still on the beds?  I have adopted an axiom my friend shared with me about smallies--'here today, gone tomorrow'.

Seems like if you find good largemouth they have more of a tendency to stick to the area you found them in.  

You must really be bummed if you're considering golfing.....
I am haunted by waters.

josh617

hey motocross, dont think u blew your chance at regionals, cuz u didnt, most co's have one goose egg throughout the year and many still qualify. Also only what 72 co's caught a fish, so thats only 32 people u got to beat to get into the top 40. and remember not all the co's fish every event, last year i zero on burt/mullett and finished 26th in points. so dont give up yet. just dont zero again. ;D

motocross269

Thanks alot for the encouragement..I had my one day of wallowing in self pity and now I am over it. 
One thing..Bshaner thanks alot for taking me out for practice.  It was great meeting your family and you put us on a ton of fish on Friday...They just weren't there Saturday..

CuradoKev

Motorcross if you blanked as a coangler and plan on fishing the rest, you are not out of a regional spot at all.

Keep your chin up, I blanked last year as a co there and made the regional without scoring that high all last summer.

You catch fish all year and more than likely you'll be fine.

Ckev
SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

jcox7

Well my day went as I thought it would all except one thing that was. I had located 5 good beds that I felt I could fish without any pressure they were way off the beaten path of boats.  I ran to my first fish a 5.1 and about 100 yds before arriving I was past by howard the guy who won he pulled right up to the bed no one else around I just got beat by a faster boat.  Went on to catch my next two bass within 20 min and my co lost my 4th fish fan casting hitting the but I was still ok I had around 8 lbs in the first 45 min I went to my next bed it took some time but after working the bed for 40 min or so I got him to go so three fish just under 11 lbs I worked another 5 lb I found in practice for well over an hour after two others worked him for over 3 hours she just wasnt going to go searched around but came up empty only catching 2 nmore shorts so at the end 3 fish 10lb 14 oz oh well maybe next time.

SODY

Consider that a good day, I drew a local who tried every spot on Mullet, he had been on fish and they just moved and developed lockjaw. We both zeroed and that was a hard pill to swallow.  Oh well! I did learn the lake. I'm wanting to know if the majority of the Larger sacks came from Burt.

They were definatly pressured fish on Mullet!

Mojo

Nothing worse than being so frustrated you mention the G word. Dont do it for Goodness sakes ! There's no harmony in a cart like there is floating over the waves expecting a 4 lber each and every cast !!!!
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

REEL_MAN

Heard a rumor that we won't be going back to Burt/Mullet next year. Any truth to it???

REEL_MAN

Skip Johnson

moto it was fun fishin with you sorry it was soooo tough on burt I feel awefull that you didnt weigh a fish, thank god you seen all the same fish friday on burt or Id think you thought I was full of BS.
I had very good fish located and I thought the wind and clouds would work to our favor but it removed all of the fish, man what a bummer >:(
if we go there next year Im not playing with post spawn fish again theyre just too un predictable.
Go Big or Go Home!

kensho

Yeah I didn't weigh a fish either as a co- Limited out on Pike in the first two hours!  Caught a five pounder but at the net my boater knocked it's tail enough to flip it off.   Oh well, that's why I have a day job.  I really like that lake.

MBell

I heard we will be going back to Burt/Mullet but later in the year, didn't know when just not the spring.  The rest of the series sounded the same, erie/stclair/grand.  There was a new lake he couldn't remember that started with and "S", it wasn't saginaw bay.  My best guess was Sandusky.  Wish we could get started at least by the weekend after the opener.  I don't think I'm going to fish the rest anymore, just too close together.  I'll save my money for a stren or a bunch of fun fishing.  Those crusiers sure did dissappear, they were up for a solid week and then vanished.  I fished beds but had two key fish get off and ran to an area where I had been catching big crusiers but they were gone. 
-Matt   

REEL_MAN

Talked to a friend of mine at FLWoutdoors and he said that at this time Burt/Mullet is NOT on next years schedule but it is subject to change. The schedule isn't filled yet. Do not count on Saginaw Bay, they feel it's to dangerous and if the wind kicks up we are limited to the river (so what's new it happens on Erie all the time). Let Anthony know how you feel he will go where we want within reason.

REEL_MAN

djkimmel

I started to post my sad story the other night about Mullett, but fell asleep and lost power - story gone... I will still tell it since sometimes we learn as much from the bad as the good. I will say I was around enough fish to place high and maybe get big bass all day. I just could not catch them.

I also have some news on the 2008 BFL, but there may be some interesting things next season... and maybe not. That is not much less than what I know at the moment. As soon as I find out AND have permission to share, I will do so. Burt/Mullett will not be on the schedule next year, but we will go back in the future.

It never hurts to let the tournament director (Anthony in this case) know your preferences even if you are in the minority, but next year may be out of his hands... that's all I know so far. He still likes us very much and will be our tournament director so that is not what I'm saying. Just... stay tuned... that's what I'm saying.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Now you really have us wondering what is going on.........................