Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Letter of Intent from Cabellas

Started by Dan, May 15, 2007, 11:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

News 8 in Grand Rapids reported tonight that the developer for the proposed mall in Walker (NW Grand Rapids suburb) has a letter of intent from Cabellas. He said they were exchanging proposals back and forth and he was confident of a deal soon.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Cy

I heard something about this morning on the news.  It sounds like they are close.  Dan, You had better get your job application soon.  You want to make sure you are the first in line.

I think I will have my wife get a job there.  I would like the discount and I don't have time to have more jobs then I already do.  ;)

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

JCOOPER

I will still stand by my opinion on this.  When this does happen, everyone will need to make one more trip to their favorite tackle store.  Take it while you can,  you might not have much time.  Some of the smaller struggling stores might just throw in the towel before they even feel an impact from it.
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

Dan

We only have a couple of independents around here and I think they will do just fine. Walmart was suppose to close Meijer and that never happened. There may be some impact and I'm sure there will always be some when the pie is cut up smaller, but the area will gain many more jobs than what they would loose.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

BryanP

I have to agree with JCooper on this one.  I've been in this business my whole life, and these stores aren't always a good thing. 

In order to survive, the few independents that are left will really have to specialize and focus on service.  And by service, I don't mean over the counter replacements on broken rods that are 5 years old and have been abused (like BPS and Cabelas tend to do).  True service is providing first hand product knowledge, staying up on the newest techniques, and stocking the hot new products before anyone else gets them.  Places like Al & Bob's and D&R can do this because they have the right people working there that know what they're talking about.  Sure, they might charge a few more bucks on some items, but they offer a great selection and have the knowledge to answer most questions.  The big boxes tend to undercut pricing, and hire cheap help which most of the time isn't very knowledgeable.  Truth be told, they're not in it to make money on fishing tackle (or whatever else they sell).  It's all about real estate!

Other than my guidewear suit, I don't think I've spent $200 at BPS and Cabelas combined over the past two years.  And I live 20 miles from a Cabelas store!

I'll take a good independent over a big box any day!

Bulletproof

Quote from: BryanP on May 16, 2007, 06:53:20 PM
I have to agree with JCooper on this one.  I've been in this business my whole life, and these stores aren't always a good thing. 

In order to survive, the few independents that are left will really have to specialize and focus on service.  And by service, I don't mean over the counter replacements on broken rods that are 5 years old and have been abused (like BPS and Cabelas tend to do).  True service is providing first hand product knowledge, staying up on the newest techniques, and stocking the hot new products before anyone else gets them.  Places like Al & Bob's and D&R can do this because they have the right people working there that know what they're talking about.  Sure, they might charge a few more bucks on some items, but they offer a great selection and have the knowledge to most questions.  The big boxes tend to sleeper everything out, and hire cheap help which most of the time isn't very knowledgeable.  Truth be told, they're not in it to make money on fishing tackle (or whatever else they sell).  It's all about real estate!

Other than my guidewear suit, I don't think I've spent $200 at BPS and Cabelas combined over the past two years.  And I live 20 miles from a Cabelas store!

I'll take a good independent over a big box any day!

Well said.

I also believe Cabela's is looking for a large amount of corporate welfare in this one too--massive tax breaks.  The area in Walker is already developed, not like the Dundee phenomenon.  On top of this, most of the jobs created are at or below the poverty line.  Don't see why we need to give Cabela's incentive to  do business here, there're not bringing in hundreds of good paying jobs. 
I am haunted by waters.

MBell

Don't know what you guys are getting so excited about, D&R has a way better selection than cableas other than the walleye stuff.  I've probobly spent less than $100 at the dundee cableas, I already have enough sweatshirts and get better prices elsewhere. 
-Matt

JCOOPER

The jobs also will be no big deal.  They will not pay well.  Most management jobs will be imported. 

I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

Waterfoul

Quote from: JCOOPER on May 17, 2007, 11:25:58 AM
The jobs also will be no big deal.  They will not pay well.  Most management jobs will be imported. 

Ah yes... but 3 shifters such as myself will be LINED UP for the part time jobs they will have available.  Employee discounts rock!!!  I can tell you for sure that myself and a couple of my friends will be first in line for those part time jobs.  I recently went thru a corporate buy out at work... and it involved a pay cut... so  part time a.m. job would be great for me to support my fishing addiction!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mojo

I do make it a practice to visit KDs a bit. Gander Mountain is useless on fishing gear. Why cant these guys get it right ! ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

LUMBERLEO

The economic value of a Cabela's in this area will be huge.  We are a struggling city because we are afraid to make desicions like these. For instance the world class Zoo that we shot down a couple of years ago.  For small tax raise we shot down the chance of having one of the top Zoos in the world.  It will be hard on some of the small shops but like you guys said Al and Bob's and D and R will be fine.  They are service and special products you are not going to see at Cabela's.  When Gander/Dicks/Then another Gander opened  I thought they would run out the local shops.  The large stores seem to bring a little more awareness to town which nocked the dust off of some rod/reels that have been in the garage for a long time.  BY the way I Al and Bob's are doing better then they ever have.   

I think this is a important issue we face with all products we purchase.

Scott

OUTLAW

WOW that great it will give us a chance to buy stuff that we can't get at a local level. It's kind of not fare to the local stores, they should make cabelas go some were else, but that would not be fare to them so what should we do.