Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Top Bass Saginaw Bay?

Started by MBell, May 26, 2007, 08:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBell

Anyone fish it.  Winning weight, big bass, # of boats?  Bent prop shaft friday night so didn't make it.
Thanks, Matt

fishon1219

I didnt fish it, but I was on the bay and fishing near 3 guys fishing the tournament. On guy I spoke to and just back off and watched for a while that was sight fishing beds was throwing back anything under 3 1/2 lbs before he even had a limit. He told me it was going to take a 4lb average to make a check. This seemed odd to me to throw back fish before you had a limit.

I know he didnt have a limit because he caught one just over 3 lbs and put it back in the lake and than caught one right around 4 a few minuets later and in the box it went and he said that was number 2.

When we arrived at our first fishing area there were 8 boats that were anchored not in the event with stringers full of 3 and 4 lb smallies and 3 guys that were in the tournament. It was raining and a windy making sight fishing difficult.

I dont know what the final results were, but this guy seemed very confident that he was going to catch somemore big ones.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

MBell

It always takes at least 19.5-20lbs just to get a check this time of year, so anything under 3.5lb is a waste of time.  Culling can waste a ton of time because they all look the same so be ready for that.
-Matt

fishon1219

I understand the 20 lb thing. What was wierd to me though is if he was to catch a 6lber and than a 3 lber he is already above a 4 lb average. I would hat to come to the scales with only 4 fish and wished I kept a 3lber. With as many fish that were in the area I am sure he filled his limit with 4lb plus, but you never know what could happen. Trolling motor could break, Big motor not start. He could trip and break his leg, anything could happen. Maybe its just me, but I will be throwing anything that keeps in my livewell until I get my limit and than take the 2 minuets to cull.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

joshimoto son

If he's bed fishing, maybe he feels confident that he will catch his four pound average or like he said the 3.5 lber's won't help him so he descided to release the fish near the bed and not on the other side of the island or some place far away.

fishon1219

I am not saying he was wrong with what he was doing. This was my 1st trip ever to the bay and I really didnt know what to expect. It just seemed strange to me to turn them loose before a limit in the boat. Later in the day I knew exactly why he was doing what he was doing, but if the sun wouldnt have came out he would have had a hard time. Or if his TM would have broke he would have a hard time, Or if one of the isolated T-storms in the area would have rolled through hard time again.

Maybe it is just because I am a tournament rookie, but a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. Just my way of thinking I guess.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

MBell

Thats how you fish to win out there.  If you have 3lber in your bag it would almost take a miracle to win.  A lot of guys like me are only fishing that tournament so points don't matter, just the win.  There are so many fish and they are so easy to fish, it's all about time management.  Culling wouldn't be that big of a deal with the weather on saturday, but last year I was only able to fish for 3 hours due to rough water so every minute counted.  If your looking for 3lbers, there no reason to even start the outboard and waste the gas.  It's a unique fishery this time of year takes some getting used to.  You can have the day of your life and not even make a top ten. 
-Matt

McCarter

That was really cool of the guy to put those fish right back, knowing they wouldnt help him.  I dont know if i could do that.  A 3 lber to me is like gold in a tournament.  I take what i can get and then make up excuses for what i didnt get.  But it sounds like this guy is a true sportsman. 

McCarter himself :-\'

BigSmallie

I fished it.   

Nice 20 mph wind out of the North East made for a long rough ride.  :'(

I believe Sokolowski (spl) won with 21 and change.    I took 3rd and big bass with 20.74.  Can't remember who took 2nd.....but I think he got me by 2 or 3 ounces.   

My BB was 5.01 and I broke off the biggest one I had marked.  :'(     But........that will happen from time to time.

Due to the wind and gas......they only drew 28 or 29 boats..........so you didn't miss much.........that is unless you like to visit the Chiropractor!!!

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

MBell

Thanks for the report.  About what I expected, I found about 20 fish over 4lbs but only 2 over 5lbs.  Those big fish just disappear after the pre-spawn, one of these years I'll figure them out.
-Matt