Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

need some new sticks

Started by djkimmel, December 17, 2005, 05:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

dartag

need some new sticks
? Thread Started on Dec 14, 2005, 5:11pm ?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
going to have to upgrade a few rods for next year. was wondering what you guys like.. going to get 2 spinning and 2 bait cast. i do a lot of smallmouth fishing with tubes and now drop shotting.. i know dan uses allstar what modles do you use..

thanks

steve smith 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blakstr1

Re: need some new sticks
? Reply #1 on Dec 14, 2005, 6:04pm ?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KISTLER RODS!! before you buy any rod, please take a serious look at the Kistler series. they have a full line of technique specific rods as well as "do all" rods. They are super strong and super lightweight...if you decide to buy some let me know first, I may be able to extend an offer to you. www.kistlerrods.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ronhuntfish

? Reply #2 on Dec 14, 2005, 7:58pm ?   

I am partial to the Scooby Doo model.
Although, I also use Mickey Mouse.   
dartag

? Reply #3 on Dec 14, 2005, 8:31pm ?   

when i found out popiel pocket fishermen didn't make a flippin stick, i figured i would ask for input.. my dog loves the snoopy fishermen.. 
? Last Edit: Dec 14, 2005, 8:32pm by dartag ?  68.60.180.76

MBell

? Reply #4 on Dec 14, 2005, 10:07pm ?   

Been building a lot of rods lately and the best value for your money seems to be St. Croix, the avid series are great rods for the price. I like kistlers too, but they are a little over priced in my opinion. Theres a lot of good rods out there, you just need to find something that you like in your price range.
-Matt

-Matt
potter

? Reply #5 on Dec 14, 2005, 10:51pm ?   

Snoopy is quality stuff, but I too prefer St. Croix.

Just my 2 cents.

potter 
dartag

? Reply #6 on Dec 15, 2005, 6:13am ?   

Dec 14, 2005, 10:07pm, MBell wrote:Been building a lot of rods lately and the best value for your money seems to be St. Croix, the avid series are great rods for the price. I like kistlers too, but they are a little over priced in my opinion. Theres a lot of good rods out there, you just need to find something that you like in your price range.
-Matt

curious where you get your rod build supplies. any place local.. i used to build my own rods for steelhead fishing... since we have many more months of snow and ice thay may be something to keep me busy.

thanks
blakstr1

? Reply #7 on Dec 15, 2005, 6:44am ?   

Matt is right about the price of these premium rods, its all what you want to spend. I never owned a Kistler until I was inducted into a pro staff situation, the discount brought me to Kistler and I'm very glad it did, the rods are very nice...I find it hard to use anything else, not only because of the discount but the feel of the rod is awesome.

I've used a buddies St. Croix, like them very much..as do I with the G. Loomis..but until I rob a bank....no Loomii for me.

I would have to say best all around rod for the cheap price I've ever owned is the BPS Bionic Blade. Every now and again you can get 2 for $99 (maybe cheaper), they seem to be indestructible! 
fishon1219

? Reply #8 on Dec 15, 2005, 7:19am ?   

I personally used to exclusivly use the BPS woo daves edition extreme rods. Great rods for the price, but in the last 4 years I have been upgrading to St. Croix avid series. I buy 2 new ones evry year. They have great action's for my style of fishing and I have small, fat, hands and the handles on the avid's seem to fit me better than any other rods I have tried. 
blakstr1

? Reply #9 on Dec 15, 2005, 7:53am ?   

that was a mjor knock i had against the BPS rods, typically handles are way too long for me... I noticed the Avid's fit real well and again the Kistler rods are about perfect. 
dartag

? Reply #10 on Dec 15, 2005, 8:09am ?   

my buddy uses Kistler and loves them.. probably get some of those after the christmas bills are paid off..

thanks for the info

ss 
jcheetam

? Reply #11 on Dec 15, 2005, 9:03am ?   

Blake beat me to it...Kistler's are what I carry (the new LTX look SWEET...a flipping stick that weighs 3 oz?! How does Trey do it?). Anyways, I may be selling some in the near future, so, depending on what length/action/etc. I may have what you are looking for. If it is St. Croix Avids you are looking for, I have a few of those I am looking to get rid of as well... 

Jeff

Something smells fishy....
MBell

? Reply #12 on Dec 15, 2005, 11:05am ?   

Agree that BPS handles are too long, I usually cut mine down a little bit. Have a few of the woo daves rods, BPS had them on clearance for $50 so couldn't pass up. Suprisingly my favorite bass pro rods are the tourney specials. I have a few that have just been great tube rods for me so go figure. Get my stuff at jannsnetcraft.com they are in maumee,oh about 25 minutes south of cabelas on 23 ups ground will be next day most of the time. For other stuff check out mudhole.com both places charge roughly $20 to ship a 6'6"+ rod.
-Matt 

PoorBoy
Bass Champion

? Reply #13 on Dec 15, 2005, 1:45pm ?   

Airrus Rods.

2002 ICAST Best of Show Award

2003 ICAST Best of Show Award

2004 ICAST Best of Show Award

2004 Feild and Stream Rod of the Year Award

2003 and 2004 Tackle Tour Editor Choice Awards

Outdoor Life Magazine Award

www.rodsbyairrus.com

Official Rod of the American Bass Anglers (thank you very much)

They are not as light as the Kistler rods but in my opinion they are the most sensitive rods on the market. And they have the best combination of backbone and action. It seems like a lot of rods that have good action lack backbone, and those that have the backbone lack a good soft action tip. Airrus rods have both. They are awesome.

PoorBoy himself

P.S. ABA member save 20%   

get the net, i dropped my beer
emeryj

? Reply #14 on Dec 15, 2005, 3:49pm ?   

I'm just currious... I've been investing my money into the Quantum PT rods. The baitcasters and Spinning combinations both fit my hands really well and I like the sensitivity.
I have not heard of some of these other rods.

Airrus and Kistler. I would like to know if some of you have had the chance to compare them to the PT rods. If so, I would be interested in your comments.

Josh

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

dartag

? Reply #15 on Dec 15, 2005, 4:09pm ?   

" I've been investing my money into the Quantum PT rods "

the seem to make a nice rod. some guy named Kenin from kzoo uses them i think... he seem to do ok. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PoorBoy
Bass Champion

? Reply #16 on Dec 15, 2005, 4:39pm ?   

I havent compared the AiRRUS rods to the Quantum. But i will tell you what i like about AiRRUS rods.

1) Price. They range from 54.95 for the Centurion model to 159.95 for the Ultra XL model with the Co Matrix model costing $94.95. The Co Matrix is my favorite, tho i have not had a chance to use the new Ultra yet. But the Co Matrix is a bad behind rod.

2) Unlimited lifetime warranty. St Croix has really stiffened up on warranty returns. I sent many rods to them over the years and never had problems but I have talked to a few people lately that said they are tightnening up. I also heard the same of G Loomis rods which is now owned by Shimano. The AiRRUS warranty is no hassel. Even if you slam the rod in your car door, he will send you out a new one.

3) Sensitivity. As i said before, they are the most sensitive rod i have ever used. It is because of the design of the rod itself. Seriously you would have to fish with one to understand what i am talking about.

4) Innovation. This guy is seriously changing the way rods are being made. he is like a mad scientist. He is the only person in the industry who could figure out how to chemically fuse Graphite and Spectra fibers ( the material they use to make braided fishing line and said to tbe the most sensitive man made material on the planet) together without sacrificing rod strength. This resulted in the Spectra AFT model which won 3 awards in 2003. And coming out in 06 will be the first ever Carbon Fiber NanoTube fishing rod. I cant get into all the details of this one because i dont speak the language, but you can read about it on the website. It will without a doubt be the coolest new fishing rod to come a long since the introduction of graphite. And all others will follow in his footsteps.

5) Awards. This guy has won a ton of awards and broke several records in the process. If that many industry leaders are handing out awards for the rods, you know it isnt just hype. the guy is onto something and i am happy to be a part of it.

6) Accesability. If you tried to call St Croix, or G Loomis and ask for the owner of the company so you could talk to him/her about how the rods are made you would get laughed at. I know some custom rod builders are easy to get ahold of and i know Trey Kistler is also accesible. And thats how it is at Airrus. You get ahold of Ken and he will talk to you for hours if you want about every step that goes into the rod making process, how he came up with the idea for the different models, etc...anything you ever wanted to know about fishing rods. He is an awesome guy.

7) Free Product. this is my favorite one of all. I get all the rods i want for free. Because im special. I dont abuse it tho. I ask only for what i need and nothing more. He is good to me and in return i try my hardest to get his stuff into as many hands as i can. KD Outdoors was kind enough to bring the rods into the store to sell and they sold 12 of them in a matter of days. they still have 4 left but i bet they will go soon.

SO there ya have it. I wont claim that one rod company makes a better rod than the next, but i use what i like and i like AiRRUS rods.

PoorBoy himself   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dartag

? Reply #17 on Dec 15, 2005, 5:39pm ?   

hey poor boy how do you get the 20% discount for ABA members.. i have been with them a couple of years..
i checked out there site.. i will mention your name if i order some.

wow, 2 pages of replies in one day. and all posative, must be everyone is snowed in.

maybe Dan will give me a couple or All Stars for all the traffic on the site today...

thanks, got to go snow blow the driveway ( again )

jcheetam

? Reply #18 on Dec 15, 2005, 8:10pm ?   

Kistler has been around for 7 years. It is a family-owned operation. Trey (the owner) is a really nice guy. He and his father helped bring two different rodlines to the masses...Castaway and All Star. Check them out at http://www.kistlerrods.com. 
? Last Edit: Dec 15, 2005, 8:11pm by jcheetam ?

Jeff

Fishing with Jeff Cheetam -- My Fishing Homepage

dowd

? Reply #19 on Dec 15, 2005, 8:58pm ?   

I used Kistlers in shore spinning rods I believe the Speck and Red series, unbelievable action for smallies on tubes. Also have a few in shore casting rods. Their drop shot rods is great.
I use St. croix for my flippin stick, and st croix premiums for crankin. Didn't really care for the Kistler LTa series, bought 2 for 100.00 bucks a piece and sold both for 150.00 each. They do resell quickly. 

djkimmel
Administrator

? Reply #20 on Dec 15, 2005, 10:26pm ?   

Dec 15, 2005, 5:39pm, dartag wrote:
maybe Dan will give me a couple or All Stars for all the traffic on the site today...

Not in the budget just yet. Working on it. The new forum will be the next major step in the plan.

But I do appreciate it very much if that counts....   
djkimmel@aol.com
http://www.greatlakesbass.com

PoorBoy
Bass Champion

? Reply #21 on Yesterday at 8:47am ?   

Dec 15, 2005, 5:39pm, dartag wrote:hey poor boy how do you get the 20% discount for ABA members.. i have been with them a couple of years..
i checked out there site.. i will mention your name if i order some.

Go to the www.americanbassanglers.com and click on the Airrus A team link. It tells you how to do it in there.

And i would be more than happy to meet up with you and show you the rods. It sucks that we have hard water now and you wont get a chance to really use them but at least you can get them in your hand and get a feel for them. Let me know. I dont have much going on these days since the weather has frozen the precious ( kent lake ) Oh the precious, must.......have.......the....p...pr....precious

PoorBoy himself   

dartag

? Reply #22 on Yesterday at 8:58am ?   

poorboy

thanks for the offer.. not going to buy until spring, got to launder some money this winter. have to get with ya when the lakes thaw.. going to fish the ABA at kent in may.. so i will be spending some time there.. i live on Union Lake and about may 1st the smallies get on the beds. now it will be legal to play with them...going to be fun to fish without looking over my shoulder..

see ya

ss

dowd

? Reply #23 on Yesterday at 5:26pm ?   

I need to become a better fisherman, rod companies giving away free rods! Man what a deal! Some Day, Some Day............ 

PoorBoy
Bass Champion

? Reply #24 on Yesterday at 5:50pm ?   

Dowd,

You dont have to be a good fisherman to obtain a working relationship with a rod ( or any other ) company in which you get free or discounted product. Im living proof.

But with the help and mentoring of some good friends, i have learned to market myself well enough to different companies to earn there trust, faith, and support. I work hard for them and in return am rewarded.

Its all about people skills. And you have to be eager. I dont take fishing as a hobby. And thats not saying that i am trying to go be a pro on tv. But i would ultimatly like to have a full time paying job in this industry. So i dabble in a little bit of everything and enjoy myself at the same time.

If you are looking for a pro staff position with a rod company, i know a few that are looking for staffers. I dont know whether you will get free product of just discounted product but i would be happy to point you in the right direction if you would like. All i ask for in exchange is you erie waypoints  just kidding.

PoorBoy himself   

dowd

? Reply #25 on Yesterday at 8:36pm ?   

I didn't mean that as a jab at you. I understand the business end of it, I just wish not to be a salesman. I would like to try out the Airrus lines. I have tried one out this past fall and like it the little I fished with it. 

hooksetter

? Reply #26 on Yesterday at 10:50pm ?   

I couldn't help but notice that no one is talking up Loomis rods in this discussion. Is there a problem with them that I should be aware of? I've been using them for the last five years and in my humble opinion there is not a better rod to be found. In all honesty the only other quality rods I've used are All Stars and Quantums but in my opinion they fall short compared to Loomis. Just my two cents worth.   

MBell

? Reply #27 on Yesterday at 11:35pm ?   

Loomis's seem to have a reputation as being expensive, I've also heard some complaining since shimano bought them. It's a good question, I thought someone would be using them. Maybe they are just not as popular in our region for what ever reason. I have a freind who fishes loomis's and st. croix, everytime he shows me a rod he likes it's a st. croix.

Yesterday at 8:36pm, dowd wrote:I didn't mean that as a jab at you. I understand the business end of it, I just wish not to be a salesman. I would like to try out the Airrus lines. I have tried one out this past fall and like it the little I fished with it.

I hear you on the salesman thing, very tough industry to make a living in.
-Matt 

hooksetter

? Reply #28 on Today at 7:34am ?   

In case anybody was wondering, I was NOT knocking All Star or Quantum rods. They are excellant rods and they are still in the family. I gave them to my son-in-law and he loves them. I just noticed that my catch rate and my tournament success rate increased significantly after I started using Loomis rods. I know that other factors, such as more experience and knowledge about catching bass helped, but I think the Loomis rods were a huge part of it.
As far as the cost, yes they are expensive. I'm fortunate that my wife and daughters are extremely supportive of my addiction, I mean my love, for bass fishing and get me gift cards for Christmas, my birthday, etc. so I can get them. I didn't get them all at once, it has taken me five years to aquire my arsenal. Combined with Shimano Chronarchs and Stradic Mgs, for me it doesn't get any better. 

dartag

? Reply #29 on Today at 8:05am ?   

loomis rods are awsome. i used a GLX while in the last everstart. the boater i was with is on there program and had a boat full.. they are out of my price range..

ss

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

jcheetam

? Reply #30 on Today at 11:28am ?   

Loomis rods set the standard by which every rod manufacturer's product is judged. Go to any forum on the Net and you will see guys asking questions like "How does the *insert rod name here* compare to a GL3 or IMX or GLX?". Without a doubt, your equipment can increase your catch rate on the water, but honestly, I think your confidence in your equipment will increase your catch rate even more, regardless of the brand of rod, reel, lure or line you use. 

Jeff

Fishing with Jeff Cheetam -- My Fishing Homepage

Cheetam

Don't mind me...I'm just trying out the new board...:)
Jeff

djkimmel

HEY! I think you should get some kind of reward for first to post on the new board (I don't count)?!?

Now I just have to figure out what that should be... ;D

dartag

looks like i made to to the new board also...

now can you make the snow & ice melt

Cheetam

Quote from: djkimmel on December 17, 2005, 11:51:27 PM
HEY! I think you should get some kind of reward for first to post on the new board (I don't count)?!?

Now I just have to figure out what that should be... ;D

How about a plaque that reads: "For your dedication to staying home on Saturday nights surfing Web boards, Dan Kimmel awards you the Couch Potato award.."  :D
Jeff

djkimmel

Shoot! I can do that under the budget I have now!!!  ;)

5alive

I have really been impressed with the new products from Quantum. The PT's need a little more backbone, but have in my opinion, as goods as feel as any rod out there. Medium action 7' spinning is a great drop-shot rod and any med-heavy is a good tube/worm rod. Match these up with PT reels and you've got a great combo, that's not too much $$$$. I have been using these for a few years and have really seen the quality improve.
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

joshimoto son

I agree with you 5alive,

For everything I order in a Quantum rod, I order a half a step up in "backbone".
I think I'm going to have to get with Poorboy sometime and try out some of his brand.
A friend of mine has been on the Quantum VIP program for the last 4 or 5 years.
He lets me buy 3-4 pieces a year off of it for a discounted price.
I think PT rods for around $80
and PT reels... depending on what type... $60 - $90.
For as sensitive as they are, I've boat flipped quite a few fish I probably wouldn't get away with on other rods.

MadWags

Try Grandt Rods. They have a Unconditional Lifetime Warranty. You can check them out at the Ultimate Fishing Show January 12-15th
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

yukonjack2

I have a mixed bag of rods - my $0.02 worth -

My BPs stuff - has a short lifespan, sensitivity/wieght is ok, but they keep breaking on me - not sure why.  been thru a bunch of Bionic blades, down to the last two or so - upgraded to an extreme, and its ok as well so far - A little big in the blank and heavy for a 7' MH.   The Gem in the BPS line is the Pro qualifier -  really nice backbone, and super light - for about $120 its a deal.  Also, the woo daves crankbait rod has a nice soft action for about $60.  Also, the weight balancing kit really makes a difference in fatigue being out there all day.

I have 2 Rogue rods which I really like - 1 6'6 spinning MH, and 1 6'6 MH casting - these have been warriors for me the past 4 years or so with no issues - I really like the backbone for the blank diameter.

I have been upgrading to loomis bronzebacks - 6'9" MH  spinning makes an awesome tube rod for the big water - really has great sensitivity and backbone.  Like everyone previously mentioned - a little on the pricey side, but I think worth it.

I am looking for 2 additional rods - a frog rod - boadrs say there is a great Diawa rod for about $129 vs the loomis - not sure sensitivity on a flipping rod is critical.   Alsoi looking for a light weight jerkbait rod - was going to get another pro qualifier, but was sent over to castaway - I would suggest checking those out as well - I should have one by the time the ice melts.

hope that helps!

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them