Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

First time out questions

Started by acummins, August 03, 2014, 02:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acummins

We'll I would like to get on st Clair for the first time. Kind of hesitant tho. Been told my boat not big water boat and if I do watch for the waves. I'm sure my boat can handle it. I have a 96 skeeter zx190. What I'm wondering is what day of the week and what to look for in weather. How much wind is to much? 

Jay-MadWags

I would go during the week when the boat traffic is at its lowest.  Harley Ensign is a zoo on the weekends.  As far as wind goes nothing above 15 mph.  West winds are the best so u can fish the miles roads and hug the shoreline.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Firefighter Jeff

I'm assuming from the model number it's a 19 foot boat.  That's plenty big enough for big water.  Maybe not the really rough days but who wants to fish those days if you don't have to anyway !!!   I ran a 17 foot stratos with a 115 on St. Clair and Erie years ago.  You just have to pic your days and play the wind direction. Good luck  !!!

Skulley

I own a 19 foot Champion. I go out there all the time. Both Jeff and Jay have told you what I would tell you. So I don't really have to tell you much more. I will tell you to watch the NOAA Website for weather and of course the weather buoys for wind and waves. Conditions change rapidly out there at times so stay alert. Have fun and be safe.

BD.                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

acummins

Thanks guys. Now my other question is there a map out that has hazards. I will be fishing just michigan waters. Mostl likely the mile roads

Jay-MadWags

Quote from: acummins on August 05, 2014, 11:48:48 AM
Thanks guys. Now my other question is there a map out that has hazards. I will be fishing just michigan waters. Mostl likely the mile roads

Not a lot of hazards out there to worry about.  I have a navionics chip in my bird that tells me where everything is at.  A fishing hot spots paper map will do just fine.

Good luck.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Got Fish??

I have a 16ft pro-deep v  bass tracker. Just pick your days. Get a good map of the lake. The mile roads are a good place to start. There are several public and privet boat ramps, in that area.

t-bone

Nothing to worry about at the mile roads - run a couple hundred yards from shore and you'll be deep enough, wider on the points.
Pick a weekday and go - not much traffic on early morning week days. Don't go out if the wind is more than 20 mph and not out of the west. If it is coming out of the west, the shore will protect you and not allow for large waves to build up.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

acummins

Thanks guys. Now just got find em. When I get out I will post a update of how it went. Again thanks guys.

Rangerman

Good fishing and safety investment is a good VHF radio with Weather Watch ;D Just turn it on as set on Channel 16(as required by Federal Law if you have a VHF) with weather watch on and you will get a head up PDQ on Alerts etc in the area. Great for any big water fishing. I has helped me a few times local here in NC and SC and LSC. Very good investment. A good hand held with 5 watt can be purchased for under $200 ;D It does work great calling for HELP if needed ::) ::)