Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Channels

Started by red68prostreet, July 29, 2014, 01:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red68prostreet

I have seen zero reports this yr on if the channels are producing fish yet. Does anyone have an update? Was thinking of going out this fri to try them.

Skulley

Haven't seen them probably because they really don't turn on unless the weatherman can string together a few 90 degree days in a row.  If you're going there Friday, post a report and let us know what's going on up there.  I was planning on going there Saturday, but I am fishing a tournament Saturday instead.  Maybe next week.

BD                 ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

red68prostreet

BD,
      I did as you suggested despite being told numerous times that the water was not warm enough for the channels. My buddies and I tried for approx. 2 hrs drifting. Zip, nada, nothing except a few lost rigs stuck on the bottom. Tried several areas of the lake that have produced in the past and in 5 hrs only caught 3 fish. Not a good day for our group. All in all it was still fun to get out.
       At the ramp talked with two guys who has been perch fishing. They quit because they could not keep the smallies off their hooks. Great! I have all the latest and greatest in tackle and lures and they were using a $3 box of worms, LOL. That's the way it goes. One important note they mentioned was they were fishing the mouth of the channel. If the smallies are following their meals could a warm up turn the channels on?
        Tight lines!!

Golden Ghost

Quote from: red68prostreet on August 02, 2014, 08:04:14 AM
BD,
      I did as you suggested despite being told numerous times that the water was not warm enough for the channels. My buddies and I tried for approx. 2 hrs drifting. Zip, nada, nothing except a few lost rigs stuck on the bottom. Tried several areas of the lake that have produced in the past and in 5 hrs only caught 3 fish. Not a good day for our group. All in all it was still fun to get out.
       At the ramp talked with two guys who has been perch fishing. They quit because they could not keep the smallies off their hooks. Great! I have all the latest and greatest in tackle and lures and they were using a $3 box of worms, LOL. That's the way it goes. One important note they mentioned was they were fishing the mouth of the channel. If the smallies are following their meals could a warm up turn the channels on?
        Tight lines!!

PM sent

Skulley

Sounds like the fish are staging up to come into the channels. Some warm days strung together will get them up there. I'm hoping to get there next weekend either Sunday or Monday. Hopefully the weather will get warm enough on consecutive days to get them up there and active. I will post a report if I get there.

BD.                             ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

Are you talking about north channel, middle, etc. or the canals?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Skulley

Good point Dan.........but I am generalizing so I'm talking about all of them. I have areas in each channel where I can gauge migration and how far if at all they are even up there very far from St. Clair. But then how far down from Huron have the fish come. But then you have to take into account resident fish and how they are moving. Those fish can spawn in Fisher or Muscamoot and then head right back up the river. I don't have any conclusive data that any of the channels turn on any sooner than any of the others. But I would probably start in the South Channel right now. This year so far because we are experiencing a "spring all summer long" year, I would tend to spend the limited time I have at the mouths of the channels or start fishing the Lower Detroit River. Usually in years like this, the Detroit River starts early. At that point I have abandoned St. Clair and gone to Erie instead depending on weather patterns and how they can change. We have had some unseasonably cool nights this year. But if you still have your infatuation for St. Clair, go out on the Mile Roads in 16 fow and drag drop shots and tubes. I hear they're killing 'em out there.  :o

BD.                           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

WayneC

The St. Clair River and the Channels are in a constant state of change. From what I've seen we are about a week behind normal. Normal in the river has been pretty weak the last few years though. I was just up there and found three pound class smallies in 30 feet of water and ended up getting one over five on some shallow structure (you can see that on www.basstothefuture.com). Only two out of eight spots really worked out so there is some hunting involved.