Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Detroit River

Started by chris188vx, July 02, 2014, 01:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris188vx

I have a grand total of 3 hours experience on Detroit River out of Elizabeth Park. I keep hearing and reading about how there is hardly any tournament pressure on the river. Is there smallmouth to catch in the river, or primarily largemouth? Looking at navigation charts and google earth, it seems like there is an endless number of spots that would hold fish, both LMB & SMB.

I was up there for 3 hours on Memorial Day weekend, and kinda of got side tracked looking for bass, when we started catching silvers on every cast.

fiker

The river can be good for both Large mouth and small mouth.  They hold  in different locations depending on the time of year.  Large mouth tend to stay in the river more.  Smallies can migrate out to the lake in summer and come back in the fall. 

Like any river looking for current breaks, neck down areas and structure are 3 of the keys.  Locating bait fish is also.  The bass follow the bait around in the course of the year. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Skulley

There are both LM and SM in the river. The LM inhabit the backwater areas but will move out of those areas in the fall to some areas of the main channels. SM reside in the river year 'round. Not all migrate to the main lake. Mama juju reef holds smallies all year just to name one. Fighting island has resident smallies all year round all around the island to name another area in the river. Both areas are relatively close to each other. Quite a few SM and LM are caught in the Trenton Channel.

BD.                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

chris188vx

I appreciate the feedback and info.

Are there backwater areas that you are not allowed to go? I noticed on the backside of an island that is northwest of Calf Island, the nav charts indicate that there is a fence or something that runs thru that area. Or is it pretty much you can go wherever you can get your boat in?

markgoetsch

If you can get in there it's fair game.

Skulley

Quote from: markgoetsch on July 03, 2014, 12:20:51 PM
If you can get in there it's fair game.

Yeah, what he said.

BD.                               ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mojo

I am proud of our GLB community, great job helping out guys ! Peche island only holds tx quality fish in spring and fall, but the shores on both sides at the mouths of both the Erie and St clair lakes will always hold them. Look for breaks and shallow flats next to deep current...... Especially on the fronts and backs of islands.... But you need to get more than 3 hours on the lake........ Like an ol friends says, you cannot beat time on the water, it's the magic when you find y our own spots, what's holding them, and when you can come back  ;D
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

chris188vx

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice and info. Will be up there for 2 1/2 days this coming weekend. I will try and get a report posted next week. I'm going to spend a few hours checking out the river ( I hear the LM act like they haven't ever seen a jig before) ;D, and then head out to the lake and try and get on some smalljaws.