Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

It always amazes me....

Started by Waterfoul, June 17, 2014, 05:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Most of you know where I work.  It just amazes me the number of men who come in my store for spark plugs or filters or what ever for their motor and have NO IDEA what they have in/on their boat! 

Customer:  "Yeah, it's black... I think around 150 or 200 horsepower.  What spark plug do I need and how many?"

Me:  Do you know what year it is?

Customer:  "Well I think the boat is a 1999.  Can you look up what my boat should have on it?"

Yes, I got that question today.  From a bassboat guy.

Help us retailers out guys... know your motor!!  We are not great prognasticators and I cannot cojur up your recent memories to see the motor thru your eyes.

Please and thank you.   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Manxfishing

Look at it this way
At least they trust you

I'd say
Take the guys credit info, Have hime call you back with a ser. # or info
And then mail him the plugs or have him pick them up at a later date.

it's only a problem if you let it be a problem

Skulley

Quote from: Waterfoul on June 17, 2014, 05:34:24 PM
Most of you know where I work.  It just amazes me the number of men who come in my store for spark plugs or filters or what ever for their motor and have NO IDEA what they have in/on their boat! 

Customer:  "Yeah, it's black... I think around 150 or 200 horsepower.  What spark plug do I need and how many?"

Me:  Do you know what year it is?

Customer:  "Well I think the boat is a 1999.  Can you look up what my boat should have on it?"

Yes, I got that question today.  From a bassboat guy.

Help us retailers out guys... know your motor!!  We are not great prognasticators and I cannot cojur up your recent memories to see the motor thru your eyes.

Please and thank you.   ;D

You think that people would know what they need when going to buy components for their boats.  When it comes to spark plugs, the model number is on the ceramic in most cases.  You should be able to lift the hood, read the number, write it down, take it to your local boat dealer that would sell that particular plug.  I definitely see your point Waterfoul.

Quote from: Manxfishing on June 17, 2014, 06:57:34 PM
Look at it this way
At least they trust you

I'd say
Take the guys credit info, Have hime call you back with a ser. # or info
And then mail him the plugs or have him pick them up at a later date.

it's only a problem if you let it be a problem

I get this reasoning as well.  Waterfoul, as the retailer, you want the customer to always come back so for you to go the extra mile will always keep them coming back but I'm sure that I don't have to tell you this.  Manxfishing is right about trust.  The rest of his advice is pretty sound, however I do get the frustration of the retailer in this case Waterfoul.  And I agree with not making it more of an issue than it already is.  The customer in this case is lazy.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.  Lazy......or he didn't think of finding out what components model numbers are when shopping for these items.  I want to make it as easy as possible for me and for the retailer.  Easy is good.  Your customer obviously isn't the "sharpest tool in the shed."  But you do want his return business and any other business he can send your way.  Frustration is a difficult thing to master or control.  We all get frustrated from one time to another.  I get mostly frustrated with my kids and their narrow attention span and it's not even the attention span but the fact that they think they know everything already.  Teenagers............what can I say.

BD                                   ;D

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Waterfoul

We cannot write down a customers credit card number.  Against company policy, and I don't know about any of you but I don't think I want anyone to write down my credit card number.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

tim4081

I've worked as a retail manager for many years and it never ceases to amaze me how many people are like this.  I've actually had people who can't even tell if their range is gas or electric let alone the model number of their lawn mower.

My company will take phone orders but personally i would never do that as you never know if someone's going to write down your card number and use it themselves.

On the other hand we also get people who are so paranoid that they won't even give their name or phone number for us to register their purchase.  I had one a couple weeks ago who didn't want to give his address but wanted his item delivered...... huh?!?!

YpsiBass

I'm a bass boat guy. I can tell you what the model number is, but everything under the hood is so very, very confusing to me.  Like I had no idea that evinrude motors should have champion spark plugs in them rather than NGK.  I don't know what goes with what.  I can kind of see where the guy is coming from.  Most things on my boat I refer to as thingies still.

Dan

So much for bass boats as important as they may be, but I found many dads that had no idea what their child's teacher's name was or is.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

t-bone

I just got a boat with an Evinrude Etec engine - I went to buy Oil at Wilson Marine and asked what the best oil to buy for the engine would be and they said "will it depends on what the engine is programmed for". I said "and how do I know that"? I resolved this by getting a hold of the previous owner on the cell but I was also thinking that the companies are making this a bit complicated too. I can't just go in an buy an oil for an Etec - I have to buy the XD100, not the 50 or 30.

Quote from: YpsiBass on June 18, 2014, 08:13:06 AM
I'm a bass boat guy. I can tell you what the model number is, but everything under the hood is so very, very confusing to me.  Like I had no idea that evinrude motors should have champion spark plugs in them rather than NGK.  I don't know what goes with what.  I can kind of see where the guy is coming from.  Most things on my boat I refer to as thingies still.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

TimH

In high school I worked at a plumbing supply store.  People would come in every weekend needing a replacement stem for a shower or a faucet, but not bring in anything.  No part, no information, no brand, nothing.  When they found out I needed that information to help them, I would get "well, its chrome and has three handles."  Or I would get the response of "just give me a standard one, I'm sure it will fit."  99% of the time, people who did this had to come back to the store, but at least from that point on, they new what it actually was that they needed

Jmeis

Mike, I could only wish we had CS I  the Holland store. I went in yesterday even th ough I had sworn off doing that years ago. My visit yesterday reinforced my previous beliefs.
Triton TX 21 Bass Master Classic 225 OPTI
It costs extra to be STUPID!

djkimmel

I wish people (and phones and computers) could read my mind... I know other people wish I could do that!! ;D I know sometimes I know EXACTLY what I need when I leave home... but by the time I get to the store... it might not even be the store I left home originally to go to in the first place...!?! I think it might be aliens... or scientology...?? something like that - to blame. (I apologize to any scientologists... please don't send Cruise or Travolta to get me - unless they like bass fishing!)

I would just look at those customers as revenue enhancement opportunities (if that is what you're in to?)... 'Sir, you better buy all 3 of these just to make sure you have the right [size, weight, bend, blend, etc...]' :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Just shows that anyone can buy a boat.  Some are more aware of what they bought and others know where the key goes.  LOLOL

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: t-bone on June 18, 2014, 12:40:46 PM
I just got a boat with an Evinrude Etec engine - I went to buy Oil at Wilson Marine and asked what the best oil to buy for the engine would be and they said "will it depends on what the engine is programmed for". I said "and how do I know that"? I resolved this by getting a hold of the previous owner on the cell but I was also thinking that the companies are making this a bit complicated too. I can't just go in an buy an oil for an Etec - I have to buy the XD100, not the 50 or 30.

Mine's set up for XD50

djkimmel

Sometimes the key goes in the wrong place... ::)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

Quote from: djkimmel on June 22, 2014, 05:41:53 PM
Sometimes the key goes in the wrong place... ::)

Like the side of a highway attached to a towel?

Frank-o

QuoteJust shows that anyone can buy a boat.  Some are more aware of what they bought and others know where the key goes.  LOLOL

Key ?!?!?
My Ranger didn't come with a key !! (groan)
Waterfoul ? Help ??

lol