Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:33:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2014 Tips-Up for Troops Tournament at Kent Lake

Started by Frank-o, June 03, 2014, 06:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank-o

We are still in need of some boats for the 8th Annual "Tips-Up for Troops" bass tournament. June 7th, Saturday, at Kensington Metropark Possum Hollow (East Park Pavilion.) Hope you can make it. Give a call to Major Rick Briggs for more information if needed. (810) 229-5880.

TAKE A VET FISHING

From Rick Briggs:
"Congratulations on playing a critical role in the 8th Annual Tips-Up for Troops event this Saturday. We welcome all our Veterans and say Thank-You for your service and sacrifice and to our Pros, thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help make this event special for our participants. If you have any questions after reading all of this, please give me a call at (810) 229-5880. For the day of the event, my cell is (810) 908-1901 though reception is usually poor at Possum Hollow.

Things to bring:

Pros: Please bring your sense of humor and plan on providing your Veteran with a life vest, and all fishing equipment and lures, as well as instruction if needed. Some Vets may have equipment and if you do not have quality rods for them to use please let the staff know at check in so they can get a Vet onto your boat that brought his own equipment.

Veterans: Please bring your sense of humor, your lucky fishing hat (required to catch fish), sunscreen, sunglasses (polarized preferred), and rain gear (or snow suit as needed.)

We will fish rain or shine, though thunderstorms and tornados will delay or cancel the fishing tournament.

About the fishing tournament: This is a Pro/AM team event with a 5 fish 14" limit largemouth and smallmouth bass tournament. There is a drive by weigh-in show, please try to be ready to drive up to the stage and expedite the process. Do not stop to answer questions or talk to folks until after you have weighed in, we do not want to stress the fish more than necessary. There are water holding tanks for stressed fish which will be manned by volunteers behind the stage. Turn over the fish needing help over to them and move your vehicle into the parking area out back quickly. The fish release truck crew will return healthy fish back into the lake. Paul Sacks or Paul Wagner, Tournament Directors, will provide a briefing at the West Boat launch before the slow blast off.

There are no prizes for the Pros though there have been rumors of a $1 bet floating around for years. Veterans are fishing for 1st -3rd place and a Big Bass trophy. The Air Force usually represents well, but sometimes the Army, Coast Guard, Navy or Marines sneak a good sack of fish in. (Just joking, ... normally the Air Force kicks tail.) Please find the event schedule information below:

5:30- Set up signs from all three entrances to Possum Hollow - East Park Pavilion: Prepare for:

Goody Bags

Check In (Pros & Vets)

Volunteer Check-in

Vet parking

Pro-Vet pairing

06:00 – 06:45 am – Pros meet Veteran partner at East Park (Possum Hollow) - "Registration"

Pros & Veterans Register at Possum Hollow - East Park Pavilion "Registration Area"

Pros pick up Rules & Boat numbers and team package at "Registration "

Vets pick-up "Goodie Bag" at "Goodie Bag" Table before departing East Park area

Vets leave their vehicles at East Park and ride w/ Pro partner to West Ramp. Families and friends can follow Vets/Pros to launch area if they wish to watch the launch ceremony.

06:30 – 07:15 am - Boat Launch West Ramp Pavilion – (Tips-Up Morning Site)

Volunteers will help launch your boats and run the keys back to you when parked

After launching the boat beach it and come up to the pavilion for a quick meeting             

Start the day off right with a Veteran's Breakfast (coffee and donuts)

Welcome comments by Rick Briggs, BIAMI Veterans Program

Tournament Briefing – BASS Federation Nation – Paul Sacks

Prayer by Military chaplain

07:30 am – Tournament Blast-Off at West Ramp Pavilion

12:30 pm – Boat Check-in 1st Flight Boats 1-10 – Pull boat and go to East Park

12:40 pm – Boat Check-in 2nd Flight Boats 11-20 – Pull boat and go to East Park

12:50 pm – Boat Check-in 3rd Flight Boats 21-29 – Pull boat and go to East Park

"Tips-Up Picnic" – Veterans & Public Events – Play Field East Pavilion

8:00am - Tents - 250 chairs, 30 tables arrive and need to be set up 8:30 – Picnic Volunteer check-in starts

9:00am - MetroPark Stage Set up

09:30 am - Everyone starts "Check-in" at "Tips-Up Picnic Registration"

09:30 am - Raffle Ticket sales starts

10:00am - Check -In for Island Queen II boat Rides depart to boat (Must Register & have QII Boat Ride Bracelet)

10:00am - Fire Department arrives with water for fish

10:00-11:30 am – DJ entertains with "The Classics"

10:00 am -4:30 pm – Farm Center & Nature Centers are available - park schedules apply

11:00 am – Noon – Island Queen Boat Rides (Boat leaves dock at 11:00am be there early)

11:00 am – 3:00 pm – Companion Dogs &Midway Activities

11:00 am – 4:30 pm Midway Open (Activities, Games)

11:00 am – 3:00 pm "Tips-Up for the Troops" Classic Car Show Open

11:30 am – 3:00 pm All American BBQ presented by Eisenhower Center

11:30 am - 1:00 pm – Family Fun Walk

12:45pm Rolling Thunder Flag Line

1:00 pm – 2:30 pm "Tips-Up for the Troops" Weigh-in Show and Event Award Ceremony

3:00pm – Classic Car Show Trophy Presentation

4:30 pm – Event Closes

4:30 – 5:00 pm Site Breakdown and Clean-up (Everyone is welcome to help clean up, thank you)

Thanks again and see you at Possum Hollow at 6:00 am. J Sounds like good weather.

Richard V. Briggs, Jr., Major, U.S.A.F. Retired

Veterans Program, Manager

dartag

Another fantastic event.   Looked like a good turn out with only a couple boats with 3 people.  From the morning meeting where they play " Taps " just before blast off to the trailered weigh-in where you drive through a line of Vets holding American Flags and saluting you it is quite a experience.  Great food and lots of laughs and fish stories at the end.

Winners had 17 pounds with a mix of largemouth and smallmouth. 

Did talk to 1 GLB member but did not get his name.  Looking forward to next year.

Steve Smith
Commerce, Mi

fiker

I"ve gotta get my live wells fixed so that I can do this next year. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Manxfishing

Steve,

I looked for you? But didn't see you
Was a great day to be out on the lake and I picked up a few tips

I did have a great time, Saw a few old friends and found out my boat has a twin in the metro area

TimH

Thank you to everyone who participated in this event.  I am still bummed out I missed this year, but unfortunately we had a wedding in Ohio to be at on Saturday.  When I have participated in Tips Up for Troops in the past, it has been some of the best times I have ever had on the water.