Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Any spawning activity yet?

Started by ACbassassassin, May 12, 2014, 11:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACbassassassin

I was wondering if anyone has noticed any spawning activity yet, more specifically in South East Michigan.

I fished St. Clair over the weekend, and a lot of fish were SHALLOW, but no bedding activity yet. Water temps were touching the 60+ degree range towards the end of the day Sunday, so they should be doing their thing soon.

I was wondering about the inland lakes, has anyone noticed any fish that are locked on yet? I figured with the full moon this week, and the warming water it should start SOON (if it hasn't already.)

Eric

There were fish on beds on Gun Lake as of yesterday afternoon.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

TimH

with the water temps were they are and the moon phase we are currently in, I would bet this weekend or early next week you should really start seeing them up on beds.

djkimmel

I think there were some bass making beds on St. Clair Saturday but it was hard to see for sure.

There have been bass on beds on small lakes and ponds around Lansing for up to 2 weeks now.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ACbassassassin

Thanks everybody for the replies!

FOB

On the beds at Portage in Pinckney!
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

fiker

Some.  And today some of those beds were empty.  I think the cold front made em drop back off a tad.  Water temp in the canals at Portage were 66* today.  Main lake was 64*.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

TCook

I have been fishing smallies on beds in Lake Michigan connected waters since catch and release opened, now the majority are guarding fry in the areas I am fishing. The largemouth here on larger inland lakes are close but not there yet but the smallies are spawning. The largemouth on small lakes are peaking and I have been picking them off the last week.  I have only been able to gather this information from checking reliable areas from shore but the numerous places i check tell me what I need to know.
FISH HARD!!!

ACbassassassin

I hope I'm not too late for the smallies on some of the local bodies of water in SE michigan... :-\'

Dan

This full moon is pushing some up on the beds in the latitude around Manistee. I saw three small largemouth on beds on our little lake. I suspect that they will be gone soon though with the cold weather we are expecting. Calling for rain/snow mix by Friday. I have not heard from any locals that they have seen any spawning smallmouth. The lakeshore lakes up here are reliably June 10 through 20. Went out of Manistee yesterday and caught a few browns. It has been the best brown trout fishing in 20 years according to one of my local friends.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

gmetime24

Quote from: TCook on May 14, 2014, 11:44:55 PM
I have been fishing smallies on beds in Lake Michigan connected waters since catch and release opened, now the majority are guarding fry in the areas I am fishing. The largemouth here on larger inland lakes are close but not there yet but the smallies are spawning. The largemouth on small lakes are peaking and I have been picking them off the last week.  I have only been able to gather this information from checking reliable areas from shore but the numerous places i check tell me what I need to know.

What area of the state are these smallies on beds??

FISH21

Fished an inland lake in SE michigan yesterday. There were smallies on beds everywhere, lots of empty beds too. Didn't see as many largies on beds. Water temp 62-63.

ACbassassassin

Quote from: FISH21 on May 15, 2014, 11:55:29 AM
Fished an inland lake in SE michigan yesterday. There were smallies on beds everywhere, lots of empty beds too. Didn't see as many largies on beds. Water temp 62-63.

Think the beds were vacated because of weather or because they were done doing their thing?

djkimmel

I saw some bedfishing reports going on on Muskegon. Lots of inland reports from Southern Michigan up into the mid-Central part of the state. I expect our cold winter is going to give us several waves of extended spawning this year. But... the bass don't read so we'll just have to find out.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

Quote from: gmetime24 on May 15, 2014, 11:28:07 AM
Quote from: TCook on May 14, 2014, 11:44:55 PM
I have been fishing smallies on beds in Lake Michigan connected waters since catch and release opened, now the majority are guarding fry in the areas I am fishing. The largemouth here on larger inland lakes are close but not there yet but the smallies are spawning. The largemouth on small lakes are peaking and I have been picking them off the last week.  I have only been able to gather this information from checking reliable areas from shore but the numerous places i check tell me what I need to know.

What area of the state are these smallies on beds??

The harbors in southwest Michigan. They are close to being done, already multiple waves have came in to spawn and mostly fry guarders are left. Hopefully the full moon brings in another wave in from the big lake. I have been getting 18-20 pound bags every time I hit my areas and I am fishing different fish just about every time I hit these spots. Its been really good this year thankfully since I have only fished from shore outside of a complete bust of a trip to st clair. Working weekends blows!
FISH HARD!!!

gmetime24

Sounds like a blast Tcook!! I'm hoping the saginaw bay and Lake Huron areas start heating up soon

robhj

I'll be fishing Long & Grand Lakes in Alpena next weekend. Last year at this time the smallies were in full spawn mode but as far as I know my brother who fishes up there regularly hasn't seen any fish moving up. A lot can happen in a week for sure. Hopefully we'll be in prespawn mode up there next week. I have no problem fishing beds, but would prefer fishing a tourney before the main spawning push of fish. I'll be up in Ludington & Manistee this weekend & will post a report on water temps & spawning activity.