Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:02:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

X-Tool Cull System Modification

Started by Langer, April 11, 2007, 05:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langer

The very few times I have had to use my X-tool Cull system the clips havent held worth a ****. So I Made up two different solutions for fixing this problem. I just bought a chain creel from Gander Mountain, took off the clips and added them to the X-tool bouy.

Option A: I just took off the existing clip and add the new clip

Option B: I cut it down to be alot smaller and easier to store.

Let me know which one you would you would think is better?

Thanks

Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

TCook

Bad timing for me with the Xtool culling system I just bought it yesterday, and was wondering if those clips would hold. Well now I know, I will have to modify them as well. What about the Xtool scale? I was going to get that too but held off until I know its a quality scale. That clip on the scale looks like it will need to be replaced also, I dont see that thing holding a feisty bass. Other than that I like all the features on it, what scale do you guys use?

T
FISH HARD!!!

blakstr1

the scale works good, in fact so good there is one swimming around with a huge pike up on Wixom Lake...(Savage got slimy fingers)  the clips are bad though, smallies throw them in a heartbeat.  In fact I saw one of the anglers on the FLW tour do a modification similar to Langer..with that mod it will be a good system, because you can actually get a hold of the xtool buoys.  Good Job Langer   ;)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Cy

I think the longer buoy makes more sense.  This way the fish can lay on the bottom of the live well and the marker will be at or near the surface.  I think the longer one will be easier to get you hands on in the live well.

My $.02.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

BASS FISHERMAN

so thems xtools fish floots are junk  >:( >:( >:(
i sorrie thay not wurth beans fur yous butt i glad yous fix um up bettur thans befour  ;) ;) ;)
maybee sumeone shood call peepull up at xtools an gives thems hell bout thay junk klips on thar  ;) ;) ;)
i wondur ifin thay pinchurs are anna bettur  ??? ??? ???
ben thinkin bout buyin a pair of thay pinchurs fur gittin the spinners bait hooks out of thoose nice ones i gets  ;D ;D ;D

:-* :-* :-* RANGERS BOAT RULE  :-* :-* :-*
i juss moves neer Belding on M-44 in Michigan USA
an verrie proud of it

Revtro

Last year I did the Option A mod to mine.  The longer ones are easier to grab and make it much easier for the fish to stay down in the livewell.  This is especially important for bass taken from deep water that are already having a difficult time staying down.

Like BASSFISHERMAN, I'm kind of surprised x-cull hasn't addressed this already.  I saw this mod several times on TV tournaments over the past couple of years.  Maybe it's time to send 'em an email.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

1javelin

I agree with Cf and Revtro, bigger is better.  I am going to get the BPS version though, cheaper, already has pins, has more buoys incase I lose one, and I don't like the idea of the stiff plastic; won't it stick out of the water or lay funny if the fish is on the top? ???
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Cy

Jav,

If you buy the BPS culling system don't buy this one.  I owen one like this a pile of junk.  Everytime you grab a fish either the chain or chain clip breaks.  It is very frustrating.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74111_100011004_100000000_100011000_100-11-4

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

1javelin

Thanks, that's the one I was going to buy.  I guess I'll just get an X-tools and modify it myself.  Good looking CF
Live to fish, Fish to live.

stackenem

I also had problems with the original clips and went to the option A and have no problems since. The scale seems to work fine as is.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

squid

For the price you paid...I would have called Xtools up and pitched a Biatch.  I do like option A, but now it cost ya more money.  I like my XPS ones...I have no problems with them and easy to stow away

TCook

I am shocked xtool's put out a product that fails as much as everyone claims with the culling system. They must have never tested it on the water, or never put the clip in a fish mouth to see if it would stay.  Does not seem like rocket science, they should be able to come up with something that works in place of those clips.

T
FISH HARD!!!

Langer

I didnt pay that much for mine, I got them off the clearance rack at Gander Mountain last year.

I am going to stick with option A. I got ahead of my self when I was doing it lat night and cut before really thinking about it. As soon as it was off I thought hmm there probably long for a reason. (to be on the top while the fish is on the bottom). So I will have bouys 2-5 with the longer stems and number 1 will be the one I use on my kicker fish, it ought to weigh enough to keep it to the bottom.  ;D

Thanks for the comments.  I think I have 4 or 5 clips left over from the stringer I took apart if anyone is interested in them. I also plan on sharpening the clips so they poke threw the fishes mouth better, and I will probably get some large snap rings and barrel swivels to replace the cheapy swivels from the stringer.
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

Cy

At one point BPS had 2 different systems.  The one I have has painted foam balls on the ends of the chains and the clip is held on with tiny stupid little cheap things.  The other system had painted crankbait lookin' things on the end.  The one I have is junk and it looks the same as the one I posted above.  I would not recommend it.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

TCook

Maybe someone on this site should make a quality culling system and start selling it. Sounds like its hard to find an ideal system without any hassles. Maybe there is some $ to be made since there is no good option out there right now?

T
FISH HARD!!!

Skip Johnson

I liked the concept of not putting more holes in the fish so I bought the X tools when it first came out and it came off 50% of the time so I have been using the bps cull system, I saw the clips added to the X tool while watching the elite series and like the idea I think Im going with option A.
Go Big or Go Home!

Genie

You don't have to put a hole in the fish ... you can run the modified setup "stringer" through the gill open out the jaw.  Just be careful of the gill plates ... no holes, no slip ... works great every time.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

bassindivine

i recently bought the berkley tournament cull-system from bps. i havent had a chance to use it but plan to use it this season in some club tournaments. the clips look kinda flimsy. does anybody have any experience with this system?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=89091&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

MOTOR CITY BASS ANGLERS
www.motorcitybassanglers.com

BASS FISHERMAN

with all of thems bein junk i not no whut to get fur me cullin
setup  ??? ??? ???
one wood thinks yous coold getts a nice cullin bouy frum sumeone out thar  ??? ??? ???
maybee i juss paw round in the life well likes i allways did an lets xtools and bass pro shops keeps thay cullin rings  ;) ;) ;)

:-* :-* :-* STRATOS BOAT RULE  :-* :-* :-*
i juss moves neer Belding on M-44 in Michigan USA
an verrie proud of it

Cy

The cool thing about the XTools culling kit that comes with scale, is the scale will track your fish and tell you which one to release.  It keeps track of up to 7 fish.  You don't have to weight them, write it down or try and fish out the small one, it's automatic.  I think it's cool.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net