Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Who caught fish today?

Started by Hollada, April 26, 2014, 08:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollada

Where?  How many? With what?

darn I'm jealous!

I did yard work :-(
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

tim4081

I had to work today but my son went out late afternoon.  First hour or so nothing, but then found a shallow bay where the temp was about 4 degrees warmer than main lake.  By the time he came in he figured over fifty and both his thumbs were raw.  He was fishing Spring Lake.  Most  were dinks but a few two to three pounders. I'll be out tomorrow for sure.

robhj

Felt great to get out and finally chase some smallies. I did manage 15, fishing from 9:30-3:30. Biggest 2 went 4.7 & 4.2, all smallmouth. It was cloudy all day and water temps were 48-50. I thought the water temps would be a few degrees cooler because of the cold spring and recent melting. Last year the water temps were around 54 degrees on this same lake. It was difficult to pick some areas apart with that strong N/NE wind. I threw jerks, lipless cranks, weighted senkos, wiggle wart, & shad rap. Half my fish came on weighed senko & then as the day progressed, the rest of my fish came on a suspending jointed crawdad colored shad rap. I heard LSC was on fire today. Hopefully some of you were able to partake in that early season smallie smack down.

motocross269

I had to work but from early reports it sounds like they did good on LSC...That is good news. ;D

dartag

Well it was interesting.

Fished Kent and the first challenge was getting the boat in the water. Had to back the truck 1/2 way to the I-96 bridge to get the boat off.  Not sure I have seen the water this low this time of year.  Water was stained with about a foot viability. We Caught fish on a rattle trap and square bill. Wind started howling about 10:00 and that didn't help. Caught about a dozen largemouth. Didn't see a smallie all day. Took a while to get the boat back on the trailer in the wind.

Today I will be blade baiting in clear water on my lake.

ss

TheFishinPollock

Can't get out anywhere up here still. Lots of ice still left on the lakes  >:(
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Hollada

Too bad about kent.  I'd have thought they'd have it full by now.

Any one hit lsc?
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

21XDC

Fished St Clair and caught one 4lb LM , one 25 inch pike, one 32 inch musky, and............. 50-60 smallies.. Most in the 2-4 lb range.... All caught on gold 1/2 oz blade baits in 4-7 ft of water 47*-50*. Jesse and I had a ball, But the wind changed direction and we had to go 10 mph to get back to the ramp...  Only took 2 waves over the bow.   :o
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

YpsiBass

Cass was a tough bite.  So. Much. Wind.  Trolling motor batteries were dead by the time we got off the water around 3:30.  Do not like trailering boat in wind.  Yuck.  Caught a couple LM and a decent sized walleye who ended up on my dinner plate. Going somewhere next weekend, but not sure where yet. 

Hollada

Xdc- great job on the smb.  Did you use jerkbaits at all or was it too dirty?  Sounds like blades were the ticket.   Were you jigging the blades aggressively or was it a light touch?

I'm getting out next weekend finally.  Saturday on LSc for smallies and Sunday on the upper DR for some fryer food. Yum.

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

21XDC

The key to fishing blades in cold water, Is to lift them off the bottom as slow as you can, yet making them vibrate. Lifting them to let them only vibrate 3-4 times. Then gently set them back down. All fish in cold water are sluggish, including baitfish. Making the blade sluggish is golden.  So when you think your working it slow enough, slow down some more.

Make sure you try and feel the bait crash on the bottom... The bites feel even less than that. Hook sets are easy and free...

To me, This technique blows away the jerkbait. In the wind and waves, the blade has no competition casting or feeling.. I'm a darn good jig fisherman, and this is basically the same feel for colder water.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Mike S.

I spent 3.5 hours on Mona Lake with my dad last night. I caught 4 smallies, none over 3 pounds, and a 4.5 pound largemouth. Dad got 2 small pike, 1 largemouth, and 6 smallies. All were under 3 pounds.

Water temp was 55. All fish were caught in less than 8 feet of water on a jerkbait and a swim bait.   

mikesmiph

I didn't have a boat to ride in, so no fishing for me.

Grinny

I wasn't able to get out yesterday, but managed to get out for a few hours today on the Thornapple. Landed around a dozen, mainly smallmouths but I did get 2 largemouths and about a 20 pound carp! I caught them on blade baits, tubes, and soft plastics. The biggest smallies were just under 3 pounds, and most the fish were barfing up crayfish on their way to the boat. The carp hit a 1/2 ounce silver blade in about 13 FOW...that was a first.

bassmandan

Quote from: YpsiBass on April 27, 2014, 10:32:52 AM
Cass was a tough bite.  So. Much. Wind.  Trolling motor batteries were dead by the time we got off the water around 3:30.  Do not like trailering boat in wind.  Yuck.  Caught a couple LM and a decent sized walleye who ended up on my dinner plate. Going somewhere next weekend, but not sure where yet. 

i was actually out there today and did ok i guess, we caught 25 smallies and 1 largemouth, 1 pike and a walleye that came home as well
"dont stop keep fishing"

TimH

Hit St. Clair both Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday was good directly behind the Ford House.  At the suggestion of many people here on this site, I finally decided to give blade baits a try.  I'm not sure why I ever hesitated to use them before, but to those who suggested it...thank you, thank you, thank you!  I did extremely well with smallmouth in the 2 - 3lbs range...until another angler decided that he needed to fish 20 yards from me.  It was very frustrating because I got to my spot at 6:15AM and this guy comes flying up at 7:30AM and just takes it over like I wasn't even there.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind sharing waters with other anglers, just don't be close enough to me where I can read the gear ratio stamped on your reel.  What makes it even worse is, I know the guy.  Not real well, but I have fished at least several tournaments against him so we know each other.  Anyways, after a few minutes of fishing with this guy close to me, I decided to move spots instead of get upset.  I ran about three miles down the lake to a break wall area that always produces well for me and this year wasn't any different.  Stayed in this spot for an hour and did well again with the blade bait and lipless cranks.  Decided to switch it up and hit some canals for largemouth and am very glad I did.  In a short period of time I had caught three 4lbs plus largemouth and several 3lbs largemouth by swimming a black and chartreuse chatterbait around docks and seawalls.  Called it a day around 1:00PM
Sunday went back out at 6:00AM and was greeted by a north/northeast wind.  Decided it wasn't worth fighting the wind just to fish heavily stained water for smallies when I could head back to the canals and target green fish.  Went back to the same area and threw nothing but chatterbaits and swim jigs and did extremely well on largemouth with many in the 3 - 4lbs range.  Trolling motor battery started to die out early (think the battery is going bad because it had a full charge on it), so I called it a day around 11:00AM. 
All in all, a good couple days of fishing.  Working both Saturday and Sunday this weekend, so I won't be getting out then, but I am taking off next Monday and am planning on hitting an inland lake...just not sure which one yet.

Hollada

Tim,

Thanks for the report.  Sounds like a great weekend!

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

YpsiBass

Quote from: bassmandan on April 27, 2014, 08:18:42 PM
Quote from: YpsiBass on April 27, 2014, 10:32:52 AM

i was actually out there today and did ok i guess, we caught 25 smallies and 1 largemouth, 1 pike and a walleye that came home as well

What did you catch them on? Wind was so rough on the main lake fishing the drops the only bites I got were back in some bays.

Dave B

I was able to getout saturday afternoon for about 4 hours, fished south end of the detroit river in the bays found 51f water and I got 8 nice largemouth on a jig and bluegill squarebill. It felt good to get out, cant wait to get out on st clair in 2 weeks

bassmandan

caught everything but 1 smallie on jerkbaits, almost everything came from the main lake and it was blowing. i had probably more follows than i caught fish nothing big though, i didnt weigh any of them but im guessing my best was 2 3/4lbs and probably a decent 12lb limit
"dont stop keep fishing"