Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:06:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Michigan DNR Says Earlier Bass Season Good For Michigan

Started by djkimmel, April 17, 2014, 11:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Michigan DNR Says Earlier Bass Season Good For Michigan

At the March 20, 2014 Michigan Senate Outdoor Recreation and Tourism Committee hearing on Senate Bill 869 (SB 869), Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) Legislative Liaison Trevor VanDyke stated the MDNR fully supports eliminating the existing bass season limits from state law because recent science has proven that some of their concerns they have had in the past are no longer as large of a concern. Giving flexibility to the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) to set an earlier season will be good for everyone in Michigan.

Here is the entire MDNR statement from the televised and recorded hearing (MDNR Fisheries Division Chief Jim Dexter was also present as Trevor VanDyke gave the MDNR statement):

Quote"We fully support the legislation that is in front of you today. SB 869 seeks to eliminate the requirement set in statute of what the bass season should be. Recent science has proven that some of these concerns that have had in the past are no longer as large of a concern as what has historically been there, and by eliminating this this allows the flexibility for the Natural Resources Commission to set a season earlier and this we think will be good for everyone in the state to get out there and do a little bass fishing. Also you can see some economic benefits that we've seen with some of the bass tournaments. One that was actually I believe in the Chairs district over the summer in the Muskegon area and it is a great economic boost for some of these local areas when you have such a great tourism, a great recreational sport. They can come in there and use our resources. We fully support this."

After the MDNR's Trevor VanDyke finished their statement, Chairman Senator Hansen asked MDNR Fisheries Chief Jim Dexter if he had anything to add to the MDNR statement. Jim said, "Thank you Senator. No. I think everything has been said. We're all about providing more opportunity for anglers and this would be a great chance to do just that. Pretty simple move for us. Right now, we have about 5 months or so of the year that anglers can't get out there and take advantage of getting on the water to fish for bass and this would provide that opportunity to the Natural Resources Commission to do that.

Senator Hansen asked Chief Dexter, "Now it's my understanding that there are only 4 states out of the 49 that have bass that actually have a closed season?"

Chief Dexter replied, "Yeah, I believe – I think that's right. Four states that have some type of closure. We are one of them."

Read the complete update with further resources such as bill tracking and the Michigan B.A.S.S. Nation statement on GreatLakesBass.com Conservation and Legislation News.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Now, we need the House Natural Resources Committee Chair Representative Andrea LaFontaine to put SB 869 on a committee hearing schedule, get it passed without amendment favorably recommended for immediate effect, and then get SB 869 passed in the House. No schedule on the committee hearing yet.

SB 869 will strip the regular bass season limits from state law opening the door for the Natural Resources Commission to approve a longer bass season for Michigan in 2015.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

this would be implimented , if it passes for the 2015 year?
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

That is the goal. We miss 2015, we might have to wait 2 more years. We don't want to do that.

We have not received the MDNR response back on their ideas or alternatives or whatever they might suggest. I'm hoping we don't lost out on a year-round season for the couple poor reasons that seem to be left. Things are leaning our way more each day.

TheFishinPollock

well this is a much  better response than the one ya got  before . That one was total junk
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Mike S.

Thanks Dan for all of the time you've put in on this for everyone to enjoy the benefits of. I'm glad it's all coming together.

gmetime24

Well done Dan, it's nice to see all your hard work is starting to pay off, we can't thank you enough!!

t-bone

This is awesome news. Lets keep pushing on this! Way to go Dan!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Mini

Dan,

I for one want to personally thank you for all of your hard work and perseverance on this issue.

I think every hotel owner, bass guide, bait shop owner, gas station owner, etc, in this state owes you!

Not to mention all of us folks that reap the recreational benefits from additional fishing opportunities.

Thanks again my friend,

Mini

bob o

Coop

Awesome! Excellent! Great! Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

Redbone

t-bone

Amen to that!

Quote from: Mini on April 18, 2014, 09:33:41 AM
Dan,

I for one want to personally thank you for all of your hard work and perseverance on this issue.

I think every hotel owner, bass guide, bait shop owner, gas station owner, etc, in this state owes you!

Not to mention all of us folks that reap the recreational benefits from additional fishing opportunities.

Thanks again my friend,

Mini
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

Quote from: Coop on April 18, 2014, 10:56:43 AM
Awesome! Excellent! Great! Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?

I sure hope so... I want to go fishing! ;D

djkimmel

Lots of people, individuals, the bass federations, MUCC, groups, government types, upper MDNR staff, etc. etc. have been and are involved.

You know what would be real nice? In a few years if we're all saying remember when we used to not be able to bass fish all year... forgot about that... get the net!

djkimmel

Another good piece of news recently - the Executive Director of the Steelheaders - Dennis Eade told me he can now actively support our bass season proposal too. Biggest membership fishing group in Michigan! We've already worked with them well on public access issues.

Fishmael

Awesome work Dan!  Do we now have to give you a cut of all tournament earnings won outside of what the standard fishing season was?   ;D

Great work though.  We all owe you one.

djkimmel

My 'agent' didn't think of that?!? He's fired!! ;D

Of course, I'd have to split it with a whole bunch of other people and groups anyways...