Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Guys already bass fishing

Started by gmetime24, April 13, 2014, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manxfishing

My thoughts are
For the most part. I don't fish bass early
But there has been a few trips. I just think of it has trophy crappie fishing.

The speeding part
We all know the law, And yes I speed to and from work every day
On the water, It's the same thing. We all know (or should know) the law

Here's the debate that get's brought up (more on the Walleye sites)
If the rule says your allowed 2 days possession of walleye
Are they talking about in the cooler (or being transported) or the house freezer.

djkimmel

It would be the same debate. Follow the law / regulations or don't. It's been shared on here a number of times, and shared all over the Internet in other places - the total possession limit is interpreted as in your boat, in your cooler, in your car/truck/camper, at home in your freezer and everywhere else that you keep fish.

You can't legally have 500 bluegill fillets in your freezer that you caught in Michigan, or 25 filleted walleye in the combination of all the places you store fish you caught in Michigan.

People talk about it all the time. Many seem to believe that is incorrect but all you have to do is ask a Conservation Officer to get the answer above. I see 'experts' sharing their opinions on websites all the time who have obviously never read the Michigan DNR fishing guide let alone spoke with a Conservation Officer or the Lansing office.

Will they raid your home and count your perch fillets? Probably not. Though, if you're selling perch to restaurants and/or someone reports that you're keeping huge numbers of Michigan fish it is possible.

They just reported at the last citizen's fishery committee I attended on busting a ring of anglers up north who were selling sport caught fish to local restaurants.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I just chimed in for the fact that people get caught up in worrying about what the next guy is doing, and trying get to paint the perfect picture, that they forget that they too may break a law here and there as well. Do t take it personal anybody, because I don't really care what the next guy does, as long as he's not hurting me. If you get caught breaking the law, that's on you. I saw so many comments about "I just don't break the law", that I had to chime in.

Good news is, next year we won't have anything to bicker a out other than ice on the lakes when we could be bass fishing.......hopefully.

motocross269

Quote from: djkimmel on April 21, 2014, 08:48:53 PM
It would be the same debate. Follow the law / regulations or don't. It's been shared on here a number of times, and shared all over the Internet in other places - the total possession limit is interpreted as in your boat, in your cooler, in your car/truck/camper, at home in your freezer and everywhere else that you keep fish.

You can't legally have 500 bluegill fillets in your freezer that you caught in Michigan, or 25 filleted walleye in the combination of all the places you store fish you caught in Michigan.

People talk about it all the time. Many seem to believe that is incorrect but all you have to do is ask a Conservation Officer to get the answer above. I see 'experts' sharing their opinions on websites all the time who have obviously never read the Michigan DNR fishing guide let alone spoke with a Conservation Officer or the Lansing office.

Will they raid your home and count your perch fillets? Probably not. Though, if you're selling perch to restaurants and/or someone reports that you're keeping huge numbers of Michigan fish it is possible.

They just reported at the last citizen's fishery committee I attended on busting a ring of anglers up north who were selling sport caught fish to local restaurants.

Last year I saw a post on Craigslist from a guy that was selling filets of smallmouth and Walleye fresh caught from LSC...Guys at LSC.net were all over it and it was off craigslist in a few days...

Those the are the types of guys we as anglers need to band together to hammer.....There just aren't enough LEOs out there so we need to self police to a point....

djkimmel

Mike S. (and everyone else) I always think of the ancient saying of 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'

moto (and everyone else) There will probably never be 'enough' Conservation Officers considering all the things they need to cover. I continue to believe one of the best solutions is to stop trying to regulate fish species with closed seasons when other fish that will hit the same lures are open. The water either has to be completely closed to ALL fishing, OR open to all legal fishing with only the clarification of which fish you can keep and which fish you need to release.

I've been cruising the fishing web the past week or so and seeing the same posts (bickering) I see every winter and spring. I especially love all the 'non-bass' anglers accusing anyone in a 'bass boat' of breaking the law on the Mile Roads KNOWING those persons are making the judgment that IF you're in a 'bass boat' fishing the Mile Roads you're a scummy lawbreaker BUT if you're fishing the EXACT same Mile Roads in a 'non-bass boat' you're 'legally' fishing for open pike, walleye or other open fish - no judgment based on what you're catching or using to fish with half the time either - just based on the 'type' of boat you own.

Man! Am I sick of that... Like I said, guilty by bass boat has to end. I see the exact same thing for years now over pike verses muskie anglers. If people see you out fishing on Lake St. Clair before June 1 and they know you like to muskie fish you're a lawbreaker. If they don't know you like to muskie fish, you can fish the same exact places with the same exact lure and you're a fine, decent upstanding citizen angler.

What a waste of energy and a major way anglers don't help each other when we most need each others help.

Considering we need anglers buying fishing licenses to fund the MDNR I feel the clear choice is to create common sense, non-infighting fishing regulations that make it easier for people to just go fishing. Whenever they can.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Only 3 days to go.  Put my pontoon in yesterday and cruised around.   Saw some fish suspended along the breaks but nothing shallow where they will be in 2 weeks.  water is still cold.

djkimmel

That's enough info to get people that much more excited about opening day! Thanks!

Mike S.

I don't think Muskegon is going to be much fun this opening weekend. It is tore up from the river flooding. I don't know where I'm going to fish yet.

red68prostreet

I got the boat out of my garage last sun and dropped it into Howell lake. I wanted to make sure everything was fine before my annual trip to KY lake on May 1st. I can see both sides of the debate and for me it's simple as many have said. If the law say's I can't fish for bass then I'm not. What i did do on sun was something I have never done in the past. After make sure the boat ran and cking everything else out I spent an hour learning more about my electronics. I spent time learning how to split the screens on my units and cruised around looking for fish. I was actually quite pleased with myself for doing that.
As far as speed goes the older I have gotten my need for speed is not what it was. I do however love KY lake in the early morning and later in the evening. That lake gets smooth as glass and there is plenty of room to stretch a boat out for miles. I get my yearly fix for speed at that time. Many of the inland lakes here are too small or busy to speed. The other thing is I have never been on LSC when it is smooth. The fastest I have ever gone on that lake is 50 mph but then again I only fish it about 10 times a yr.
Good luck to all who venture out this sat. I read the blog about White Lake. I went by the ramp last thurs and cannot believe how small it is. Sat weather looks to be cool.
Mark

Waterfoul

Which White Lake are you refering too?
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

mikesmiph

We were talking about the one in Oakland Co, but now it looks like nobody is going. We have always had lunch at the White Lake Inn, which is on the water.

Mike S.

I was told that our White Lake, in Muskegon county, just lost its ice last a week or so ago. It stayed way longer than Muskegon's did.