Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:10:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

wrapping line around the pole thing

Started by Redbone, April 08, 2014, 06:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbone

Ive seen it several times. Someone is done fishing, they grab the rod and spin it several times and hook it around an eye. Can someone explain this?

fiker

First they hook the hook into the hook keeper if it has one.  If not, the use a guide.  Then they wrap the line around the rod to keep the line from tangling with other rods, and other lines when they lay it down.  It also makes it easier to put the rods into the locker tubes, or even the locker as it keeps things from tangling.

If you get in the habit of doing this all the time you will thank yourself for how much easier life is.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Firefighter Jeff

I've been doing this for 20 years at least.  It is best for when you have to transport your rods in other peoples boats etc.  The rod can actually be bent and the bait and line will not come undone. It's a neat trick I try to show novice anglers.

MSURoss

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on April 12, 2014, 09:45:38 AM
   I've been doing this for 20 years at least.  It is best for when you have to transport your rods in other peoples boats etc.  The rod can actually be bent and the bait and line will not come undone. It's a neat trick I try to show novice anglers.

Guess I am a novice  :o

djkimmel

You can also show it to non-novice anglers...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bob o

while this does work at keeping the rod box from getting too tangled up, this year i broke down and bought a lot of rod gloves and talk about reducing the tangled rod box PIA, now i just need to keep them in ths boat

fiker

I uses the rod gloves as well.  I also use reel covers.  But often during the day I'll just wrap the line around the rod while they are out on the deck.  About the time I don't I wish I had.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Got Fish??

I don't wrap my line, I use mono and don't want to chance nicking or fraing my  line. Idon't use  gloves  ether. I'm careful or I ues rubber bands. I don't pile a lot of rods in  my boat , just what I will be using that trip and only what fits nice in my lockers.six rod and reels is usualy enough. Ieaving room for a  guest's three rod and reels.

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: MSURoss on April 17, 2014, 10:34:08 PM

Guess I am a novice  :o

Did this come up when we fished together last summer Ross ???   I remember mentioning what to do to that sweet beaver.  lolol

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on April 17, 2014, 10:50:21 PM

Ummmm  I guess so Dan.  Didn't mean to insult anyone.  Figured most knew this trick. 

jjjmpv22

MSURoss

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on April 23, 2014, 08:45:03 PM
Quote from: MSURoss on April 17, 2014, 10:34:08 PM
  I've been doing this for 20 years at least.  It is best for when you have to transport your rods in other peoples boats etc.  The rod can actually be bent and the bait and line will not come undone. It's a neat trick I try to show novice anglers.

Guess I am a novice  :o

Did this come up when we fished together last summer Ross ???   I remember mentioning what to do to that sweet beaver.  lolol

Ya you showed me multiple things, including how to lip a dogfish lol!!

djkimmel

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on April 23, 2014, 08:49:24 PM

Ummmm  I guess so Dan.  Didn't mean to insult anyone.  Figured most knew this trick. 

I don't think you insulted anyone. I was smiling when I typed it. All I meant is some people do it and know about, and some don't. I've said a zillion times I learn something from every angler I fish with whether it's their first trip or their 10,000th trip. I still learn the most basic things that I've just never thought of or seen someone do.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I recommend against lipping dogfish. Pretty much all of the anglers I know who have done it (I'm not one of them thankfully) end up bleeding. Sometimes, a lot! I do recommend tossing a lure in front of one however. They like to whack stuff!

This reminds me I should clarify - I also learn what NOT to do from some anglers! ;D

Slipkey

Quote from: fiker on April 08, 2014, 06:55:46 PM
First they hook the hook into the hook keeper if it has one.  If not, the use a guide.  Then they wrap the line around the rod to keep the line from tangling with other rods, and other lines when they lay it down.  It also makes it easier to put the rods into the locker tubes, or even the locker as it keeps things from tangling.

If you get in the habit of doing this all the time you will thank yourself for how much easier life is.

+1 to what Fiker said. I've now gotten in the habit of doing it even when I put a rod down on the deck. Keeps the rods on the deck from getting tangled when you have open the lid underneath them.

Waterfoul

I feel so insulted.   >:(
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on April 24, 2014, 11:50:10 AM
I recommend against lipping dogfish. Pretty much all of the anglers I know who have done it (I'm not one of them thankfully) end up bleeding. Sometimes, a lot! I do recommend tossing a lure in front of one however. They like to whack stuff!

This reminds me I should clarify - I also learn what NOT to do from some anglers! ;D

Ummmmm yeah, they do have strong jaws !!!!!!!   I probably show people Not what to do than the other.    haha

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Waterfoul on April 25, 2014, 01:40:53 PM

I feel so insulted.   >:(

Ummmm yeah, I'm sure Mike.  lolol

djkimmel

It's okay to insult some people... ;D

Maybe I will start an 'Okay to Insult' list?!?