Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dragging Tubes On LSC

Started by bassindivine, April 04, 2007, 02:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassindivine

I know that dragging tubes is one of the most popular techniques for catching smallmouth on Lake St Clair...so what set-up do you use(rod size,line size,etc.)?

Most people i know uses a mh 7' rod matched with different spinning reels and 8lb line. 

Whats your perference? ??? ??? ???
MOTOR CITY BASS ANGLERS
www.motorcitybassanglers.com

JCOOPER

I have 2 "tube rods"  both 7 1/2 quantm tour editions.  Its a saltwater blank that they only made for a couple years.  Its impossible to get one now, but it seems to be the only rods to survive one year of my abuse let alone 5.  I team them up with quantum #4 series reels (model usually changes every year or two but the 4's have alot bigger spools and less line twist) with 10# p-line floro.
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

fiker

I use a Fenwick HMX 7'0" rod with a Shimano reel.  I use 14# Fireline as a main line, and 8 or 10 # fluoro as a leader. I attach the leader with a snap swivel.  I started fishing with the braid to compensate for an inexpensive rod that I used previously.  I used the fluro because I didn't want line shy fish to spook from the braid in the clear water. I'll keep on doing it this way with the Fenwick because it has worked well for me.  I know that the braid floats more than fluoro, and most monos, but I like the sensitivity.

On Clair, I'm almost always fishing with a jig inside the tube, and an exposed hook.  I often use 5" tubes as well.  Weight of jig is dependant on wind speed, current, depth, .... the usual.

Sometimes I drag tubes using the wind.  Other times I use the current. 
Mostly I "pop" my tube jigs off of the bottom and let 'em fall back down on semi slack line while reeling in the slack.  I find I attract more attention this way.  Plus, I'm too hyper to just drag it most of the time.  I came to "fish", not "watch".
Sometimes in shallow water near structure (rock piles)  I'll put my rod tip down low to the water, and drag the tube much like I would sweep a Carolina rig.  Twitching with this technique works well for me also.  I think it acts more like a crawfish like that. 
Hope this gives you some ideas.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Revtro

Personally I prefer a medium action rod to aid with the cast distance since it's such clear water.  Fish it very s-l-o-w.  Give a 5" tube a chance.  You may get a few less bites, but it does tend to draw better bites.  If you watch gobies, you'll notice that they swim horizontally along the bottom.  That's why keeping your bait horizontal (using a 60 degree eye hook helps) seems to work so well.  I think it must mimic a goby rather well.  The number one color for me in the clearest of water seems to be Xtreme's St. Clair Goby.  Darker colors seem to work better deeper, like when you're in the river.  Of course, it's a day to day thing.

Like Fiker, I like a low stretch line.  I either use 10lb Floro or Spiderwire Stealth with a Floro leader.  It's just my opinion, but I also found that in many cases you can get away with a slightly heavier jig than most recommend.  I rarely find myself fishing lighter than 1/4 oz anymore.  It doesn't seem to have a negative impact on how many bites I get and I can cast it a heck of a lot farther than a 1/8 oz jig.  No sense in fishing anything but an exposed hook on LSC.  Not much to get snagged up on most of the time.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

BigSmallie

Don't forget your blades while on St. Clair!

BS ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

joshimoto son

Don't forget to eat a sandwich... turn around and talk to your buddy... fiddle with your reel and other distracting stuff of that sort.

For me... it never fails, every time I take my attention off of what I'm doing, I get bit.

My buddies think it's the funniest thing ever, they are constently telling me that I catch more fish on accident than on purpose. I have to admit, it's true!

It's easy to find me out there, I'll be the guy sitting down in the front of the boat running the trolling motor with my hand and playing with the settings on graph.

joshimoto son ;D

JCOOPER

Josh

I love it.  One of my best spring spots on clair, I found while me and my practice partner were floating around both taking a nap.  I stood up to relieve my bladder and noticed there were beds everywhere.  2 miles off shore! 
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

spinninbug

Josh isn't fibbin either,  that is exactly how it is in his boat.  Don't ask me how to catch fish on st clair,  well ok I hook them and get them to the boat and loose them,  but Josh will catch the ones following,  just my luck.  Or just leave his jerk bait laying on top of the water right next to the boat while he's helping his partner do something and get bit!! And I believe he culled with that fish!  No joke right next to the boat.  Never in my life have I seen anyone so lucky!!   :D  OH boy that was a fun day,  I have to addmit I do believe one of the most fun days I had was fishing with Josh.  The hot laps were the best though ;D

Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

joshimoto son

All I've got to say to that is.... VROOM VROOM BABY!

::) GEEESSH I'm blushing....

Hooksetter

I use 6 1/2' GLoomis IMX MH spinning rods with Shimano Stradic 2500 MgF reels.

8# P-Line floro. I will be trying Halo this year.

Usually 1/4 oz. 60 degree Bite Me jigs. If its REALLY flat I will use 1/8 oz.

Extreme Canadien Mist tubes have produced best for me. Numbers and size.

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.