Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:24:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Duckett rods?

Started by Wolfie729, March 11, 2014, 09:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie729

Hooksetter

I bought one from another member here at GLB last spring. Spinning rod, 7' fast action medium. I put a Shimano Stradic 2500 Ci4 reel on it with 8# P-Line halo. I use it for DS. I like it alot. Extremely light combo, very sensitive. So far nothing but good things to say about it.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

ACbassassassin

I'm intrigued in these rods too.  I was thinking about getting a 7'3" H and making it my go to jig rod, but some of the reviews on BPS are spotty.

I might take the plunge anyways.

Wolfie729

Quote from: ACbassassassin on March 11, 2014, 11:47:55 PM
I'm intrigued in these rods too.  I was thinking about getting a 7'3" H and making it my go to jig rod, but some of the reviews on BPS are spotty.

I just bought that same rod for the same thing and a 7'6" crankin rod

ACbassassassin

Quote from: Wolfie729 on March 11, 2014, 11:54:26 PM
Quote from: ACbassassassin on March 11, 2014, 11:47:55 PM

I just bought that same rod for the same thing and a 7'6" crankin rod

Be sure to post how you like it when this ice finally leaves!

motocross269

Duckett had an opportunity to create some job growth in this country by building his Rods in the US...He chose to build them out of the country so I choose to buy other brands...There are still plenty of great Rod choices made in the US with competitive pricing and a high value..Why go anywhere else..??....JMHO

MSURoss

Quote from: motocross269 on March 12, 2014, 08:07:41 AM
Duckett had an opportunity to create some job growth in this country by building his Rods in the US...He chose to build them out of the country so I choose to buy other brands...There are still plenty of great Rod choices made in the US with competitive pricing and a high value..Why go anywhere else..??....JMHO

Agree with you 100%

Wolfie729

Quote from: motocross269 on March 12, 2014, 08:07:41 AM

I guess i wasnt aware they were made out of the country

djkimmel

Not always easy to find what's still built in the U.S. Maybe a list of U.S. built products would be interesting? Probably have to keep up on the list to make sure changes are noted when a company moves production outside the U.S.

Would we need to look at U.S. built parts too? Lots of the parts would not be made in the U.S.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Slipkey

I was checking them out at BPS, when I was last in there, along with a few other brands.  I was looking for a new 7' medium spinning rod.  Comparing the Ghost, I thought the St. Croix Mojo Bass rods were lighter, better balanced, and more sensitive.  In the higher price range the White Ice doesn't hold a candle, IMHO, to the my all-time-favorite, the St. Croix Avid. (OK, so I've got a bit of a brand bias...)

That said, for rods that fall between the $100 and $200 price ranges, the rods from Gary Loomis' new company Temple Fork Outfitters are looking really good.  I looked at the "Signature Series" rods that Cabelas has on sale a couple weeks back and was really impressed.  I'm thinking of picking up one of the "Tactical" series spinning rods this spring, but I haven't found one locally - only online.

oldjigger

with that said i used to be with gl loomis I like the B & R outlaw rods better for sensitivity and price   I am also impressed with T Allen rods from florida

Waterfoul

Ugly Stick.  Enough said.   ;)

That said, not into white rods.  I'll stick with my black Shimanos.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

ACbassassassin

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 12, 2014, 07:31:33 PM
Ugly Stick.  Enough said.   ;)

That said, not into white rods.  I'll stick with my black Shimanos.

What model Shimano?

Slipkey

Quote from: oldjigger on March 12, 2014, 04:52:45 PM
with that said i used to be with gl loomis I like the B & R outlaw rods better for sensitivity and price   I am also impressed with T Allen rods from florida
Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to check those out!

Grinny

What model Shimano?
[/quote]

I like them all, I have a bunch of compre's, some crucials, and I picked up a 7'2 cumara drop shot rod, medium power with extra fast action, off craigslist for $100! It is unbelievably light paired with the stradic ci4 2500, it feels like I might throw the set up out of my hands it's so light!

ACbassassassin

Quote from: Grinny on March 12, 2014, 09:56:35 PM

What model Shimano?

I like them all, I have a bunch of compre's, some crucials, and I picked up a 7'2 cumara drop shot rod, medium power with extra fast action, off craigslist for $100! It is unbelievably light paired with the stradic ci4 2500, it feels like I might throw the set up out of my hands it's so light!
[/quote]

Very cool.

I really don't mean to hijack the thread.. I am just looking to pick up some new rods (specifically Drop Shot, cranking, jig, and flipping rods) and I was looking at Duckett's rods because they receive a fair amount of praise on a regular basis.

I've been recommended Smoke, and Crucial rods as well. I've been searching this forum's archives for opinions.

Waterfoul

Quote from: Grinny on March 12, 2014, 09:56:35 PM

What model Shimano?

[/quote]

That is the exact set up I have for drop shotting.  I also have several Crucials and Clarus's that I like very much.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Grinny

I have a Crucial and a Clarus crankbait rod, and I like them both about the same, you could save yourself $70 and get a clarus... Obviously everybody's preferences are different.

I fish for fun so I like a rod that has some play to it to enjoy the fight, not hook a fish, pray they don't jump and fling them in the boat with a stout stick... :) if I lose a fish, I lose a fish. (Although I'm a fisherman, so I hate to lose a fish!)

Wolfie729

Well i went and looked at TFO's and just brought the ducketts back those TFO's are sweet