Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:13:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Side imaging???

Started by Wolfie729, March 03, 2014, 01:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie729

Is this a must have up front? Looking at putting it in by the console for sure but possibly up front too and turning just one side on for along docks and shorelines is this a bad idea?

Genie

Side imaging on a trolling motor is difficult at best.  Best bet is to get down imaging up font and maybe link the 2 units so you can see the side imaging from the other unit.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Got Fish??

The  fish graff on my trolling motor. Mounted  up frount, Is where I  have my best unit. My  console graff has basic fuctions plus GPS. It gets me where I'm going. When I hop into the front seat is when I  need all that information. Got to have two graffs. Don't be to tight on  the $$. Get yourself a decent unit to start.

MSURoss

I would say no. You have to be moving for side imaging to work. That's why they came up with 360 imaging. If you are on a budget get a 898 for counsel and 858 for bow or what ever the models HB has now.... down imagining isn't really that special and if you are unsure of what the 2d is giving you, you can always go over it with your unit at counsel. Personally I have linked 998 and 858 birds and couldn't be happier whole setup only cost me about $1,600.

Wolfie729

so heres what i bought I bought humminbird 899ci hd SI for the console and a 859di for the front the rear has side imaging and the front has down imaging but am linking them together so I can look at my side imaging from the back on the front without it moving how far infront of the boat will that side imaging view or none?  Also I bought a hydrowave just to take a stab at it and see if it works

Wolfie729

is  360 imaging worth the money its about $1,000 for the setup it looks like

Wolfie729

nevermind its a lot more than that out of my budget

MSURoss

Not sure if u can you see side imagining at the front if it's not capable to begin with.

Wolfie729

According to the guys at cabelas i could hopefully i can

skeeterman190

im putting same set up in my boat this year but im not sure you can do the si on the front unit if its linked im sure you can see all the same gps points but i doubt that a di will show si..but im not that smart on the graph deals so..
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

huston

Maybe WE can try an  arrange for HB to conduct some seminars in our area. D&R in Kalamazoo host them sometimes and so does Gander Mountain. We spend all this money on these electronics and are entitled to training.

MSURoss

Quote from: huston on March 04, 2014, 08:23:44 AM
Maybe WE can try an  arrange for HB to conduct some seminars in our area. D&R in Kalamazoo host them sometimes and so does Gander Mountain. We spend all this money on these electronics and are entitled to training.

I agree!!

fiker

I also agree. 

I've had my 898 and 788 for 4 years.  They are interlinked together.   They will share way points, but that's it.  They won't even share maps. 
I just don't see how DI units can display SI from another unit. But I'm no expert by any means. 

SI on my boat works best when I'm moving between 3 and 5 mph.  Having said that though I have fished on the back of a boat that had SI on and 1197.  We were moving on the tm at a pretty good clip and I could see rock piles on St. Clair. 

I've been studying some you tube videos about using SI from a guy named Doug Vahrenberg.  From what I've encountered on the net these have been the most helpful. 

What we need is a Humminbird expert in the area similar to what Lance Valentine does for Lowrance.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dartag

Maybe a road trip to D&R for there open house is in order.  If you try and organize someone over here let me know.  I will have 2 HB's on my boat this spring.

Dan

Mike Elkins does them at D&R
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Mike Elkins has told me he will start helping with Humminbird questions on GreatLakesBass.com. I created a new child board under Electronics Talk - Humminbird Side Imaging and Marine Electronics for this. If you start posting Humminbird-specific questions in that board I will get Mike Elkins aware it is up and being used, and see if he is able to provide some answers.

Mike will be doing this on his own time of his own free choice so please be patient with him and realistic in expectations. I will be very happy if additional resources come out of GreatLakesBass.com but we'll see how it goes first. No promises. Just hope that this website can provide more helpful resources for all of you to enjoy your fishing more. Of course, anyone who can contribute is always welcome to pitch in too! That is the primary benefit of a public open forum.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SethV

I have 998's at both bow and console - console is best for SI - a "must have" on the big water.  On the TM it is less useful, but it does help spot a rock or piece of structure off to the side when I am moving with the TM or drifting.  I also have a lowrance at the bow and console and use them for GPS - the 998's just are not big enough if you plan to use 2D, SI and GPS all at the same time.

Frank

SI at the console for great lakes, on the bow inland.  I spend less then 15 minutes of my day in the drivers seat inland.  I won a tournament because as i trolled along the shore line, i looked down and saw a stump field on the other side of me.  2 extra fish

huston

The seminars at D&R are helpful but when I attended last year, you shared a unit with maybe two or three people and they were conducted by a HB rep. But all questions just were not answered  because of time restraints and not all display units were SI. My two units are Ethernet connected because that is what HB informed me was best. Me not really knowing it all, later found out that Ethernet does not lock in waypoints to both units when marking them on either unit,(788 & 898). The interlink does that. Before anybody buys these electronics, they should study, research, ask, and if any of us are knowledgeable, like Dan says weigh in with info to help us all. Every other week it's a software update, or installation fix or repair.

Firefighter Jeff

I have a 898 at the dash and a 788 at the bow.  Mine are connected by Ethernet.  It's true that when marking a waypoint it only locks to the unit you are setting it on, but the waypoint does show up on the other unit as long as both are powered up. There are times I'll go to the bow and cant see the point I want then realize I hadn't turned on the one at the dash where I set the waypoint or vice verse.
   I think DI on the bow would be more helpful fishing structure you might see in reservoirs.  Flooded trees etc but I really liked using it on Mullet last fall and easily spotted the smallies on the bottom.
   One tip I learned for side imaging ..... set the chart speed as close to the MPH as possible.  Ex. using the big motor at 5 mph, set the chart speed at 5.  ( it's range is 0-10) You'll get the clearest picture this way.
   Unless it's changed they don't share mapping chips.  I bought one for each unit.
    Side imaging on the bow does not show anything forward if the boat is going straight.  The sonar shoots down and out perpendicular from the transducer. If you turn the TM when using SI one side will blur some until you are heading straight again.  Eventhough, I do hear of guys that really like SI up front.
      Huston, I attended the same at D&R a few years ago and agree with everything you said.  However, it was only $10 for the class and you could use it as a credit in the store afterwards.   :)