Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:25:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Great Lakes Safety Equipment.

Started by dhuff, March 26, 2007, 08:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhuff

Can someone point me to a website or give a list of what safety equipment is needed in the boat for the great lakes?

motocross269

It is all on the michigan DNR Website...I would list them all out here, but I am afraid I might forget something..Dan has a link to it on the GLB home page.

5alive

If you plan on venturing into Canada and Ohio waters, better check them too. No flare guns in Canada and you need a distress flag in Ohio, plus I would imagine some other differences too.
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

Langer

There was just a post a couple days ago pertaining to the flair guns and Canada. Someone posted the wording on the law from canada, basically stating that they are allowed and OK as long as you dont use them for a crime.

FOUND THE POST:  http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=2182.0;topicseen
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

djkimmel

Check out the link on my home page for the Michigan DNR Safe Boating Guide (or 'cheat' and click here). It's a must have for all Michigan boaters. Lists the equipment.

I always carry a cheap large (but small folded up) orange signaling flag in my boat. The last time I was checked by the Canucks they told me they generally go by the regulations of the boaters state of origin for connected waters. That has been several years so like all regulations, it should be confirmed with up-to-date information.

I think you can get Ohio boating information from 1-800-BUCKEYE. You might be able to get to some Ontario boating information through 1-800-ONTARIO. I would hope they could at least point you in the right direction. There's some stuff here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/regs.htm

We are always obligated to find out the latest accurate regulations when we travel into another state/province/country. I sometimes even call Walpole Island officials to confirm things and ask about any changes.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dhuff

I have that book but was told by someone that on the greatlakes you have to have something that could be used to bail water out of a boat.  Is that true, because I don't see it in the book?  What kind of flag do you use for daytime signal?

SODY

I would recommend something to bail with at anytime on the great lakes. Dan do you remember the time we got caught in that thunderstorm on the Canadian side of St.clair in a BFL. We made it back but I have had a good set of goggles, a manual compass and a bailing device in my boat ever since. I was glad you were prepared. I won't leave home without a signal wistle either. I think Canada wants this now because they have asked me specificaly for a wistle twice??
Sody

DDBethke

Some great old tips from the Boss of Erie...(Mr. Balog)

http://www.bassclubdigest.org/features/rough_water_boat_rigging.htm

Duane

Also,
Does anyone have a good list of phone numbers to store in our cell phones for Marine Tow Service, Coast Guard, NOAA Weather and whatever else for the Erie and St. Clair area?
Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

Revtro

A flag isn't required I've been told as long as you carry flares.  A bailing device isn't required, but it depends on who stops you.  The Mac. County Sherrif didn't ask me about it, but the Coast Guard Aux. did. 

I think we boaters should contribute to a list of items that aren't required, but should be carried.  For example:
1. A bailing device. 
2. A manual Compass.
3. Orange Flag. (usefull for flagging down help when broke down, rather than putting up emergency flares.)
4. Tool Kit.
5. Extra rope for towing.
6. Hand held VHF radio.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

motocross269

The Manual compass is a great idea..I need to get one.  GPS doesn't work so well if it gets really cloudy. 
As far as the bailing device goes...Does that mean just a small bucket?
Something I read somewhere said to have a small electric bilge pump with clips.  You can use this for 2 things, it acts as a back up bilge pump, but you can also make up plumbing in case your livewell aerator takes a dump.
Most of you ol' pros probably knew that, but I thought it was a great idea.

Revtro

They mean a bucket.  But one of those big ole deep Plano boxes will bail just as well and serve a dual purpose.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Langer

Quote from: Revtro on April 19, 2007, 11:58:49 AM
They mean a bucket.  But one of those big ole deep Plano boxes will bail just as well and serve a dual purpose.

Or a spinnerbait box.

Some of the random stuff I have on board.

• Flashlight, easier to see into the battery compartment.
  • Bayer asprin, mostly fish with my dad with some blood pressure problems, just incase the ole ticker acts up.
  • Tools are kept in an old ammo can.
  • A pair of side cutters, my dad once got a hook in his hand, didnt have anything to get in close enough to cut the hook off.
  • Sun Screen
  • A few bottles of water, Some frozen (can be used to cool off your livewell if needed)

Thats all I can think of for now.
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

Dan

One thing I try to keep in the boat is some boat oil. I have had a VRO pump fail and was 20 miles from the trailer. I was able at that time to take the oil resevoir out and dump oil directly into the gas tank to make sure that I wouldn't burn up the motor. Don't know if this would work on injector models, but in my case it got me back without hurting the big motor. I have also been out a number of times and have had people flag me down because they forgot to fill up with oil.
I found the Joe Balog article very good on Ultimate Bass Fishing page referenced earlier in this thread. Carrying a back up pump with some hose and an easy alligator connection to a battery could really be handy on big water.

There is a web page I frequent that has some pretty good deals and on this site there are long nosed side cutters for $4.99. Here is the site http://www.westcoastmall.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2882  These side cutters rust up fast so the price here looks right for use a season and buy new.

I always have a pair in my boat that I use to cut hooks that fish take deep (and have used it to cut hooks out of people). In fish, I always cut the hook on those that take it in the gullet.  You can then pull it out by the barb end without ripping the guts out of the fish. I still have a hard time buying the fact that fish dissolve those hooks. I have caught a bass that had a perch rig coming out of its anus and it had a tiny fish hook on it that I was able to work out and that hook was still solid. It was in the spring after ice out and so that hook probably had been in for weeks. I hope they dissolve, and I tell myself they do, but I find it hard to really believe.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Hooks can take a loooonnngggg time in freshwater to 'rust out.' I've seen study results on this. Plated hooks my never rust out. If you can't cut the hook out, cut the line leaving 6" to 8" hanging out of the mouth. For whatever reason with bass, this really works a lot of the time.

Try the Jeff Snyder/cameraguy hook removal trick for single hook lures on deep-hooked bass. It works really good. Search on the forum to find the description by cameraguy and deep hooked bass - should find it. If not, I'll have to eventually detail it for the web site - maybe with pictures.

Also, I'm trying a new simple dehooker this year that might work. I'll report on it later.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I bought an orange folded up vinyl signal flag from West Marine for about $5 a few seasons ago. It folds out to something like 3x3 ft and works a LOT better than waving your hat. maybe better than flares if you aren't in the wilderness or lost at night.

I really need to get to work on my resource site. Great info here and more.

I took a large laundry detergent bottle from home after it was empty (I thought about, but resisited, the urge to dump out the remainder early), screwed the top on real tight and cut off most of the bottom. Leave a little bit of a 'lip' on opposite of the handle (kitty-corner). A most rectangle shaped bottle is best. It makes a fast and efficient water scoop.

I also carry a long-tubed hand pump with hose. And years ago I made an 'emergency' live well pump/fill, bilge device with a long wire set with alligator clips, a switch on the positive wire, a 750 gph bilge pump and a 4-foot flexible hose. I can quickly pump water in and out of about anywhere in the boat with it. cameraguy can attest to how well it can do in a pinch in a divided livewell.

The spare oil is pretty important too. At one time or another, I've 'loaned' out most of my spare and emergency fixit stuff on the water.