Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:27:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

First boat help

Started by Wolfie729, February 22, 2014, 10:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie729

Ok guys so Im looking at buying my first boat i just got real serious into bass fishing last year. And I came across a 2007 bass tracker 175 for $9,800 a friend of mine says thats a bunch of money for a boat but i dont see it that way am I wrong do you guys have any recomendations for a first bass boat that I could occasionally bow fish off.

Slipkey

That's a bit high for that boat, IMHO.  A quick Google search shows quite a few newer 175's for less than that asking price.  My first "bass boat" was a 16 foot Lund with a 40 horse Merc that I completely renovated with my own casting decks, livewells, rod boxes, etc.  I found it used and paid $2500 for it, at the time.  It was was mine, paid for, and I pulled it all over Wisconsin (where I was living at the time) and had a blast exploring water and learning to catch bass.

My suggestion is not to over-extend yourself on the boat but, instead, buy a good affordable fishing platform from which to learn.  There are a lot of great aluminum boats out there that fit that bill and won't break the bank.  Get a good trolling motor, good rods and reels, decent electronics, and just fish out of your own boat for a year.  If this 175 is that platform, so much the better.  I do think you can find a better price, though.

mikesmiph

I'm so happy to see you on here asking before buying one. Just the opposite of what I did. I knew nothing about bass boats and just bought the first one that came along in my price range. I joined this site later. My one big advise to you is don't rush. There are so many boats out there for sale it can get very confusing. I might even advise you to wait a year. Ride in other peoples boats. Listen to what they like and don't like about them. Keep your eyes open for just the right boat. Many of the guys on here have found fantastic deals on really nice used boats. Use what they tell you, but pick your own boat. As I said though, don't hurry.

Wolfie729

Thanks guys i fished out of some other boats last summer and kind of got an idea what i want I would love a fiberglass boat but their not cheap and i wouldnt mind bow fishing out of it occasionally is there any brands that are better to look at?

Slipkey

Most of them now use at least .100" gauge aluminum, but some of the older Tracker's used a thinner gauge.   If I were, personally, going to buy an aluminum boat, outside of finding a sweet deal on Ranger's RT series boats I would buy an Alumacraft (here's a used one on another site, as an example - scroll down to the Alumacraft section ). They use a heavier gauge aluminum (.102") than most of the other MFR's and they've been making really good welded boats for a long time. Their Mod-V 1860 is laid out really well and their 17.5' pro series boats are really nice aluminum bass boats. You can also find a lot of them used in the Great Lakes states, as they are a really popular brand in MN and WI.   If you're willing to drive to pick up the boat, you can find some sweet deals out there.

MSURoss

Wolfie729

MSURoss

Frank

I paid 10k for mine.  96 pro craft, 210 dual pro
20'6"
2003 merc 225 with 9 hours on the motor, I still had to break it in

Got Fish??

Take into consideration. Your a first time boat owner. Get something that you can handle and afford. You will be fishing by yourself at times. Get something that is easy to lounch, tows nice and is sea worthy. As  long as your safely  on the water.It's all good!

TimH

All very good advice from everyone who has posted so far.  I started out five years ago with a 1987 Mirrorcraft with a 30 HP Evinrude ($1,800).  I built and installed floors, casting decks, livewells, and storage bins.  It was a great boat to learn both bass fishing and overall boat handling with.  After several years, and when my confidence was up a bit more, I sold the boat for about $500 more than I had paid for it, and purchased a barely used 2002 Javelin with a 90 HP Johnson.  I am so glad that I started out with a cheap aluminum boat before I switched to a glass boat with a higher hp motor.  Either way, take the time to look and make sure to go over whatever boat you purchase with a fine tooth comb.

Wolfie729

Would a 17' triton be too small with a 150hp ?

Wolfie729

Ok its a 2000 triton 17' with a 125hp 4stroke for $8,000

Got Fish??

OK that's a nice boat. Now you  need to get in with a small local bass club. You  will learn  a lot, fishing with a bunch of  freindly guys. Most members will point you in  the right direction.

Wolfie729

So that would be a good starter boat not too small? Anything i should worry about? Wheres a bass group near zeeland MI?

MSURoss

Who has that Triton forsale? I may be interested if you don't get it.

Wolfie729

A freind of mines dad i think he has it listed for 8,500

MSURoss

Quote from: Wolfie729 on February 24, 2014, 09:58:43 PM
A freind of mines dad i think he has it listed for 8,500

Is there a link?

Kal-Kevin

Quote from: Wolfie729 on February 24, 2014, 08:11:50 PM
So that would be a good starter boat not too small? Anything i should worry about? Wheres a bass group near zeeland MI?
Not much help on the boat part other then look at hauling to, the heaver the boat the more it cost to tow and refuel. Also what type tow vehicle are you towing with and can it handle the tow load? Lastly are you planning local lakes or big waters too? Glass is better for big waters.

As for a bass club stay away from the big trial groups they are not as open to helping out newbies. As for one in your area stop by the local tackle shop and ask the guy that sells bait he most likely talking to local guy and know of who has a tournament going in your area. It has always been one of my best places to pick up new members when needed tell the bait guys in my area.

Wolfie729

Quote from: Kal-Kevin on February 24, 2014, 10:17:39 PM
Quote from: Wolfie729 on February 24, 2014, 08:11:50 PM
Not much help on the boat part other then look at hauling to, the heaver the boat the more it cost to tow and refuel. Also what type tow vehicle are you towing with and can it handle the tow load? Lastly are you planning local lakes or big waters too? Glass is better for big waters.

As for a bass club stay away from the big trial groups they are not as open to helping out newbies. As for one in your area stop by the local tackle shop and ask the guy that sells bait he most likely talking to local guy and know of who has a tournament going in your area. It has always been one of my best places to pick up new members when needed tell the bait guys in my area.

No he took it of and is planning on reposting it in the spring if you would like pm me and ill get you the number