Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:02:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

This could be you

Started by Mojo, October 18, 2013, 11:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Tonight didn't make it any easier... Shot a very clean 12 ft distance xds 9, m&p shield and the XDm.  Oh boy !!!!

*  The xds 9 was first, very accurate, trigger felt like a glock.....shot like a dream
*  M&P Shield 9 was next. Thought is took a little more to find the target each shot, but the trigger was like butter....
*  Then the XDm felt like it was meant for my hand. Dead accurate, but would be a touch bulky to carry when compared to the others.......

Then when I thought I was thoroughly conflicted, the guy next to me handed me a Kimber ultra carry 2. 45 acp........ Omg... single stack, slim, no kick, accurate, and a 45 bus stopper ???? Now then....
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mike S.

So you had the exact same problem with the M&P that I do. As for those Kimbers, they are a thing of beauty. My dad ordered the Solo something in a 9mm.  It is all black, very small, and comes with a laser sight in the handle.  But it comes with a sticker of just over $1200, and a 9 month wait. You are really doing your homework on these. I am not that disciplined. I just bought what I liked the look of. You should shoot an XDS 45.  I love that gun. Granted it's no Kimber, but it's nice. It has a polymer frame, has a trigger safety as well as a palm safety on the back of the handle. It also has an indicator on the top that shows when a round is in the chamber. Plus it has a back strap that can be changed to  Etter fit your hand if need be.

VinceR

Quote from: Mojo on February 07, 2014, 09:35:06 PM
Tonight didn't make it any easier... Shot a very clean 12 ft distance xds 9, m&p shield and the XDm.  Oh boy !!!!

*  The xds 9 was first, very accurate, trigger felt like a glock.....shot like a dream
*  M&P Shield 9 was next. Thought is took a little more to find the target each shot, but the trigger was like butter....
*  Then the XDm felt like it was meant for my hand. Dead accurate, but would be a touch bulky to carry when compared to the others.......

Then when I thought I was thoroughly conflicted, the guy next to me handed me a Kimber ultra carry 2. 45 acp........ Omg... single stack, slim, no kick, accurate, and a 45 bus stopper ???? Now then....

Mojo, before you lock in completely on the Kimber, take a look at the Colt Defender in .45 ACP. It's also available in 9MM, if that's more to your liking. Shooting the Colt is like pointing your finger.

Mike S.

I haven't heard of the Colt Defender. Is it a smaller carry gun, or is it comparable to all of the other 3 inch barreled compacts?  I guess I could just Google it.

VinceR

Quote from: Mike S. on February 08, 2014, 07:02:25 PM
I haven't heard of the Colt Defender. Is it a smaller carry gun, or is it comparable to all of the other 3 inch barreled compacts?  I guess I could just Google it.

Mike S, it is a smaller carry gun (1911 w/3" barrel), very similar in size to the Kimber Ultra Carry, but the "gripper" style handle makes all the difference in the world for me. Very comfortable to hold and shoot.

If you Google Colt Defender it will take right to the Colt website.

Mike S.

stackenem

So why would you want to spend all this heavy dollars for these weapons when most likely if you brandish this or use it you are going to lose it for awhile any way. The more you spend on a weapon the more likely it will come up missing when you go to get it back. There have been several people that found this out the hard way. Most times that you need to use your weapon will be at 10 ft or less and I have yet to see a weapon that won't hit at that range. If you can't hit something at 10 feet no weapon in the world will help you, except maybe a sawed off 12 gauge. And yes if you pull and point that is considered brandishing which is againist the law.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Mike S.

I see your point Stack.  But, weapon is such an ugly word. Firearm sounds much better. I grew up shooting. But it was just rifles and shotguns. The handguns are new to me. I like shooting. It's fun. I also have them for home defense.

I will carry from time to time. You cannot draw your gun unless you need to use it. If you point, you better pull the trigger, and there better be a threat. Consealed carry is a out being discreet. People are not supposed to know you are carrying. Brandishing is illegal. Most who obtain a cpl permit are responsible enough to follow the laws, and don't think they need to be a "big man" by carrying a firearm.

I personally do not feel that I need a gun on me every time I walk out of my house. I'm not afraid of the world, and don't teach my children to be scared either. They do know how to properly handle a firearm, and they have respect for them. I guess carrying is just an added measure of protection, provided you have it when it is needed.

But Stack, I totally hear and understand your take on this topic.

Mojo

That was well said.

I think cabin fever sets in Stack, and were just bumpin a topic along. Mikes good point is, you'll never know if I'm carrying, or even if I am a carrier. I do know myself too. I will study  and study until I buy, whether an expensive rod or anything other $200 I guess. Everyone has a point whether they consider their options vs the dollar they spend. For some its any purchase over $500, some it's $1000.

I know I don't want to buy and sell several handguns and end up with a "collection" before I find the one that's right for me. I probably will anyway. But hopefully just 1 or 2 9 mm and 1 or 2 45s.   The risk is me publicly acknowledging I'm pro cpl to our fishing community. That may change a few peoples minds on ol Mojo, but I'm kinda confident that this particular group- time and again- have shown their higher moral turpitude, openness to discuss nearly anything in a calm manner (albeit some members can write mini books as a response,,, aka ,,,,, Steven King Kimmel).

Short end of it is, you can't carry on st Clair cause if you are caught in Canada, you ain't coming back...... So it doesn't affect any of us anyway when we fish.

But to answer your question - why the fuss and a cpl ? Short answer is simple: I'm too old now and can no longer instinctively, immediately protect myself or my family like I used to. Statistics are growing that the older white male (with wife and kids) has much more to lose and are growing targets and easy victims.  And I'm definitely getting older.

It's also cabin fever and I'm not going buy anymore rods or reels for a few years.... And I can't get the boat on plane this time a year so bucket fishing is outa the question...... Hope this helps, hope we don't offend .

stackenem

I was just throwing out a few things that were brought up in my class a couple of years ago. Have you looked at the M&P 40 c. Sweet weapon. There is also the double tap. Which is a 2 barrel derringer chambered in the 45acp. Pulled the trigger twice and you will get their attention.

Mike firearm, weapon all the same they both do the same thing. I was brought up calling guns a weapon because they are same as a knife, club, etc. MSP family growing up.

No offense meant to any one.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

VinceR

Mojo, with a cpl, you can carry on Lake St. Clair. You just cannot cross into Canadian waters.

Mike S.

No offense taken my friend. That Derringer is cool. I saw it in a magazine at my dad's the other day. You can get it in 15 barrel lengths, I think is what it said, and it is available in 20 different calibers.  That is a wicked little gun.

Mojo

Quote from: VinceR on February 09, 2014, 07:53:48 PM
Mojo, with a cpl, you can carry on Lake St. Clair. You just cannot cross into Canadian waters.

My point exactly.... I find myself in them bassified waters quite a bit......