Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:25:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

spring turkey season 2014

Started by Got Fish??, January 10, 2014, 05:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got Fish??

:-[As with any hunting situation, make sure you know exactly where your hunting partener is at all times. Remember, be a good hunting buddy and don't be offened when your buddy blindfolds you on the drive in to his secret hunting spot. Teamingup on toms is a great way to enjoy your season

Got Fish??

When being the caller on your hunt team. I beleave using a box call, is the best  call to use, having both hands free.It has the best range of sound and the sound travels better and futher. If your hunting alone and don't have both hands free. I still start off with the box call, to locate tom. Then when he gets close in to range, I switch to my diaphragm. This gives you both hands free to be as still as possible make sure your diaphragm is in your mouth before you start calling. Your caller should have several types of calls in his arsenal., box, slate, diaphragm and other types of friction calls. Having different types of strikers , wood, plastic and different types of friction surface's,slate or glass. Gives you the tone that the bird  responds to. You won't  tie on one single lure on you rod and reel. Then leave your tackle box on the dock. Do not be cheap when you buy your box calls. Spend a few dollars and get a call that is quality.  Try them out and practice before you hit the woods  in the morning.

Got Fish??

Birds are starting to show up in Eaton, Monroe, Crawford.Kalkaska,Jackson and  Oakland counties. Thay just came out of know where in Crowford and Kalkaska. My scouts are amazed in the amount of birds, after such a long cold winter. Feeding help through out the snowy winter. Friends in Jackson were woke up by loud gobbles on Tuesday .

Got Fish??

Lots of birds starting to show up in Atrium,  Crawford , and kalkaska counties. A mix of deer and turkeys,  are  all over everyones feeders. Most of my scouts can't keep up . The snow is mostly gone, except where snow was plied. The turkeys  are all over the sides of the gravel roads and drivers must be careful when diving back and forth to town. Oakland County has a lot of open farm land , and  the birds  came out of the wood work this weekend.

Got Fish??

The north eastern part of the lower has been getting snow every couple of days 1 to 3 inches. It melts the next day . Toms are starting to look for love. Several lone toms are starting to show up in fields and along side roads. The first hunt for the 2014 spring season starts on Monday.Areas near Monroe, are already in courtship mode. The DNR  says there was a lot of starvation this year but  game numbers are not as bad as first thought to be. Starvation takes almost 70% of game killed every year. Hunters and preditors and cars cause the other 30% of the year

Got Fish??

Several tags have already been filled, just in this first couple of days of the 2014 spring season. Mostly jakes with a few nice mature toms mixed in. Not many single toms walking though the woods.

Got Fish??

The snow is mostly gone north of Clare.  Birds have been seen every where. I leave Saturday . Any one fill a tag yet?

Got Fish??

There was ice on the lakes north of 72, when I got to camp Saturday.the weather was cold  windy. Sundays warm weather melted most of the ice . The wind blew ice back and forth  across the lakes. Monday morning we struck out in my  first spot.  There were 25 mph winds  with cloudy skies. We didn't even get a gobble. I know where the bird's funnel through to get too a food plot. My son and I  high tailed to our 2ND spot. Where we sat facing each other, oh maybe 10ft apart. We  had a hen walk right between us. Our 3rd spot is  a piece of state land, where there are marked Orv trails. We lit three nice toms up right away. With our backs to the road thay came  running from the other side.  Not able to get a shot, with out shooting across the road. We worked the flock for about 1/2 hour until thay were parallel with the road. When a black jeep came rolling down the road, stoped an older man jumped out .wheeling a 12GA shot gun and shot into the flock. The flock being between us. He was about 80 yards from us when he shot.lucky no one was hurt. Thank to LT Gorno of the DNR  this road hunter was  sighted. Needless to say I didn't fill my tag. He killed the big tom.