Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:56:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Best Smallmouth Jerkbait?

Started by fishhound, December 19, 2013, 05:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhound

Whats your go to jerkbait and what color do you like?

Got Fish??

Sea Bee, it is a Japanese company. Pearl and olive green. Next I'm old school I like the original rapala. Gold and black or silver and black.

markgoetsch

gmetime24

I'm not a great jerkbait fisherman but my best days have come on the lucky craft 100 in bloody chartreuse shad

YpsiBass

Megabass Vision 110 or a Jackall Squad Minnow.

Big dreams

I have thrown the MegaBass 110 all year but have only caught a few dinks with it.  I am sure most of it is me and how I am fishing it.

djkimmel

I could never use the same jerkbait all year in all conditions. Too many variables. Especially in Michigan with the hard season changes and wide range of waters.

I've caught a ton of bass on Husky Jerks around people throwing Pointer 100s. I've definitely seen days when the deeper diving jerkbaits outfished shallow runners by a huge margin.

I've seen lots of days, especially in warm/hot water when a fast floater out-fished a suspending jerkbait. Sometimes the short-billed lures that float really kick butt in warmer water. Original Rapalas are nice lures but they're inefficient to cast so I use things like Smithwick Rattling Rogues a lot more. Used to use Rat-L-Stiks a lot too including the slap stik.

I've got a little Lake Police (Japanese version) jerkbait that saved my butt in a bunch of tournaments when nice bass were just too shy for regular-sized jerkbaits. Another night and day difference a number of times.

I like the big Rogues for really aggressive jerking. They're an excellent lure to find deep-bedding, territorial smallmouth bass that you can't see. They treat it more like another bass coming into their area maybe than something to eat. I've played with bigger jerkbaits and seen a few days when they called up bigger, deeper bass that later turned out to be on real deep beds that only something like the perfect day, my Seaviewer camera or the 'Cone of Injustice' can see.

I really don't have one favorite I would reach for first, or be able to use all the time. I do have a whole bunch of favorites for different times of the year, different conditions and different waters. But I get bored easy too, so who knows... there are those days though that I can't explain any other way other than the right bait made ALL the difference. I used to even put scent on them more often when I still fished lots of tournaments and some days... I had to wonder if that was the difference between follows and bass in the well.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Was glad they brought back the shallower, floater Rogues. Really like them for warm water, rivers and the 'spastic minnow' technique. Kind of like skipping flukes across the top.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mojo

Quote from: markgoetsch on December 19, 2013, 07:39:09 PM
Hands down pointer 100.

Hands down 100 pointer.  Two very good colors for LSC each caught a6.2 and a 6.3 in the spring.

Although,  The DD 110 saved me on Mullet last year, 4 fish bigger than 3.5 lb in an hour.

I've watched a guy whip a pointer 78 like it owed him money one day and he just whacked em 5 to 1 over my slower pass technique. Went against everything I knew at the time.

What waters are you fishing fishing fish hound?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

Lures are just tools. No one tool does it all.

Lake St. Clair has taught me as much as anywhere that things like lure size, profile, depth, technique and more sometimes make the difference between wondering what was wrong with the bass today verses finding out why Lake St. Clair is the number one bass lake!

Main tip for Lake St. Clair - if you're getting lots of follows and few clean hook ups, swap out your regular jerkbait for a deeper diver. It can make ALL the difference on that day or during that activity period anyway.

skeeterman190

jerkbaits as all baits are how u present them. i would keep boxes full of all kinds im a finesse guy but id get megabass 110s, lucky craft  and old rouges . i got boxes i never use of old school rouges..
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

fiker

I had really good luck last year with the Husky Jerk in the Helsinki shad color.  The BPS minnow fished like a jerk bait worked well too. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390