Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Rod dilema... Help..

Started by 21XDC, December 10, 2013, 10:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Most of Grandt's rods are in 6" increments. The best pricing by far is available to GreatLakesBass.com members who buy them at an outdoor show like the Grand Rapids Ultimate Sport Show in March 2014. In the past, you get to keep that pricing after you buy at the show but I haven't confirmed that with Jim recently.

Last time I asked, I believe they were making rods for about 70 other companies but I do not know many of the names. I should search the forum to see if I stated it earlier in the year rather than go by my memory but I thought he had told me 71? They are private label and sometimes there is no mention at all of the relationship. I do know that some members on here have said they like other rod brands that are actually made by Grandt. The member just doesn't know that.

It's pretty normal for us bass anglers to be particular. Common trait among many we have. I do try to share the connections and any important details I'm aware of that I think might help people make good, educated choices when I can. The industry seems to keep tightening up where fewer manufacturers make many of the products we use from 'different' companies.

Batteries are a good example. It was also weird for me seeing 4 major bass boat brands going down the same lines a few winters ago. Luckily, there are no shortages of things to 'debate.' Particularly for those of us locked in ice each winter (well, most winters, just not lately... this winter looks to be a long lockout though ;D)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

My wrists are fatigued from 30 years in the construction industry. I don't palm my reels, but hold the rod like a pistol. I love the 7 ft rods but found that after a day of casting, hook sets, and reeling fish in, My wrist hurts pretty bad. I feel the 6 ft 6 in rods are too short for my liking, but they don't bother my wrist at all. You wouldn't think there would be much difference. It must be the extra leverage and weight all day snowballing.  ::)  So when I went to the 6 ft 9 in rod to split the difference, I have been real happy. As long as the rod is fairly light weight. When I was younger I never understood the "Need" for expensive light weight rods. The fish don't care LOL...

My age and job are taking a toll...  :'(
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

I can understand and sympathize. I get wrist pain thanks to years of typing and using computer mousies. I still like longer rods though 7 to 7 1/2 foot most often (I'm 5' 10" - height makes a difference with some people). Lighter rods are real nice when I can get them.

I got stuck on the longer rods from a combination crankbait love and years of fishing the Great Lakes just winging casts a long ways. I do keep a few pistol-grip rods and shorter rods around though because I like to fish rivers, and shorter rods / pistol grips can be good for lots of shorts casts to the bank. Grandt makes a few pistol grips but I haven't bought one of those yet.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

I started a wish list:

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/aetos/

6 of these A681MHFC  Most of my baits

1 of these A761HXFC   Frog rod

1 of these A721MXFS  Drop shot and tube rod for St Clair
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

Make sure you put it where people who have extra spending money can see it! ;D

21XDC

Actually quite the opposite.. Hiding the list from the wife. LOL   ;D 
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

djkimmel

I left who should see the list completely up to you. I don't mention spouses on here usually. You'd be surprised how many of them actually read stuff on here!! Be careful... and make sure I don't get caught in the middle!!!!!! ;D

21XDC

LoL..  Actually I never lie or hide any $$$ or purchases from my wife... This has worked for me for 22 "glorious" years.... Well, not all 22 of them "glorious" LOL... All is well there.  ;D Debbie used to fish some tournaments with me before we had kids, and we did very well winning/placing many... Hopefully someday she will again. I taught her on a baitcaster and many guys were impressed that she casted better than they did. LOL... So maybe I could suggest that some of these rods are her "future rods" LOL...

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

djkimmel

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

21XDC

Well... On top of the two 6-9 fenwick elite tech smallmouth rods and two 6-9 Veritas micro guide casting.... I just ordered today...

8... Fenwick Aetos A681MHFC

2... Fenwick Aetos A761HXFC

1... Fenwick Aetos A701MHFS

:o

Next month some new Revo stx's
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max

Manxfishing

You know it's funny
I can tell you throw allot more jigs then me

I only have 4 MH casting rods out of the 30 or so rods

21XDC

;D No harm meant.... No girlie rods for me. LOL  Light line is 10lb...  :P I have been schooled with light line and sissy rods, But I don't like it anyway..  :) I have to like what I'm doing...  ::)
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max