Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

impeller

Started by Redbone, December 09, 2013, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbone

Is changing the impeller on the lower unit a pain? Mine needs to be changed this spring and I am probably going to do it myself.

markgoetsch

Not to bad if you know what you're doing and it really helps to have someone to help with holding and lining up the lower unit.

Genie

Kris - I might be able to help ... I think I need to redo mine too.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Manxfishing

It's not that bad
The first time I did mine, I dropped the lower unit and had a shop do the seals along with the impeller

But they put the wrong impeller in there
So I ended up pulling and then putting it back on 5 or 6 times till I figured out the impeller was wrong
And then 6 months later the seals went
They also installed the seals wrong

Lesson learned
The first marnia quoted 800 to do the seals and impeller
But they needed 2 months to look at it on the 4th of July
The place I took it too. I dropped the unit and they did the seals and impeller charged 380
did it in one day but screwed it up

A impeller is 20-30 bucks, seals were 12 bucks
Learn to do it yourself, It takes 2-3 hours and you'll know it's done right

Slipkey

Not really, though aligning the shift cable and speedo tube can be a pain on your own so it's nice to have a second pair of hands when you put the gearcase back on. Make sure to pick up all of your seals, some gasket sealant, and have something set up nearby that you can sit the unit upright to work on it. I have a 35 y.o. Craftsman workmate that I drop the skeg down through and cinch it up tight while I work.

Kal-Kevin

never done it till  last summer and found it was not bad as it sounds if you take your time and do a little research before you start. I check out a few u-tube videos while doing my research and after watching it a few times it went fine. I used a bucket a few boards to keep it upright while lining it up, nice thing was as I hook thing up I just added a thin board under the bucket to raise it bit by bit.
     One thing a friend told me was as you take it apart take a few photos it help when putting it back together.

djkimmel

Pretty much what I've always heard though haven't experienced firsthand. Been a while since I've had a lower unit off. The lining up is the tricky part - I remember having to reseat it a couple times to get the shift on an older outboard to work right (I don't do crossword puzzles well either). If you find someone to 'supervise' who has done it recently while you do it the first time, that is probably ideal.

I always like to see all of you helping each other out! Thanks!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Frank

if your in oakland county ill help.  i do it a lot

Redbone

Thanks Frank, but I'm on the west side.

It was easily getting clogged up most of the season and then it just didnt have that solid stream like I think it should. I am going to have to do some research over the winter. But I'm pretty sure a new impeller would fix this. I also need to replace my ranger livewell impeller/switch. The one that goes from rec/auto/empty. So I am just guessing the age is setting in.

Keep me in mind Genie, I'll be around!

Genie

I even have a nice big shop now to work on boats ... :)
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

The Genie Shop!?!

The livewell valves and/or pumps might have fishing line in them so check the ones that are there for cracked bases and/or line/pieces of soft plastic lures/etc. in them first. Sometimes fish scales get in them too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.