Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

wacky rigging

Started by karol, March 13, 2007, 09:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karol

hey guys, what size hook do you use for wacky rigging? 1/0 circle or smaller and do red hooks work better? almost got some 1/0 circle gammys at wally world but thought i'll ask the "guys" first. and would 8lb test be ok for this? do you use an o-ring and put the hook right in the ring? lots of ? but you guys help an old guy like me out..karol :)

fowlmouth

I use the daiichi octopus hook (size 4 or 2), on a 4" senko type I just match up the ends and stick it through the middle. I have seen some guys use o rings or shrink tube, I just find it faster to stick it.

Dan

I have never used the octopus hooks. When they are on this bait it doesn't seem to matter. I do use an O ring. Buy one of the tools. It only takes a second to put the O ring on and it helps save the senkos, but maybe you are in on the new pour your own club. I would love to go to their demo but it falls on my 35th wedding anniversary and we have planned a trip.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

OUTLAW

I use a 2/0 Reaction innovations WW hook. It works great for senkos.

PIGSMALLIE

outdoorkid

i like to use a 1/0 to a 3/0 strait shank hook because i find that a lot of times the larger fish dont hit as aggresively and the bigger hook is less likely to be swallowed. i also find that the red ooks dont seem to make a diffrence but they help me see the bait better when im using a natural color.

Savage

I ws using some circle hooks last year at a tournament and ran out.  I started using what I had left, just some 2/0 offset worm hooks.  They worked just fine too.  Does not really seem to matter, but those cicle hooks are nice for getting them in the corner of the mouth.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

live2fish

Try using the tool by snackdaddy to put the o ring on. I don't not have one yet but had it demo for me and am going to get one for myself real soon.

Barry

fiker

I use a red 2/0 octopus type hook.  I have in the past matched the ends, and stuck it.

I picked up one of the tools at the Xtreme booth in Lansing.  I'll give that a try along with the O rings this summer.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

kgr624

I use 2/0 red octopus hooks and I have used the O-rings straight from Gary Yamamoto and I found that they keep the bait well but it is a sucker trying to get those things on sometimes. I will probably pre rig them this year and use them a lot more to save my stick baits.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

10-10 Bass Busters

I use either 2/0 or 3/0. wide gap red.  I also use o rings.  I made my own o ring tool out of a wide ball point pen just unscrewed the section and used the top section, u can also use the top of a sharpie marker just have to cut the clip off.  Here is a great place to get o rings on ebay.  selling them for $5 for 200, and free shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/Paintball-o-rings-and-other

Bender

I have used regular EWG hooks and Gammy Finesse Wide Gap 3/0 hooks too.
Here is a post from a guy on Bass Boat Central about a cheap o-ring tool:

bought a 1/2 inch hollow fid or fids at the hardware store for .89 and put a screw in the end that you can stretch the O-rings over the head. This pic is a fid in full length of 6 inches or so. I cut off almost 3 inches and works real good.

I hope it is alright to cross post this, if not please delete it.

What size are the o-rings you are using? I am going to add some to my next mcmaster order. :)
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

REEL_MAN

I use the Owner 1/0 mosquito with the o ring. just for FYI the o ring I use ia a is a size #11. Never have used a tool, don't see a need. The #11 goes on easy, doesn't deform the senco and stays in place.

REEL MAN

bshaner

Quote from: REEL_MAN on March 15, 2007, 11:25:19 AM
I use the Owner 1/0 mosquito with the o ring. just for FYI the o ring I use ia a is a size #11. Never have used a tool, don't see a need. The #11 goes on easy, doesn't deform the senco and stays in place.

REEL MAN

^^^
What he said..

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

fiker

Wayne was recommending the #10 size O ring for 4" X worms, and the #11 for 5".
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Dan

Wayne and Snack Daddy both have a tool like the one above an O rings at the GR Show. Said they will be getting red O rings in but didn't have them today. They are selling the tool for about $6 and O rings for about a buck a package. I have the tool and it is very handy will be getting a back up.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Nitro882

I use a size 2 octapus hooks by Bass Pro. They are a little smaller than a 2/0 hook. I made the mistake of grabbing a bag of each at Bass Pro and didn't realize the size difference. They seem to get better hook sets with a smaller hook.

fish hound

anyone ever try zip ties?  i've used em for a couple years and they work great.  use the smallest size you can find, and they come in all sorts of colors.  i just snug it up, clip off the excess, and slip a 2/0 gamu finesse wide gap under it.  it usually slides up the line, especially when smallies start jumpin, and the worm lasts forever.