Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Am I an Idiot???

Started by bigjc, December 02, 2013, 11:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjc

Ok gentlemen, I am asking you to let me have it.  Tell me if you think I made a mistake; if I was a complete idiot; or just a chump;  So here is what I did...I have been wanting to upgrade my old monochrome Garmin unit on my Legend for several years now with Humminbird, but I simply have not had the cash.  Now I have tucked away a couple hundo thinking that maybe over the winter, I could come up with some extra cash.  Well, on Friday I went with my brother in law to Cabbellas.  While in there I see that one of the Black Friday deals is the Humminbird 597 ci HD DI combo, four a cool four hundred.  Now that is not the unit that I really wanted, but it is what I could afford.  So, a bird in hand or two in the bush?  ???

If I would have waited until Spring, maybe I could have come up with the cash for a 798 with Side finder technology, or maybe I would be stuck another season with my crappy Garmin junk.  Or I drop the four hundo now (birthday and Christmas money) and settle for 597 with Down imaging only. 

Let me know what you think.  Don't hold back.  This is one of those conversations that it is healthy for us to have over the winter, and maybe it will help someone else debating the same thing.  In my defense, I recently fished out of my buddies boat with the 597 and I found it to be pretty functional.

Merry Christmas Friends!

gmetime24

I have that exact unit on my boat and love it. I bought it when it was new on the market for $800 about 3 years back so that's a good price you got. I had an old black ad white unit with just sonar so this was a good upgrade for me. I have found some good fishing spots with this unit and the GPS marking helps me out big time. With just the DI you do need to spend a little more time scouting for areas compared to a SI unit to find offshore cover but it works.  One day I will get a SI unit with a bigger screen but I still have much to learn about this finder. You saved some money and made an upgrade I say nice purchase!

Redbone

I really like mine and that is a good price!

motocross269

As long as your happy with your purchase that is what really matters...... ;D

You can always consider used units...Some guys have to have the latest and greatest every cycle so you can get some great prices on just like new used units...

TimH

If you like what you purchased and you found it to be pretty functional when you used it before, than I say it was a good purchase.  I am a fan of Humminbird products in general, so I'd say I'm biased.  I'm going to be upgrading this year (hopefully) and I honestly haven't even been looking at any of the side imaging units.  Just getting an updated unit with down imaging will be a significant upgrade for me, so I just can't justify the extra cash.  Plus, I realize that I still have a lot to learn with properly reading my electronics and down imaging, so until I feel 100% comfortable with that, I don't want to add side imaging into the mix.

Waterfoul

That is a great unit at a great price.  Hope you pulled the trigger, you will not be dissapointed.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigjc

You all are too kind.  I was expecting to here from everyone with the 10 inch side imaging units, telling me what a mistake it was not to take the plunge and get SI.

Oh well, for now it is a good upgrade for my 8 year old rig.

Got Fish??

That is a vary nice unit. Dose the unit help you find fish? Is the screen big and clear? Was it at the right price? Would the more expensive one , make fishing more fun? Usually your first choice is the right choice.

capt charlie's charters

would've held out for the 798 ( which I did ) so you could interlink with a 788 on the bow.  though after the first season (2012) it worked great, at the beginning of 2013 I'm having problems with both units and their only one season old.

won't interlink, 798 will freeze in horizontal lines when restarting the big motor, I actually have to turn off the boat's power switch in order to turn off the 798 and the 788 is picking up disturbance from the Minn Kota, which it didn't before.

capt

bigjc

Well, when I first started debating this issue in my mind, I was going back and forth on the 798 vs. the larger 898.  I felt that the 798 was a bit small.  But since putting a 4.5 inch humminbird color combo at the bow, a couple of years age, I have decided that I can live with the smaller unit for now.

djkimmel

You're way ahead of me. I'm jealous.

Does that make you feel better? :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

bigjc, if I worried about every deal I passed up because I had my heart set on something else, I think I'd drive myself out of my mind. I say go with what you really want and try to find it for the best price you can get it for. You can't go wrong that way.

BD.                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigjc

The other piece of the equation is that I have to answer to my wife...

Skulley

I got one of those. I feel your pain. But I'd still get what I want......eventually. Begging helps.

BD.                   ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigjc

I usually do too.  Marriage is teaching me patience.

Skulley

Wait until you have some kids!! That's a real lesson in patience.

BD.                         

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigjc

Check my photos again, bro...I have four of them!  :o

djkimmel

You've got that covered pretty well!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

t-bone

I had a friend that would never by a new PC because he was always waiting for the next generation. Thus, he never bought a new PC. I agree that you should just pull the trigger and get what you can afford.

Quote from: UAWBigDog on December 14, 2013, 07:24:15 AM
bigjc, if I worried about every deal I passed up because I had my heart set on something else, I think I'd drive myself out of my mind. I say go with what you really want and try to find it for the best price you can get it for. You can't go wrong that way.

BD.                     ;D
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Rangerman

You will love your Bird, smooth operating and the price you got was a deal deal ;D if any of you other guys are looking for Bird's of any size an are members of TBF you can purchase thru them at a great price, also MK Trolling Motors. Rigging a new boat soon I hope and price was unbeatable.