Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:17:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

More Co-Angler Questions

Started by Langer, March 13, 2007, 10:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langer

So I just got done reading CuradoKev's execellent post on being a Co-Angler. After reading it I got to thinking about some other items, if I should bring them or not. I will be fishing the BFL as a Co-Angler for the 1st time this year.

Fish Hedz Mask or Helmet: I know not everyone has a dual console boat, so this would be nice to have, but do you leave this item at home to save space and limit gear?

Weigh in Bag: Does BFL provide the clear plastic bags for weigh in or do you need to bring your own? If you bring you own do you leave it in the truck until you return or make it part of your gear?

Cull System: Should you bring your own cull system for marking fish? And if so should you customise them incase your boater has the same kind?

Rejuvanate or Please Release Me: do you bring your own livewill products to use?

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but Im sure I'll think of some more. Thanks, for the Help!

Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

Skip Johnson

on the bigger lake tournaments like the BFL you will most likeley make a long run so I would recomend a fish hedz or a good pair of glasses and a ski mask a helmet takes up too much room.

BFL provides weigh in bags and I think they prefer you used theres so they dont get too many fish in line in bags for too long for mortality purposes but it couldnt hurt to have one in your vehicle for backup.

I would recommend a cull system and the livewells should be seperated so dont worry about what kind of cull system and rejuvinate is a good idea to bring, you only need a couple cap fulls so you can put it in a small container or plastic bag to save space just ask your boater first before using it he may have a livewell with shared water and a divider in the middle and have his own preferred additive or run freshwater in while fishing diluting your additive and making it useless.
Go Big or Go Home!

SethV

In the BFL you must use the BFL provided bags.  Can't use your own.

Bring your own culling system.  As for aditives, bring them along, but ask the boater first before you dump them into the livewells.

Like Cast N Blast said, on the bigger waters a mask/helmet is a good idea.  Ask your boater at the meeting if you will be making a long run or in big water.  Also do NOT forget rain gear.  I have a spare suit in my boat, but I have seen some really miserable guys who forgot the Gore-Tex, even on sunny days Erie gets you wet.

Have fun!!!   ;D

Seth

motocross269

When you say culling system do you guys mean bring your own cull beam or scale....or do you just mean the tags????
I hope I have the opportunity to Cull alot!!!!!! LOL
Good questions Langer...I was wondering some of the same things myself. 
I am thinking about getting a small boaters bag to put my rain suit...fish hedz..and a few small things in...Do  you Tx Vets think that would be too much...(That way it the stuff would stay dry) 

CuradoKev

No helmet, takes up too much room. Fish-hed if you want.

I bring a balance beam, a culling system takes up too much room. Besides I figure if I get a limit I'm happy enough  ;D If I'm culling I'll use the beam. You could bring one float with clip to attach to your smallest bass so you can cull the lowest very easy.

REJUVENADE REJUVENADE is AWESOME - Do NOT dump chemicals into boaters livewell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the boater do it !! You screw up and kill his fish and you may be swimming back from Pelee.  ;D I've seen rejuvanade bring fish back to life, no kidding  ;)

curadokev at yahoo dot com if you have any questions.

Kev

SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

Team houston

I wear my rainsuit rain or shine, August or April. when I get hot I take it off. Never had a problem stuffing it into a storage space the boater will provide. Learned a loooong time ago you can get wet on the best of days. Thats just me though.

McCarter

I am the same way.  I usually have mine on all day, unless its really hot out.  On the big water, even if its 80, the breeze will still get ya, especially when your running.  Add to that the spray from the waves and it can be down right chilly out there even on warm/hot days.

Plus, with the boat problems i was having the last couple years, rain gear was a must.  Wearing the lifejacket full time and keeping a pair of water wings handy was also necesarry. 

As far as Save Phace masks, dude, they fit anywhere.  Always bring it along.  I have sold masks to a lot of co anglers.  The thing that always convinces them is i tell them they are basically a portable second console.  If there boater has a single console boat, they are completely protected from the elements with a mask.  Helmets are nice too, but they take up 3 times as much space.  and if your boater has to scream something to you while running, your not going to hear him in a helmet.

As far as livewell additives, talk to your guy the night before.  If he doesnt use them ask if he minds if you bring some.  If he does use them, dont worry about it.  I know there are some exceptions, but most guys will accomodate you for small things like that.  If he is putting it in anyway, your covered if he has a split livewell.  If he has a seperate livewell, just ask if he minds if you bring your own.  If you really want, bring the bottle or a couple little packets with you and he doesnt want you to put it in the livewell, fill a weigh in bag up with fresh water, add the sauce and then put your fish in the bag for a couple minutes to 'rejuvenate' them.  then put them back in the livewell with fresh water.  Its a stretch, but if your in a situation where your fish are fading fast, it could be the differnce between weighing in 5 alive, or taking a hefty penalty.

McCarter himself :-\'

MBell

I've agreed with all of the responses.  I keep back-up culling tags on my boat that are different than mine, I always offer them to the co-angler.  I also share the balance beam and have a paper and pen in the glove box to write down weights.  I try and share as much as I can with my co-angler, the less they need the less they need to bring.  I don't have separate live wells so I would not want my co to add any different chemicals, I use please release me.   
-Matt

jcox7

Who needs a mask?  Keep fish alive with chemicals come on.... What else were you asking cull tags if I was still a co angler I hope you wouldnt need them.  You might want to bring a rod though I heard that they work well on Erie I wouldnt know though I use C-4 my boater use to get a little antsy at first and unfortunatly those chemicals you believe in are trash they never helped me.  One last thing if you decide to try the C-4 bring Duct Tape that stuff is amazing.  Just think about the wendys commercial ARE YOU A FISH???

josh617

hey cox, now that your going Big Time  ;), u may need some of that C-4 to put some fish in your boat. ;D as for me, i m still stuck catching my boaters bed fish. ;D on a more serious note, i got that form from dennis, i ll call u when i get a price.

blakstr1

Always remember the Savephace (FishHedz) mask...heck in the spring I've kept mine on while fishing a few times.  They are like nothing else (shameless plug) Check them out at the upcoming Fishing Extravaganza at Wonderland Marine West!!.  ;D Always remember your rain suit and life jacket (if the boater has one and offers it to you fine but don't rely on someone elses life jacket).  I figure there is always room to stow clothing items somewhere in the boat, so as far as tackle I limit it to a bag with boxes that is compact enough to fit under my legs while i'm seated, so yeah tucked nicely away under the console if its a dual.  I usually shoot for 4 rods, maybe 5 if its not too congested.  Bring you own clippers and pliers and cull tags.  Bring a lunch, but check with the boater about cooler size, you may have to leave some thing behind.  All-in-all just remember to communicate with the boater prior to blast off, accomodate where you can as the boater should do the same.  It's a lot of fun to fish with new people so keep a positive attitude and enjoy the experience.  ;)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

5alive

Learn how to net, and be prepared to get the net fast. Have fun and be as courteous as possible, make the best out of any draw you get good or bad.
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

Durand Dan

I've found that netting is one of the most important issues. Some like to steer the fish into the net, some believe that the net in the water scares the fish and still others like to net their own. It's a good thing to discuss before hand

REEL_MAN

going as a co-angler for a number of years is good training to become a boater. As a co-angler I tried not to rely on my boater for anything. I know the boater has enough to think about than take care of the co-angler. I alway provided the Rejunevanaid BUT let the boater treat his fish and if the live wells shared water he still did the treating unless he said go ahead. Like SethV I have a spare rain suit along with a life vest and have shared it with those that forget. The boater doesn't have to provide anything but the ride, but most go way beyond to make it pleasent and a fun day. :D
Good luck this year

REEL MAN

smbassman

YES - netting is a major topic that needs to be discussed the night before or while waiting for your blastoff.  Personally, I like the net set in the water when the fish comes to the surface and I will pull the fish into the net.

My first BFL as a co-angler almost ended horribly with my boater's best fish.  He had it up to the surface and I held the net still waiting for him to lead the fish to the net.  Then he yelled to "NET HIM!" and I went after the fish, spooking it into a tail walk that bounced him off the side of the net.  Luckily the hook stayed in but I felt sick for an hour.