Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Please say a prayer for my friend Larry Dekker

Started by djkimmel, January 21, 2006, 12:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Last night I went to bed nervous but hopeful because my best friend Larry Dekker was recovering from surgery and had been cleared of cancer - a rare cancer of the biliary duct that had been blocking his liver. He was sore from the exploratory surgery, but relieved and might be coming home from Mayo on Monday. He did mention they said his liver was worse off than they had thought.

He has struggled with severe jaundice, itching, pancreatitis and several boughts of large weight loss over the past few years. He also developed severe diabetes during this time.

This morning I woke up and they had moved him from 20th on the transplant list to first and they had a liver already. So right now he is going through a complete liver and duct transplant. Sharon said they both were handling it well and he went in with a lot of hope that things were finally going to improve. He now has a much better chance at a future of more fishing and enjoyment of life.

Some reading here know Larry Dekker. For those who don't, he's an avid bass tournament angler and past president of the Michigan BASS federation. Larry is like a brother and a father to me. He was my best man at my wedding (he almost made me late too...). Please think positive thoughts for him today. He has a long road ahead of him now, but at least there's a road there... Thanks.

If you know Larry and you know other people who would want to hear this news, please pass it on for me.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dhuff

I sure hope he gets better.  I know the feeling.  I have a very close person to the family that may have to go in for a liver transplant real soon as well.  she was moved from down the list to up twoards the top in a hurry here lately.  Hope he gets through it ok to be able to spend more time on the water and with his family and friends.

djkimmel

Thank you. He was actually pretty excited about it in a way because now he may be recovered enough to fish a few tournaments this summer... You got to love the angler spirit.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

yukonjack2

Dan:

If you get to chat with him soon, send my best from I fellow angler.  I too have been down that road with family members and cancer, and its really tough.  I don't know him, but let him know we'll meet out on the water later this year.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

djkimmel

cwinsiii

I hope for the best.

If there is a place cards can be sent let everybody know.

djkimmel

Thanks so much everyone who has posted and/or said prayers and sent positive thoughts.

Larry's surgery went almost perfect. He was out of surgery in less than 5 hours. He woke up at 5 PM yesterday and said he had to pee (sorry for the language). Cracked everyone up.

He is recovering very fast and everything so far has gone better than expected. They say he may even be out of ICU tomorrow.

As soon as everything is stabilized and expected schedules are known, I'll post more information. Thanks again fellow anglers.

yukonjack2

great news dan - if you would like copies of my BASS, or flw magazines for him to catch up on, they are available - just let me know.

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

djkimmel

That's a great idea - I'll check with him in a couple days. I got to talk to him for about 1 minute today - which was great! He sounded very tired and a little ragged, but he told me to get over to his house and fix his computer!!! And he said he already had a box of latex gloves he has to wear before he can handle any bass (he'll be on anti-rejection drugs for a while).

He's not coming home for 3 to 4 weeks... but I better have that computer fixed before he gets home!! ;D

MBell

Glad to hear things went well, get that computer fixed! 
-Matt

Pkleppert

Dan,

Give Larry my best, glad to hear he is doing well.  I shared a boat with him once on the Saginaw River for a Federation tournament.  It was too rough to go out into the bay so we stayed in the river.  We all sucked but Kevin caught them and won Angler of the year.  The rest is history.  Tell him to get better and that we expect to see him this summer.

Pat

spinninbug

Dan,  any new news on your friend Larry?  My prayers are with him and his family.  Hope he's doing well.
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

djkimmel

Thanks again everyone. I talked to Larry tonight. He sounded Great! 10x better than Sunday and he stayed on the phone for about 10 minutes. He is having his biopsy to check for rejection tomorrow. He is recovering so well and they expect an all clear.

They will actually ship him out of the hospital on Friday at this rate to a local apartment in Rochester MN for 3 more weeks before he comes home to Lansing.

His doctor said he would be fishing a lot this summer the way things are looking.

I told Larry he must be doing something right to get a new liver the first day he is on the list. AMAZING! He was in a good enough mood he even said I had time yet to fix his computer :D

He told me he asked his doctor if he should wear a brace this summer to 'keep everything that has been moved around in place' and the doctor cracked up pretty good. He actually told Larry he could sumo wrestle by summer if he wanted too with 'moving anything around more...' I just don't think Larry would look good in the diapers...;D

spinninbug

Glad to hear the fishing Gods have been with him.  Nice to hear he's doing well.
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

djkimmel

Talked to Larry again today - he sounded great, but tired. Why? He actually walked around Wal-Mart today for a few minutes! Amazing! He's in his apartment in Minnesota now. Sharon is coming back to Lansing tomorrow.

Great News!!! He passed his first biopsy - no rejection. Very important. All other tests are within expected levels so far.

He tells me he has plenty of magazines to read, but he is thankful people are thinking of him. If you wish to send cards, please send them to Larry's home and Sharon will take care of them:
Larry Dekker
3700 Ronald St
Lansing, MI  48911

Thanks again to everyone who has cared about this.