Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Woooeee, lookit that toad!

Started by Savage, January 21, 2006, 11:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite slang term for a big bass?

Lunker
0 (0%)
Toad
6 (30%)
Pig
11 (55%)
Horse
0 (0%)
Brute
0 (0%)
Bruiser
0 (0%)
Hog
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Savage

Yeah, I must be bored to be putting this one up ;D but hey, we gotta have some fun.  I need to add a few terms to my fishing dictionary, so feel free to let us know if you have any inventive names to add to the pile.  For example, I heard a guy call them "slobs" on a show once.  I told my wife it sounded stupid and degrading to the bass, so of course now that's what she calls them!

Anyway, even if you have a good name for the little ones (dinks, squealers, half-pints) you can add them to the list, too.

Have fun with this one guys! :D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

Maybe we need a 2nd poll for the wee bass? The only problem I see is having McCarters and Cheetams on both lists being confusing...

I was thinking we were missing: good ol' big'un and big ol' good'un...? But we are mostly Yankees here...:D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I've been saying toad a lot because of all the smallie fishing I've been doing. I usually call largemouths something else - like hawg/hog. I've been tempted to say MONSTER, but I don't want to be accused of being an Ike-poser...:D

I tried to stop saying toad when members of our Michigan state team in Green Bay (when we womped all comers soundly) found out we were causing an international incident with French-Canadian members of the Ontario team. The more I thought about not doing it, the more I did it. Now, I can't stop... jeez!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Cheetam

Quote from: djkimmel on January 21, 2006, 02:32:00 PM
Maybe we need a 2nd poll for the wee bass? The only problem I see is having McCarters and Cheetams on both lists being confusing...

No confusion here...we are talking about big bass, so McCarters shouldn't be used in the same breath as pig, hog, toad, or Cheetams... :D

My pick though...gotta go with Pig.
Jeff

yukonjack2

ok guys - I think I've used all of them at one time or another - no real clearcut favorite. Anyone know where the origin of Toad comes from?

heard it used, but not sure why?

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Savage

I think "toad" just sounds right.... it fits, you know?  Maybe because they look like a big 'ol fat toad? ???
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

McCarter

I just got a call from Mike Iaconelli.  He was browsing the forum and requested that GIANT be added to the list.

Ok, Ike didnt really call me.  But after watching that guy on a few shows, i cant help but call a big fish a Giant ( that is unless i am fishing with Jeff, in which case all big fish of the day are refered to as McCarters )

PoorBoy himself :-\'

joshimoto son

Poorboy,

Was your reference to Ike's use of the term "Giant" slated for your poll, or the one that Dan suggested for the "wee bass"?

Chuckle Chuckle

Josh

McCarter

I had to sneak the truth about the McCarter/Cheetam confusion in there.

:D

PoorBoy himself :-\'

DOWD

My partner and I use "Toad Em's", meaning multiple Lake Erie biggins are in the box ready for the scale.

djkimmel

I can't even do the Ike-poser right. I said MONSTER and I should have said GIANT!!!! Heck, all the Great Lakes smallies feel like GIANTS to me when you hook 'em.

Steve

How about

Rosie O'Donnell's

or

Oprah's

Skulley

I am kind of partial to "HAWG".? ?But I have also called them Pigs, Brutes, Toads, etc.? I guess it depends on what day it is as to what I may call a big fish.?
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Vic Cerabone

I voted for "Pig", but I am also fond of "Friggin' Monster!"  ;D

Vic
NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details07.php?division_id=88

C-Sports Optical Pro Staff - Rx Sunglasses

225XS4Garza200PXL

I'm gonna have to agree with Vic... I use the term "Pig Smallie" quite a bit...
Jose Garza

Guide and Tournament Angler - Book a Trip Today!!
www.josegarzafishing.com

Stratos Boats - The Performance Company
www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West
www.wonderlandmarinewest.com

Provider Tackle - Pro's Choose It, We Supply It!
www.providertackle.com

Nemesis Baits - Hand Poured Goodness in Every Bag!
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

Bronzeback5LBER

If I don't say pig,I usually just say "Oh My God! Oh My God"
I ain't as good as I once was, but I was good once as I ever was

Savage

Well, "pig" has taken a clear lead, I'm kinda surprised.  I was always fond of "get the net!"  That's what I always seem to say when I see one. ;D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

Mentioning "get the net" reminds me that is actually where I first heard of the "hack attack" ... I'm referring to one of my team partners who shall remain nameless (he can take me...) :o