Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

drop shot help!

Started by korean_bassmaster, October 15, 2013, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markgoetsch

Always a swivel especially in current and deep water. The key is don't use cheap swivels buy highend ball bearing swivels and use bigger ones that won't go through your guides.  Again people always get crazy about fish being line shy and seeing hooks and such.  I don't think the fish put that much thought into it.  Heck I've even seen a smallie attack a maple leaf floating down the river!

markgoetsch

Quote from: Waterfoul on October 17, 2013, 10:14:31 AM
Quote from: 32eml24 on October 17, 2013, 08:53:22 AM
All good reasons. So then are you reeling the uni to uni knot through any guides at all? How long of a flouro leader do you use?

I might do it a little different than some... I grab the spool of floro and pull off 2 arm lengths... so about 6-8 feet or so.  And yes, the knot often goes thru several guides but the way I cast my drop shot is different than most.  I more or less flip it underhand by grabbing the weight, loading up the end of the rod, and "flipping" it out.  Very accurate this way since I often target docks and isolated cover with my drop shot.  You will never see me thow it overhand... side arm maybe but never over hand/head.  I once had the weight come back and snap off the end of my rod when casting it overhand.

If that is mostly what you do with it why not use a baitcaster to pitch to docks and cover?

Waterfoul

Quote from: markgoetsch on October 17, 2013, 08:23:39 PM
Quote from: Waterfoul on October 17, 2013, 10:14:31 AM
Quote from: 32eml24 on October 17, 2013, 08:53:22 AM
All good reasons. So then are you reeling the uni to uni knot through any guides at all? How long of a flouro leader do you use?

I might do it a little different than some... I grab the spool of floro and pull off 2 arm lengths... so about 6-8 feet or so.  And yes, the knot often goes thru several guides but the way I cast my drop shot is different than most.  I more or less flip it underhand by grabbing the weight, loading up the end of the rod, and "flipping" it out.  Very accurate this way since I often target docks and isolated cover with my drop shot.  You will never see me thow it overhand... side arm maybe but never over hand/head.  I once had the weight come back and snap off the end of my rod when casting it overhand.

If that is mostly what you do with it why not use a baitcaster to pitch to docks and cover?

I can only throw a bait caster for short periods most days due to lingering effects (arthritis) from a stroke in 2006.  I just don't have the strength in my left hand anymore.  Sucks in Missouri when we throw alabama rigs a lot.  I have to rotate constantly to a spinning rod.  And, I suck at baitcasting with my right hand!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

markgoetsch

Well that's a good reason.

Big dreams

You would lose sensitivity if you used a baitcaster.  Spinning rods are so much more sensitive.

jjjmpv22

Quote from: 32eml24 on October 17, 2013, 03:22:00 PM
Very enlightening thanks for sharing. Something im aiming to get into this fall on natural lakes.

I feel drop shot can be used on all kinds of lakes. I have had great success fishing the drop shot on almost every body of water I have tried it on.

markgoetsch

Quote from: Big dreams on October 18, 2013, 08:56:49 AM
You would lose sensitivity if you used a baitcaster.  Spinning rods are so much more sensitive.

Absolutely not.  If you have an equally quality baitcaster as your DS rod I would say you have more sensitivity with a baitcaster and you can place your cast more accurately.  I DS with a baitcaster often (even in open water) and I like the added control when you're dealing with bigger fish.

Team houston

I totally agree with the post right above.

Redbone

I disagree.

I place my hand on the rod above the reel. This gives it almost perfect balance. It also puts my hand directly on the blank of the rod ahead of the reel seat.

With that being said, my partner uses a bait casting rod with success.

bigmojet

With  a spinning rod I always keep a finger on the line right off the spool mouth for sensitivity. I like using Fenwick spinning rods cause the have a longer fore grip which I can put my whole hand in front of reel when vertical fishing.

PineLk 49

Do you guys use braid flouro combo on clear lakes? I am one of those guys that believe that line is everything on clear water. I use flouro 8# only because it is a confidence thing.

Will you use a longer leader with braid in this situation or is set up the same?

Dave

bigmojet

This year I ran 6# 832 suffix braid with 6' 6# Berkeley 100% floro tied with double uni with good success. In the spring I caught a lot of big fish with no breakage issues.

I would usually tie a new leader each time out though cuz knot running thru guides always bugged me.

bigjc

Quote from: 32eml24 on October 17, 2013, 07:37:08 AM
Just out of curiosity, is the yellow line to more easily detect bites or what?

Not sure about drop shotting, but for vertical jigging for walleye in the Detroit River, I use nothing but yellow high vis. braid.  Reason is that it is so easy to see in any weather condition, which aids in maintaining boat control.

Waterfoul

Quote from: PineLk 49 on October 18, 2013, 04:57:48 PM
Do you guys use braid flouro combo on clear lakes? I am one of those guys that believe that line is everything on clear water. I use flouro 8# only because it is a confidence thing.

Will you use a longer leader with braid in this situation or is set up the same?

Dave

I use it everywhere, in every water condition.  With a 6' leader your bait is about 5' from the braid and there isn't a fish in a lake that will NOT hit your bait because of that braid up the line.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!