Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:56:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Where to fish pre-season?

Started by TCook, March 08, 2007, 04:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCook

what lakes do you guys fish in northern Indiana up until michigans opening day? Or is there any michigan lakes that are open early? I need to find some water to fish legally for bass until the season opens.

Tim
FISH HARD!!!

Revtro

Unfortunately they closed the MI lakes that were open early when they set the new CIR season.  Seems kind of silly too because years of fishing those 6 lakes early didn't seem to hurt anything.  But at least we get to fish the whole state a little earlier.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Durand Dan

I've fished James and Sylvan as soon as early as mid Feb in Northern Indiana. It's just a few hours drive. The high thee to day is supposed to be 52°. They should have some soft water soon.

thedude

wawasee & syracuse, maxinkuckee or st joe river in IN. ;)
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

1javelin

Quote from: thedude on March 09, 2007, 08:51:51 PM
or st joe river in IN. ;)
St. Joe River in Indy?  Is it half as dangerous as here?  If it's feasible, I'm all in for some smallies!!!! :P :P :P
Live to fish, Fish to live.

thedude

maggies landing in Mishawaka is right above the dam.. you can run several miles up stream before it turns into "st. joe" river. Fishes more like a lake than a river in that area and you get more current/shallower  as you head up stream. I've fished 40 boat FOM tournies there.  The big smallies are typically caught way up stream where not everyone can get to. but there's plenty of LM and SM in the lower stretches too. Expect a lot of 11 3/4 inch fish (size limit is 12" lol).

i might sneak out there on the 31st with an old buddy or 2 from IN...... unless Lasalle FWA is thawed out...
lasalle is about an hour SW of South bend on the kankakee river.... they have a diked river bayou that is all wood and swamp.... shallow w/ a dark bottom... prespawn there can be really good... i saw a 9lber come out of there a few years back. i'd take a tin boat & trollin motor though if i were you ;)
Palehorse Custom Rods

1javelin

Tin boat won't work, since I don't have one.  20' Javelin w/ a 200 horse Johnson work???? :o :-\'  Sounds like a few options.  I like the river fishing like a lake part.  How hard is it to navigate upriver, and will it really be that hard right now with all of the rain and snow melting and the water levels being so high?

Chewy

I'm curious about James Lake.  I was surfing and found they have a State Park there that has hotel rooms and a pool.  I was wondering if anyone has been there before.  Would it be an OK place to take the family while I fished in James?  And one final question, does it have smallies?  Thanks for any help on this.

Jeff Nieuwenhuis     

thedude

Quote from: 1javelin on March 10, 2007, 01:25:48 PM
Tin boat won't work, since I don't have one.  20' Javelin w/ a 200 horse Johnson work???? :o :-\'  Sounds like a few options.  I like the river fishing like a lake part.  How hard is it to navigate upriver, and will it really be that hard right now with all of the rain and snow melting and the water levels being so high?

from the ramp to about a mile upstream its more like a lake.  plenty of depth too. Once you get up into the river you just stick to the middle and you'll be fine. I ran 19' avalanche all over no worries.... if it were july you'd be fighting of skiers if that puts things into perspective. I've run up as far as the hospital (i think its a hospital..nice concrete breakwall fyi ;) )

here's the dam... the launch is in the middle of the pic an you have to head east to fish...
Palehorse Custom Rods

dhuff

Yes, Lake James does have smallies and some really nice ones at that.  I have fished down there quite a bit also Rufus may be coming in on this one he lives not to far from there.  He was the NBAA director one of the years for the Lake James division that my buddy and I used to go down and fish.  You can get to 6 lakes that are on the chain.  All of them offer some pretty decent fishing.  Summer time TONS of boats and jet skiers.  Once ice gets off there is some good fishing to be had.  I always enjoyed going down there and fishing, there is water to suit anyones style.

macbass

chewy the park at lake james also has cabins you can rent also not just the motel and it is a real nice place and right on the water..deer will come right up to the cabin doors

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

1javelin

Might have to try that sooner than I want too!!!  Still need to be spending money on gear and tackle, not on gas, oil, and being on the water.

Chewy

I appreciate the insight on the park.  It really looks like a nice place and reasonably priced.  Too bad Michigan does not have anything like that.  Hope to get down there during the prespawn/spawn.  Thanks again.

Duke

There's a nice article on the St. Joe River on this site. Just go to the homepage and look at the articles. I think I met the author once - nothing short of a spectacular guy!! ;)
Duke

TCook

Looks like me and my partner 1javelin will try to fish maggies landing section of the St. Joe wednesday assuming the ice is off. We would go tommorrow but gotta get our rods and the boat ready, and get an indiana license. Any advice on what to do out there this early in the year? Im thinking gold buddies and Jigs might get a few bites.

Tim
FISH HARD!!!

thedude

its good cranking/jerkin water.

might try a big roadkill colored tube on a light jig too.

ice should be good... el rio grande here in GR is wide open now.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Duke

Buddies can be a good choice, but you'll lose a lot of them and/or catch a lot of limbs. Jerkbaits would be a good choice. Look for areas that have a break from current. Slow moving baits might be the ticket as well, such as small tubes and/or jigs. I'm heading out Sunday, but I expect the bass action to be real slow.

I have heard that the current is very strong right now so be careful and wear your lifejacket!
Duke

rufus

Chewy,
I sent you a PM on Lake James. I live in northern Indiana and fish most of the lakes so if anyone is venturing this way for some early fishing let me know and I will help out as much as I can.

PIGSMALLIE

Best place would be Six Span stretch of the St. Joe River.

TCook

Going to fish somewhere in Indiana on Sunday was thinking the maggies stretch of the Joe. Has anyone been there if so whats the current like, and what pattern were they on?
FISH HARD!!!