Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

z521c pro xs 250

Started by JB, September 19, 2013, 11:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB

Anyone running one?  Reviews on its performance and prop suggestions would be interesting to read
Thx

djkimmel

I really liked the Z21 but the anglers I know who have the Z500 series claim they believe they are a superior hull. If you've ever run any 500 series hull and like it then you will like the Z521.

Some anglers wanted a little more speed and/or a slightly shorter boat on the theory they could run troughs on the Great Lakes easier so they were going for the Z520 hull. I liked the extra length to run over the tops of waves with a little more size to them when the troughs weren't really that great for running (Lake St. Clair on a busy weekend). When I was fishing the Great Lakes a lot, there wasn't so many chances to worry about running all out anyway, and now I would prefer more comfort over a tiny bit more speed considering gas prices and that I don't fish tournaments.

I have a Yamaha so someone else may be able to offer prop suggestions but some of that depends on where you will most likely be driving the rig most often and what is most important to you as far as speed versus handling?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

JB

fishhound

Ive got a 521C with a 250 pro XS on order this very moment. Ill let you know how it works.

PineLk 49

Quote from: fishhound on November 15, 2013, 12:49:28 PM
Ive got a 521C with a 250 pro XS on order this very moment. Ill let you know how it works.
I am extremely jealous aaaand need a new job. Congrats!!! Look forward to hear how she runs.

Dave

djkimmel

Looks like I 'helped' my good friend decide on a Z521c with a 250 also. I would have gone for the Yamaha but he is going Mercury same as fishhound. He'll be breaking it in next spring. A truck driver going too fast helped him 'break in' his last Ranger 522 that he thought he'd grow old in. (I really, really wish people would slow down just a little ...just a little - it would save lives, vehicles and a few bass boats.)

The NEW Z521c is actually a bigger (5 or 7 inches longer than last year), sharper boat. Huge front deck. Big back deck. Lots of storage. Flexible electronics. Those soft seats I wish my boat had. New hull with very wide beam (wider than the Z522). It looks faster sitting on the show room floor. To me, it is always the fishability, which Ranger's excel at, and of course, the longevity since some of us do keep our bass boats for a long, long time.

My friend loved his 522 and was really thinking about getting another one but the NEW Z521c looks as big and it looks hotter! So he's pulling the trigger. I'll have to teach him how to drive it, of course... ::)

With the new engines, I think prop selection has been simplified. Very few are going with 4-blade props anymore. Even when I got my Yamaha HPDI 225 back in October 2003 Yamaha told me they had designed their new 3-blade prop specifically for the increased torque and it has worked out fine for me for the mix of a little speed now and then all the way to being in waves on the Great Lakes I wish I wasn't in.

There are probably some anglers on here who are still going to be real particular about props maybe even for new motors but I'm not sure you'll gain much.

I was a little surprised to see they're putting 10" jack plates on the big hull with a built-in setback. Appears there are several reasons for that including clearance for hoses and things from the motor into the hull with the new hull shape, beam and angles. They're putting hydraulic jack plates on many of them but you can be fine with a manual plate if you don't have many reasons to be changing the height a lot (lots of shallow water - raise it up - or running often in real rough water - drop it down).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.