Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Elite Series Thoughts

Started by dartag, August 25, 2013, 05:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

So who attended.  I went yesterday to watch the boats come in and did watch the weigh in for a bit.  Crowd was not as big as I thought it would be.   Standing on the docks I watched Skeet Reese walking around since he was not fishing and no one knew who he was.  I was parked next to his truck which is a sweet ride.  Other pros that didn't make the cut were there also. Most went unnoticed.  When KVD and JVD pulled in they drew the biggest crowd. Did not see any of the local news stations there.  Not sure who there media people are but to me they could have done a little better.

djkimmel

I ran into quite a few friends and GreatLakesBass 'ers this weekend at the event! Great to see so many of you come through!

There was a number of local news there today. I sat next to Detroit Free Press writer and a photographer. There was an Oakland paper reporter sitting on the other side of me. Various staff and anglers were interviewed on camera by various news outlets several times both Saturday and Sunday. Detroit News was there getting interviews and pics on Saturday.

There was a number of online news persons there and a number of people I didn't recognize so I'm not sure what outlets they represented. I just know they weren't B.A.S.S. employees or camera persons but they had media passes.

Prior to the Sunday weigh in, most news persons came in, did their scheduled pieces or grabbed who they wanted and left, so unless you were there all day and in numerous places at once, you wouldn't likely have seen them. Too much going on and some of them were behind the scenes depending upon the editorial need.

I spent time off and on around the B.A.S.S. media people for various reasons so I heard them talking about who was scheduled to be on camera when and for whom sometimes, or who was looking for whom to hook them up with a reporter or camera crew.

I also ran into Julian Gonzalez Sunday and knew he shoots pics for the Detroit Free Press since he is at many of the U of M football games and cameraguy knows him real well (I had to tell him who I was because I'm just a lowly utility at the football games and no one notices who utilities are because you don't have a big camera in your hands!! ;D ). I helped Julian track down KVD and tried to track down JVD - the anglers were moving around talking to fans, doing some interviews and working at sponsor booths. Julian has covered lots of pro sports but never pro fishing before. Nice guy who takes great pictures. He was the one who sat on the other side of the Detroit Free Press outdoor writer Lydia Lohrer next to me, and I did my best to help them get the right names, stats and who was fishing where for their report and pictures. They stayed for the entire weigh in Sunday and I must say that Lydia cheered as loud as anyone in the crowd! She's a fishing Michigan fan!

My primary interest now is trying to get B.A.S.S. back to Michigan as soon as possible and I hope to learn from this event to make future events more likely. I'd appreciate any help anyone has to offer. Starting with a big turnout and lots of excitement in Muskegon September 27-29!! See you there!!!

REMEMBER - Bassmaster.com/Vote!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

I watched the st lawerence event last night they had huge crowds.  Hopefully they will be back. Muskegon will be interesting. Be watching your reports from the couch.

t-bone

Unfortunately I had a tournament up north and then had to move in my daughter in her dorm Sunday. The weekend was shot.

The closest I got was the pros were at the Carhartt office across the street from my work on Wednesday night.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Skulley

I sure do wish I could have gone. 19 years ago I was able to attend the final day of the BP Top 100 that Stricker won. My daughter was just born that year.

BD.                      ;D

(I like Kim a lot so I fixed his name spelling - though having it be 'Stryker' sounds like the Bassmasters is being fished by a league of superheroes member! ;D Dan)
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

YpsiBass

I went on Saturday.  Ended up getting a picture and shaking hands with Skeet Reese.  He was surprisingly friendly and easily approachable.  Got a hat signed by Mike Iaconelli too which was pretty cool. Watched most of the weigh-in.  So many of the early weigh-ins were 20+ pound bags and then after that it tapered off.  Didn't realize Nate Wellman was from Michigan too.  Signed up for a bunch of contests and got some free swag.  Went for a ride in a brand new Nitro Z7 too.  Talked to Dan for a bit, but almost didn't recognize him without the 'stache.  Saw Laporte there too which is always a good thing.  Definitely want to try marshaling next year.

Two things that will stick in my mind though. One, Rick Clunn was a real downer and had the theme music to go with it. Two, and I can't remember who it was, but one of the pros at weigh-in was complaining about how difficult it was on the water.  You would think that if your given profession is fishing for a living, you'd be a bit more enthusiastic about it.

TimH

I hade been looking forward to this event since it was announced over one year ago.  It was an incredible week with many great experiences.  Some of the highlights were dinner with Ott DeFoe, working the weigh in on Thursday, Marshaling on Friday in Jason Christie's boat, getting my picture taken with Edwin Evers, Mark Zona, and Casey Martin (FLW Rookie) and meeting just about every pro over the four days.  The BASS staff does an incredible job making the events what they are, and I am extremely grateful for all they do.

My only disapointment was the response from the greater community.  Most people didn't know or didn't care about what was going on.  I understand that not everyone is a fisherman or a fan of pro fishing, but events like this need to be supported an celebrated as much as possible.  These type of events or not only a financial boost for the area, but a good way to not only promote Macomb County and Michigan, but the sport of bass fishing as well.

I loved this event so much, the first thing I did this morning was make reservations at a Muskegon hotel to attend the All Star Event.

Kimmel, I agree with you about my primary interest is getting BASS back to Michigan as soon as possible, so let me know if I can be of any help.

djkimmel

Quote from: dartag on August 26, 2013, 06:18:13 AM
I watched the st lawerence event last night they had huge crowds.  Hopefully they will be back. Muskegon will be interesting. Be watching your reports from the couch.

They had record crowds at Waddington, New York. They also had Governor Cuomo do a joint press release about next year with them. Probably why New York has a next year.

Interestingly, the original old record crowd happened right here at the Lake St. Clair Metropark the first time the Bassmasters came to Michigan.

I appreciate each and everyone who came out to watch and check out the big expo!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: YpsiBass on August 26, 2013, 12:25:37 PM
Two things that will stick in my mind though. One, Rick Clunn was a real downer and had the theme music to go with it. Two, and I can't remember who it was, but one of the pros at weigh-in was complaining about how difficult it was on the water.  You would think that if your given profession is fishing for a living, you'd be a bit more enthusiastic about it.

Good to see you YpsiBass, and meet your friend.

Rick Clunn has seemed down the past year or so the few times I have briefly talked to him. I hardly noticed many of the theme songs (well Morizu Shimizu's song tends to get stuck in my head ;D ) and don't remember Clunn's. I was too busy looking at the amazing hat! He should win the craziest hat award for sure.

I'm actually surprised someone as into the mental game as he has been isn't doing a different job in controlling his own words and apparent emotional status. But... having fished lots of tournaments while wanting desperately to advance my own self in the past, I have the same idea as many of you of the sheer mental pressures of fishing bass tournaments for a living.

Maybe he isn't like that all the time. He had a couple very close chances to win his record-extending Classic spot and he was near the bubble to qualify through the Elite standings. It looks like he might be short on points. That has to be difficult too. I'll watch to see if he makes it. He probably isn't like this all the time either.

djkimmel

Quote from: TimH on August 26, 2013, 03:19:23 PM
I hade been looking forward to this event since it was announced over one year ago.  It was an incredible week with many great experiences.  Some of the highlights were dinner with Ott DeFoe, working the weigh in on Thursday, Marshaling on Friday in Jason Christie's boat, getting my picture taken with Edwin Evers, Mark Zona, and Casey Martin (FLW Rookie) and meeting just about every pro over the four days.  The BASS staff does an incredible job making the events what they are, and I am extremely grateful for all they do.

My only disapointment was the response from the greater community.  Most people didn't know or didn't care about what was going on.  I understand that not everyone is a fisherman or a fan of pro fishing, but events like this need to be supported an celebrated as much as possible.  These type of events or not only a financial boost for the area, but a good way to not only promote Macomb County and Michigan, but the sport of bass fishing as well.

I loved this event so much, the first thing I did this morning was make reservations at a Muskegon hotel to attend the All Star Event.

Kimmel, I agree with you about my primary interest is getting BASS back to Michigan as soon as possible, so let me know if I can be of any help.

I'm with you on all this TimH!! I really wanted even bigger crowds but they do have a tougher draw in large metro areas in general. I will continue to do whatever small things I can to get them back and try to attract more people.

Overall, the event appears to be a pretty good success and I have information on what is needed to repeat it somewhere down the road (as soon as possible is my personal goal too!). I have enjoyed your enthusiasm and spirit throughout this entire process to date and I'm really, really happy to see you are already ready for the Muskegon Michigan Toyota All-Star Week! I will see you there!

Did we get a chance to run into each other at the tournament? I talked to so many people I can't even remember everyone I talked to. It keeps coming back to me a few people at a time as I see or read things.

TimH

Dan, no we didn't run into each other, all though I think I was sitting just a few rows behind you at yesterdays weigh in.  I was going to try I say hi yesterday, but as soon as the the weigh in was over, I made my way to congratulate Chris Lane.  After that was when I ran into Casey Martin and he and I talked for a little while and you and I didn't cross paths again.  I will make it a point to find you in muskegon. 

bassmandan

i was there all 4 days...i heard today that channel 7 was there on one of the mornings and i swear i thought i saw a camera guy from channel 4 yesterday
"dont stop keep fishing"

tim4081

Unfortunately due to family obligations I couldn't make the trip to the east side but I hope to make two if not three days at the all star event since its just 20 minutes up the road from me.

djkimmel

Quote from: bassmandan on August 26, 2013, 04:47:00 PM
i was there all 4 days...i heard today that channel 7 was there on one of the mornings and i swear i thought i saw a camera guy from channel 4 yesterday

Wow! Great job and thanks for backing me up. I was too preoccupied with my own todo list to get or ask for specifics about who was interviewing and shooting whom all the time. Everyone had things to do and places to be most of the time. A large number of people and processes are involved in this kind of undertaking.

I knew crews were coming and going. That being said, I've had a few chats with people already about what we can improve and how we can do better. I don't want to only dwell on what could have been better because overall it was an awesome event and I will try to dwell on the many good parts more than the lesser parts that could be better. More people were more satisfied than not and that is a good thing.

I see now that after things are done to get them back on the schedule, more local people need to be sought out to do a bunch of small parts that add up the a really big show.

djkimmel

Quote from: tim4081 on August 26, 2013, 09:50:46 PM
Unfortunately due to family obligations I couldn't make the trip to the east side but I hope to make two if not three days at the all star event since its just 20 minutes up the road from me.

If you can't make both, making one is the next best thing! See you there.

djkimmel

Quote from: TimH on August 26, 2013, 04:23:31 PM
Dan, no we didn't run into each other, all though I think I was sitting just a few rows behind you at yesterdays weigh in.  I was going to try I say hi yesterday, but as soon as the the weigh in was over, I made my way to congratulate Chris Lane.  After that was when I ran into Casey Martin and he and I talked for a little while and you and I didn't cross paths again.  I will make it a point to find you in muskegon. 

If I had my choice between tracking down fishing stars or djkimmel, I'd go with the fishing stars every time!! ;D

detroit1

Crap. I wanted to make at least 1 of the weigh - ins, but just couldn't make it.
WAVE THERAPY

djkimmel

I thought someone said you were there? I thought I even said hi?? Weird.

Dan

Finally getting time to work a little on my Elite Series experience on St. Clair. Have Wed, Thurs, and Friday done on my teardropbass.com site. Should have the next two days done..............
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

dartag

Quote from: Dan on September 17, 2013, 10:39:13 AM
Finally getting time to work a little on my Elite Series experience on St. Clair. Have Wed, Thurs, and Friday done on my teardropbass.com site. Should have the next two days done..............

Thanks  now i have something to read at lunch today.